Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Open Source PS3?

Page: 1 of 1
 milo
12-28-2006, 1:13 PM
Check it. (http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=20245&hed=Open+Source+PS3%3f+)

Seems pretty neat-o. I wonder if you could use it just like a pc.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-28-2006, 3:40 PM
Well, probably not just like a PC, but, given that the PS3's hardware specs are comparable to a PC's, I suspect Linux will run a hell of a lot more like PC on the PS3 than on the PS2 (which someone also made a version of Linux for).
 Carlo El Sanchez
12-28-2006, 6:00 PM
PS3 couldn't overcome Xbox 360 even though they tried! hahahah
 Astrotoy7
12-29-2006, 1:23 AM
PS3 couldn't overcome Xbox 360 even though they tried! hahahah

keep your childish fanboy wars rubbish to yourself. This is a forum for tech discussion.

As for 'overcome' - you really should be more clear. A ps3 is technically far superior to a 360. A Wii is more innovative than a 360, and will outsell both its rivals if current figures are anything to go by. Each console has great things to offer. Be thankful you have the affluence and means to play one. Many people dont have that luxury.

As for linux on ps3....my question is...WHY ! You can patch together a much cheaper pc and play with linux til teh cows come home. Apart from some third party/homebrew type apps(and exploits) I cant see what why sony have bothered with it. Linux people are not console players by and large.... theyre moreso thge type to put a box together themselves, the thriftiest way they can :)

Interesting to see what develops out of this though...

mtfbwya
 Mercid
12-29-2006, 8:55 PM
A ps3 is technically far superior to a 360. A Wii is more innovative than a 360, and will outsell both its rivals if current figures are anything to go by. Each console has great things to offer.
I think that a tad untrue, by "technical" standards the Ps3 is only marginally more innovative than the Xbox360, they're practically the same in most respect's. Only the Blueray disc drive seems to be the one up on the Xbox.

Besides what really matter's is your preference, I got an Xbox360 because I liked the game line-up(Gears of war, Mass effect, Oblivion, Etc...) and I'm a big music fan so I loved the music player on it.
Hell, if I had enough money I would've bought all three console's and a high end computer to boot.
But really, saying nasty things about the Ps3 and the Xbox360 isn't going to make the console wars go away. :rolleyes:

As for linux on ps3....my question is...WHY ! You can patch together a much cheaper pc and play with linux til teh cows come home. Apart from some third party/homebrew type apps(and exploits) I cant see what why sony have bothered with it. Linux people are not console players by and large.... theyre moreso thge type to put a box together themselves, the thriftiest way they can :)
So very true...
 Astrotoy7
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
...But really, saying nasty things about the Ps3 and the Xbox360 isn't going to make the console wars go away. :rolleyes:

Indeed. As long as people are paying money for consoles they will never go away. The console wars start at the manufacturers themselves. This happens in the PC world as well, with the Intel vs AMD and Apple vs Windows stuff that has made it into the mass media as well...but at least the marketing people and execs of these companies are getting paid to undermine and slander their opposition :)

The cell processor is a mysterious piece of kit. Ive been following it since its R&D days - it of course being a joint project between Toshiba, Sony & IBM.

The ps3 also isnt the last you'll hear of this mode of CPU with awesome potential. The cell is intended for uses far beyond a gaming console - so the version seen in a ps3 is really a cell-lite.

The wiki on the Cell Processor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_processor) is a good little intro to what the cell is technically sound, devoid of fanboy bias :p

It is really difficult, and *inaccurate* to benchmark the cell from PC standards, which is what can be done much easier to a Power PC based Xbox360. What Sony can achieve with it is really up to their devs..... if they can really utilise those 7 processors effectively, then they will perhaps match the hype and promise that had gone into marketing the cell and ps3.

Either way - just like Vista, this current gen of consoles, is the last of its kind. There are a few directions the whole multimedia industry can go in - but its a bit unclear which at this stage..... :)

mtfbwya
 Mercid
12-30-2006, 1:43 AM
Either way - just like Vista, this current gen of consoles, is the last of its kind. There are a few directions the whole multimedia industry can go in - but its a bit unclear which at this stage.....
The industry will go in any direction they smell money from.
That said, at least both console's have Assassin's creed. :)
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3561/wallpaper3bs.png)
 Carlo El Sanchez
12-30-2006, 2:17 AM
keep your childish fanboy wars rubbish to yourself. This is a forum for tech discussion.

As for 'overcome' - you really should be more clear. A ps3 is technically far superior to a 360. A Wii is more innovative than a 360, and will outsell both its rivals if current figures are anything to go by. Each console has great things to offer. Be thankful you have the affluence and means to play one. Many people dont have that luxury.

Interesting to see what develops out of this though...

mtfbwya

ok mate let me tell you my opinion - 1. PS3 is NOT beter than an Xbox 360, they are completely tied with power and graphics ect... except for PS3's obserd price because of their Blu-Ray DVD, and 2. a Nintendo Wii i consider is in its own league of being interactive and so on. 3. It is also NOT better than an Xbox 360 because an Xbox 360 focuses on power, graphics and next-gen gaming, a Wii is the next-gen of interactive gameplay where HD qaulity and graphics dont matter.

ok? thats my opion only, you have your own :) and im just joking around because im a proud Xbox 360 owner. I don't have anything against PS3 even though i hate Sony.
 Johnpp
12-30-2006, 2:27 AM
I like Xbox. I hate PlayStation though.
 Carlo El Sanchez
12-30-2006, 2:32 AM
*Dances behind Astrotoy7's back* cough.......way to go vaderrocksf, supprt the true console...
 Johnpp
12-30-2006, 3:39 AM
You like Xbox to? Cool.
 Carlo El Sanchez
12-30-2006, 4:35 AM
yep, im also from Australia, in Melbourne* you ?
 Johnpp
12-30-2006, 5:18 AM
I live in Brisbane. Yeah thats it, the boiling hot lava place.
 Astrotoy7
12-30-2006, 5:37 AM
Zalabaar and vaderrocksf - please dont use the forums for chat.

3. Spamming

Spamming is strictly prohibited. Your post needs to contribute to the discussion or the topic.

3.1 Spam details

Do not post messages that are irrelevant to the topic. This is spamming and is prohibited. Your posts should contribute to the thread.

You should not be able to look up at your screen and see that the majority of topics or messages on a page were just created or posted by you.

Chatting is speaking in a light, familiar way and includes informal talk or one sentence posts like "I agree." Chatting is considered spamming and will be dealt with accordingly. The staff will lock blatantly spammy threads at their discretion.

There are many active console related threads in LFNs community areas :)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1