Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Giving an existing robe a new texture (KOTOR 1)

Page: 1 of 1
 MyPonyJim
01-08-2007, 4:16 AM
I was reading through some of the tutorials for reskinning, creating new items, and altering old items - but one little piece is escaping me.

My goal is simply to give the Qel-Droma robes a new texture. Following along with the tutorials, I've found the .uti, icon, and texture files involved - but looking at the .uti interface, I can't figure how to direct it to a new .tga. I don't want to alter all of the brown jedi robes that use that same texture. I just want to point the Qel-Droma .uti (g_a_jedirobe06) to its own new unique texture.

Somehow I'm missing a step.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated - even if it's just to point me to another tutorial that dumbs it down even more for me.

-MPJ
 Kitty Kitty
01-08-2007, 4:32 AM
See the field in the .UTI that says "Texture Variation"?

It's set to 1 - this will be important in a moment.

In appearance.2da, robes are the modeli and texi fields, so... looking there, we find that most characters will use textures PFBI (female) and PMBI (male) for their robes.

Looking at the textures, we find that the PMBI's go up to "04", meaning there's already 4 different possible "standard robe" textures, and this robe uses #1 (which we found out above).

Soo... what you want to do is to pick a new number, which can be anything from 05 on up. It's good if you can pick one no one else has used, but that's also not always easy.

As an example however, let's just pick PFBI30 and PMBI30 (just picked this at random).

You need to save the UTI for the robe in \override, but change the texture variation field to "30". Then you need to save YOUR textures as PFBI30.TGA and PMBI30.TGA.

Now that robe will use the modified UTI and new textures, but all other robes will act as they always did.

Have fun. ;)

-Kitt
 MyPonyJim
01-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Thank you, Kitty! That worked great.

-MPJ
 Kitty Kitty
01-09-2007, 11:15 PM
My pleasure. Glad you got it working. :)

Just remember that if you ever install another mod that adds new textures for robes, if any of their textures use the same number you used they'll conflict (only one can exist at a time). If that happens, just change yours to another (hopefuly unique) number --remembering to change the texture field in the UTI as well as the number at the end of the texture names-- and everything should be groovy again. :)

-Kitt
Page: 1 of 1