Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can I transfer files from a PC to a Mac

Page: 1 of 1
 gandiva
11-20-2006, 9:01 PM
I'm thinking of getting a mac and I have no doubts about getting one except for a few things.

1. Can I transfer my files from PC to Mac? The types of files I want to transfer are software application files like Macromedia Flash, Maya, Photoshop, etc. I was wondering if they would work, too.

2. Also, if I do switch to a mac and have transfered my files, will the files work? Do I have to get mac versions of the programs I have?

3. Lastly, (it's different from the topic) which is better? Intel Core 2 Duo or the lastest AMD?

Help would be appreciated!
 Det. Bart Lasiter
11-20-2006, 9:17 PM
1) Nope ;_;
2) Yes ;_;
3) Intel just released their Core2 Quadro (which blew everything else out of the water on the benchmarks (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/02/kentsfield_released/)), but AMD's quad-core processor is due out fairly soon, so if you're planning on getting a new processor, I'd wait to see what that can do.

***Edit***
You can use BootCamp to install Windows XP on the new Intel Macs, so you don't have to buy the Mac versions of the programs, you will have to reinstall them though.
 CalcProgrammer1
11-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Slightly off topic, but both PC's and Macs (new and old) run Linux, so if you hate both Windows and Mac OS, you're free to choose your computer... :)

It MAY be possible that sometime in the future Wine (Wine Is Not Emulator- a program that allows running of Windows programs on an X86 based Linux) may be ported to Mac OS because the new Macs with Intel are X86 systems.
 ChAiNz.2da
11-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Mac's OSX underbase coding is Darwin... a UNIX foundation ;)

Using terminal, Xcode, etc. will make any Linux/Unix user happy.. and OSX has a fully implemented X11 & Xfree86 infrastructure.

As for running Windows programs on the new Intel Macs.. you can also use Bootcamp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/).. (if you're not Linux or UNIX inclined) :)
Page: 1 of 1