Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Noobish WinRAR Question

Page: 1 of 1
 Q
12-03-2006, 4:46 PM
I've been using WinRAR for quite some time, but never before with divided archives (XXX.part1.rar, XXX.part2.rar). I know to put the two parts into the same folder and to extract part 1 first, but when I extract part 2 it asks if I want to overwrite what was extracted from part 1. What do I do? I've checked the help file, but it's rather vague, and I know that somebody here has had to deal with this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-03-2006, 5:16 PM
Select them both, right click one of them and extract them both at the same time. The only split-file archives I've ever downloaded were .rxx files (.r00, .r01, .r02, etc) though.
 Q
12-03-2006, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Jmac. Unfortunately, it still asks if I want to overwrite when I try to extract both at the same time, with no indication of what I'm supposed to do, or whether the archives are or are not being combined in the process. I have to admit that I'm stumped!
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-03-2006, 5:54 PM
Hmm. What kind of files are in the archive? Maybe they're just not supposed to be combined. Or, if they are, you could try renaming the first part to "arch.r00" and the second to "arch.r01" and try what I suggested again.
 Q
12-03-2006, 6:07 PM
I guess that I should have said this earlier. It's part of the Community Expansion Pack 2.0 (CEP2.0) for NWN1. It''s made to be DL'ed in parts for those of us who are "bandwidth challenged" (like me!). They are made to be combined, so you have to have the separate parts in the same folder when you extract them, but neither the CEP readme nor the WinRAR help file go into detail on WTF to do next.

Edit: Well, I renamed the files like you said and it still didn't work. I changed the name of the 1st volume from cep2_core1.part1.rar to arch.r00 and the second part from cep2_core1.part2.rar to arch.r01 and it looked like it was going to work but then I got error msgs. saying that I need to start extraction from a previous volume to unpack cep2_core1.hak and that there were no files to extract from part1.r01, so I'm back to square 1. GRRRRR!
 Astrotoy7
12-04-2006, 2:09 AM
Cmon Q !! if a file is already in .rar format, its contents are ready to go, not split like a .rxx. The contents are split and meant to be manually reassembled by YOU, not winrar ;)

I believe the file spilt is meant to be handled this way(rather than a winrar trick)

1. Download the necessary files

2. Extract any .hak files to your NwN \hak directory.
Extract the .tlk file to your NwN \tlk directory.
Extract any .erf files to your NwN \erf directory.

3. Enjoy.

If your NwN install lacks either a tlk or erf directory, you can simply create those; right click - new - new folder and name them correctly (all lower-case).

Hope that helps.

Still, for future reference - you could have just have used a download manager like getright etc and just downloaded the proper, hassle free file. Thats one handy program, especially for dialup users.

good luck !!

mtfbwya
 Q
12-04-2006, 3:03 AM
This is ALL that the readme says:

NOTE: if the file you are downloading comes in “parts” (for example the filenames
contain part01, part02...), then you must download ALL parts to the same folder before
uncompressing with winrar!Not enough ****ing information, and WinRAR's help is no better!!!!!

And I have Leechget, which works fine. It's my ISP that sucks. I can't just set it and leave, because the mother****er boots me off at irregular intervals without so much as a warning. There's far less of a chance of data corruption if I download the separate parts, otherwise I WOULD have downloaded the FULL version.

As a matter of fact, I TRIED to download the full version, the g*dd***ed ISP booted me off about 100MB (several hours' worth) into the download, and I couldn't recover it even with Leechget. It's taken a whole ****ing week to download this thing, and if I can't use these files I'm just going to give up.

And if I had $30.00 to spend on GetRight, I'd put it towards DSL, since I can't get cable out here in BFE. Then I could tell NetZero what to go do with itself.

AND the names of the single file in these 2 parts ARE IDENTICAL, and that's why it asks to overwrite while unpacking the second part.
 Q
12-04-2006, 4:00 AM
while downloading stuff I...uh...can't mention here.:lol:

AHAAA!

Thanks, Chase!!!

THAT is probably what it's doing in this case, without telling me that that is what it's doing (at least, I HOPE that that's what it's doing)! DUH! Damn, I feel stupid! All that cussing and spitting for nothing.:swear: I KNEW that another point of view was all that was needed!

Thanks, again!
 Astrotoy7
12-04-2006, 6:25 AM
so it was an .rxx file or not ?? The way you described it, it seemed to be an set of .rar files - which cant be extracted all simultaneously into separated directories. Like chase said, a .rar file can be amongst a set of .rxx files but i fits a whole separate bunch of .rar files, then it has to be done manually. There obviously must be a version like that out of the CEP since it was referred to on biowares forums.

lolz...now Im getting confused :D

assuming it is a .rxx fileset.

1. download them all
1.5 - copy and paste all of them to tinker with extensions, so you dont mess up the original files just in case you mess up.

2. rename the <filename>.part01.rar to <filename>.r01, <filename>.part02.rar to <filename>.r01 - keep the orginal filename the same, just change the extension(of course you will need to enalke showing extensions in your folder options) (nb. there should be a .r00 file, so this may bewhat to rename the first one to....you'll just have to try and see what happens !

3. Once you have done this, Right click ANY one of them > there'll be an option in the winrar menus that says "Extract to /<filename>. If its all goos, then its extract all teh constituent files to a folder called <filename>

anyway, hope you sort it out !!

mtfbwya
 Q
12-04-2006, 7:16 AM
lolz...now Im getting confused
Yeah, me too!

The compressed files I'm referring to are named EXACTLY "cep2_core1.part1.rar" and "cep2_core1.part2.rar." All that the readme says concerning this is this:
NOTE: if the file you are downloading comes in “parts” (for example the filenames contain part01, part02...), then you must download ALL parts to the same folder before uncompressing with winrar!
2. rename the <filename>.part01.rar to <filename>.r01, <filename>.part02.rar to <filename>.r01 - keep the orginal filename the same, just change the extension(of course you will need to enalke showing extensions in your folder options) (nb. there should be a .r00 file, so this may bewhat to rename the first one to....you'll just have to try and see what happens !
Read the above post. ;) I already tried this, and I got error messages also posted above. I just tried it again to be sure. :giveup: I'm calling it a night, and will tackle it again tomorrow (later today).

EDIT: Well, I've come to figure out that WinRAR was combining the two archives automatically all along, as I suspected. I figured this out by removing the second half from the folder an trying to unpack just the first half on it's own. When I did this, WinRAR would ask for the second half, which it wouldn't do when both halves were in the folder, so PROBLEM SOLVED (I think)! And yes, I feel really stupid.:rolleyes:
 Astrotoy7
12-05-2006, 3:58 AM
... And yes, I feel really stupid.:rolleyes:

you've just learnt(and problem solved) something new about an aspect of very commonly use software. Thats hardly stupidity !

what you gotta do is get yourself some broadband...surely there are some cheap student plans out there ??

mtfbwya
 Q
12-05-2006, 2:25 PM
I'd LOVE to get me some broadband. Unfortunately, it's just not available where I live (yet). There's no cable. There isn't even any DSL access. This may change in the near future, however. I've even looked into satellite broadband, but it's outrageously expensive, being way more than cable would be if it were available, so I'm stuck with dialup for the time being.:(

Accelerated dialup's OK for most things. It's just when it comes to downloading anything bigger than 10MB that it becomes such a pain in the ass.:swear:
 Astrotoy7
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd LOVE to get me some broadband. Unfortunately, it's just not available where I live (yet). There's no cable. There isn't even any DSL access. This may change in the near future, however. I've even looked into satellite broadband, but it's outrageously expensive, being way more than cable would be if it were available, so I'm stuck with dialup for the time being.:(

Accelerated dialup's OK for most things. It's just when it comes to downloading anything bigger than 10MB that it becomes such a pain in the ass.:swear:

I know your pain Q. Im 31 years old and have only had DSL for the last year. Cable and satellite arent even available in my area, it was a blessing to get DSL out here, as we are in the super-outermost suburbs of Melbourne(AU). You probably would have ISDN available, but it is quite expensive unfortunately :(

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1