Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Starfighters: To weak?

Page: 1 of 1
 JediMasterEd
10-08-2001, 8:55 AM
I really think that they should make the fighters stronger than they are now. what do you think???
 Eets
10-08-2001, 8:59 AM
While they may be too weak right now, once we can get to tech level 4 they will be considerably more powerful. So be mindful of the future, young padawan.
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 9:42 AM
What will there HP points be at in tech 4? I saw it in the tree or something but I forget.:rolleyes:
 Paladin
10-08-2001, 10:11 AM
WAY TOO WEAK.
TIE Bombers dont do s**t against buildings and ground troops and TIE FIGHTERS have less HP than ASP-7 the villager.
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Paladin
WAY TOO WEAK.
TIE Bombers dont do s**t against buildings and ground troops and TIE FIGHTERS have less HP than ASP-7 the villager.

Lol its true but in tech 4 they will have sheilds dont forget that!:)
 Maul403
10-08-2001, 10:32 AM
no the empire will not be given the shield upgrade
 Eets
10-08-2001, 10:34 AM
TIE ships cannot have shields because they have Twin Ion Engines. Shield would make them considerably less maneuverable and they just wouldn't be cool enough. It is possible for a remote ship or shield generator to produce shields for them though.
 Holy Templar
10-08-2001, 2:06 PM
Hello all,

To start off, the fighters are pretty sad. Me and a friend had built up our air force and sent them at each other. They killed each other and we nearly died laughing at how sad that was. Oh well, i'll see how the final version is.

mijtechboy,

Actually the last upgrade for the TIE Fighters is the TIE Defender. That does have shields but they did it just for balancing purposes.
I really wish they didn't because that fighter is kick ass.

-Holy Templar
 porkins14
10-08-2001, 2:09 PM
I am so sick of you guys posting stuff without doing the necessary research first. If you look at the tech trees (which none of you probably even know how to do), you will see that in tech level 4 you gain tons of upgrades to air, including shields. So dont judge the game by a demo in which you cant even upgrade to level 4!!!!! I am sure it will be much more even, once tech level 4 is implemented and you can upgrade.
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by porkins14
I am so sick of you guys posting stuff without doing the necessary research first. If you look at the tech trees (which none of you probably even know how to do), you will see that in tech level 4 you gain tons of upgrades to air, including shields. So dont judge the game by a demo in which you cant even upgrade to level 4!!!!! I am sure it will be much more even, once tech level 4 is implemented and you can upgrade.

I could not agree more.

1) In the technology trees when you get to level 4 the air craft get double HP and have sheilds making them much more reliable and are able to do some hefty damage

2) Air units arent supposed to be the focus of the game. In some SP levels, particularlly the space ones, it is true that they are the foucs but the majority of the SP level the focus is put towards more of ground units.

3)DONT JUDGE EVERYTHING BY THE DEMO! Yes the demo is basically the game because the ART is locked but you dont get to use tech level 4 so dont say air units suck untill you have used them fully.
 Holy Templar
10-08-2001, 9:52 PM
porkins14,
Your comments are unjustified and blind in nature. I was specifically talking about the Imperial fighters and how THEY DO NOT HAVE SHIELDS AT ALL(look at their tech tree). I know how to look in the tech tree. I own and have beaten every campaign in AOK.

Fighters aren't everything in a game but they are still very important and if all they do is fly real fast then stop in a "dog fight", then that has to be fixed (if possible).

Come on, TA had superb dog fighting and that game is old by gamer standards and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is brand spanking new! If you go and say,'Go and play your TA and don't bother us because we're "real Star Wars fans" then you are a truly sad person(s).

My standards are high for a game because I would like to buy it with my hard earned money . The ground units are fun to use but I like my air support as well. When I see a highly maneurable fighter stop in the air and attack the target while staying still, the pilot is either:
a. High on something
b. Just plain stupid
c. Jar Jar Binks(this option includes all above answers)

Hopefully you see my point. I also never said I won't get Galactic Battlegrounds. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what has been changed and what hasen't. Hopefully Lucasarts will make improvements on this, if they do I buy it. If not, I move on. It shouldn't be that you have to get to Tech 4 to actually hurt your enemy. It wasn't like that in AOK.

Also if you have any arguments to my post I suggest you do it in a calm, civilized manner.

-Holy Templar
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 10:00 PM
Im tired of people complaining:o so please just stop it and make some constructive arguements on why they should be stronger.
 JediMasterEd
10-08-2001, 10:09 PM
look, i really don't want an argument in this thread so, post what you think
:duel:
(besides, this is based on the demo, not the full game)
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by edwardc87
look, i really don't want an argument in this thread so, post what you think
(besides, this is based on the demo, not the full game)
AHHH i cant stand it any longer.

1) graphics wise THIS IS THE FINISHED GAME

2)weakness and strength wise NOTHING SIGNIFAICANT IS GOING TO HAPPEN

3)GABER SAID ALL THERE FOCUSING ON RIGHT NOW IS FIXING BUGS!
 Holy Templar
10-08-2001, 10:25 PM
How to make them stronger? Hmmm, well maybe if they moved around while attacking it might appear better and would please me as long as the fighters miss while the fight is going on. They do sometimes miss but thats not the point. Also when they attack buildings or ground units, they shouldn't sit there. For example, the TIE Fighter is supposed to be good at strafing runs, but the fighters have to keep moving, which they don't in SW:GB. Things like that would make me happy.

Maybe I just got alittle to used to the Star Wars Fleet Academy Homeworld TC. But they could atleast keep the fighters moving while attacking and make it seem more realistic. I am curious how the tech 4 upgrades will work out though.

The game does show promise, so my opinion is not final in any way, shape, or form. I always wanted an RTS like this, let's just see how Lucasarts handles this. There is no reason is argue over this since we really accomplish nothing except possibly causing a flaming war which we don't need. I saw it at the SWFA boards at the Gaming Union Boards and it got really ugly (and I mean REALLY UGLY).

Exactly as you said Luke Skywalker,"...make some constructive arguements ...". Oh and I know what its like hearing complaing about a game you really like, it gets you annoyed and sometimes just plain pissed off at that person(s).

-Holy Templar
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-08-2001, 10:28 PM
Don't complain about the Imperial fighters! Imperials aren't strategically meant to rely on an air force! They've even got a penalty for air units (takes longer to build and costs more). It seems you guys are playing this game just for the air units. If you do, why do you play the Empire at all? Go for the Rebels and, when the game ships, the Royal Naboo.

Upgrades in tech level 3:
Flight school: +20% accuracy
Enlarged bomb hold: +300% bomb area of effect. :eek:

Upgrades in tech level 4:
Efficient manufacturing: -25% manufacturing time
Advanced Flight school: +20% accuracy
Shield modifications: Fighters and bombers are shielded
Armored platework: +4 Dura-Armor
Automated processes: -33% creation time
Resistance to conversion (Jedi temple)

Fast fighter
Advanced fighter

Enhanced bomber
Advanced bomber

Final results

Advanced bomber:

Hit points: 30 +30 regenerating shield points
Attack: 7 +300% area effect and 140% accuracy
Armor: 0 (remember that close combat doesn't affect them).
Dura-Armor: 4
Range: 1
Resistant to Sith and Jedi conversions
Creation time: 42%

Advanced fighter:

Hit points: 30 +30 regenerating hit points
Attack: 5 and 140% accuracy
Armor: 0
Dura-Armor: 4
Range: 4
Resistant to Sith and Jedi conversions
Creation time: 42%

They take under half the normal time to create and you have to remove 30 HP from them (their shields) before you even start hurting them at all. Think about this strategy:

[list=1]
Build lots of cheap Z-95s.
Upgrade.
[/list=1]

Result: A group of heavily armed Advanced X-Wings that takes about no time to replace (42% per cent of the time!). Y-wings have an extra 40% accuracy decreasing all chances to miss, and even a miss will damage the unit due to the enhanced blast radius!

So, are they weak or not? Oh, and I forgot: If you're playing a game with "All tech" selected.. you can get even more (in fact, this will cause the Empire to lose their fighter penalties as well :)).
 Compa_Mighty
10-08-2001, 10:41 PM
Everything is on Strategy, folks. Bring down the shields with troops, and fighters come next.

BTW, the game will be much more balanced in tech level 4. Wait till then, and then we'll talk. ;)
 /\/\ike
10-08-2001, 10:49 PM
I think they didn't want the air units to be strong. If they did everybodys favorite unit would be the fighters and they probobly want the most important units on the ground.
(+plus they named it BattleGrounds ):rolleyes:
 Maul403
10-08-2001, 11:28 PM
only two civs get shield upgrades if i am not mistaken

and i think air units are not for base rushes and sieges but to protect your own base and to hit enemys while in combat

EXAMPLE:you have control of the monument in the center...your opponent has built up a considerable attack force of ground and air units..your air units are waiting back at your base for saftey...when he attacks most of his air units are destroyed by your AA turretts you have placed around and now only his troops and siege weapons remain...u have your troops and turrets target AA troopers first then move in your fighters and bombers to pick off siege weapons and the remainder of his troops...called strategy...get used to it
 jeffdark
10-09-2001, 12:29 AM
okay, maybe the will be better, but you have to admit, they really blow in the demo. A whole squadron of like..12 can be taken out within like...5 sec. with a missile turret, or a fortress..which brings me to another point. FORTRESS! ACK! SOO POWERFULL! IT'S A TURRET, AN AA and soo much more! many..those things are hard to get past :p..so hopefully, fighters stronger, and turrets and fortresses weaker....but i like the fortress on my side :)
 god3345
10-09-2001, 12:35 AM
well first off to effectivly judge a unit you should look at all aspects of it, gb airunits:
1)easy to destroy.
2)bad vs buildings.
3)fairly low cost.
4)very high speed.
5)strong vs. armoured units(as i recall).
6)upgrades really dont matter as anti-air also gets upgrades.

so looking at this what should you use them for?
buildings- no
sieges-no
defense(vs.siege weapons)-yes
quick worker raids-yes
recon-yes

you have to figure out the good and bad aspects of a unit and use them to your advantage. i have never used fighters for or with a direct assault force, they simply cant perform that task effectivly.
 Maul403
10-09-2001, 9:18 AM
read this from GameSpot: "Despite their ground attack, fighters are really designed to attack other air units. It is the bomber that is geared toward mass destruction of ground troops."

note bombing ground troops...not bases...starfighters are used as hit and run...while your enemy is moving in a group drop some bombs, rein down some lasers..then take off

also from gamespot: "Air units might add a new element, but they still must be managed properly. They are a component of a well-rounded army, not the sole ingredient. Air units have low hit points--the advanced X-Wings and Y-Wings have only 30 hit points without upgrades, so they aren't invincible. But as stated earlier, against an unprepared foe, they can end the game. To make up for the low hit points of their starships, Rebels can get shields, which can be researched in tech level four. Shields effectively double a starship's hit points and then regenerate. Proving their air superiority further, Rebels get all accuracy upgrades and are thus able to improve the accuracy of their starships' attacks by 40 percent. They also get full speed and armor upgrades."
 _Sheepcidus_
10-09-2001, 11:21 AM
Basing your arguments on gamespot isn't really smart they thought the spanish would be overpowered in aoc !!

But I still think the air units are by far to weak even with those upgrades aa troopers would waste them in tree shots they even get upgrades themselves so.
Keeping them for devence for siege would be a bit dumb wasting your resource on that, you need to be using your units not raking in resources and keeping your units in your base.
And btw Star wars expert doesn't auto mean you know how to play, I killed every SW expert on the zone I met so anyone up for a game just ZM me on _Sheepcidus_
 porkins14
10-09-2001, 2:08 PM
Holy templar, was it me you were referring to as not posting in a civilized manner?? When was that?? please point that out to me. You say Tie ships are too weak. Bro, watch a star wars movie, you will see why. They dont have shields and get killed by rebel ships. Once again, you havent seen the upgrades in tech 4, so dont judge. I know anti air is upgraded but not as much as air if you check the tech tree. Once again, a message to everyone. Some realism has to be sacrificed to make good gameplay. yes, the ships just hover and fire, but once again, if they made attack runs, that would make the even more vulnerable to anti air fire. This allows you to control your air units and keep them away from Anti air facilities.
 GhostKeeper
10-09-2001, 5:19 PM
im so tired about people whining about air units
 Compa_Mighty
10-09-2001, 5:27 PM
Wait till Tech 4, and you'll see...
Page: 1 of 1