Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

FAN COUNT!

Page: 1 of 1
 TSR
11-06-2006, 9:38 AM
No, not the loyal follower type...
I've got 5 fans arranged inside my comp, alll needed to keep the bad mofo cool enought to be able to overclock. So, i was wondering how many other people usually have when in general. As mine aren't really any special brand name or anything, i was wondering if there were any more "efficient" fans out there. Because my comp sounding like a jet engine everytime i start it up for the first 5 mins has got really annoying.

any helpz~?~
 stingerhs
11-06-2006, 10:43 AM
you're talking about case fans, right?? if not, i have four fans: two 80mm case fans, one 80mm CPU cooler fan, and a fan on the graphics card.

and yes, it is possible to get more efficient fans. i usually go for CoolerMaster, Antec, and Thermaltake fans on my systems. however, i also look for the noise level (in decibels, db) and the cubic feet per minute (cfm) rating when i pick out case fans. generally, if you want a high cfm rating and a low db rating, you need to go with a big fan like a 120mm or a 92mm fan over an 80mm fan.
 Darth333
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
As stingerhs said, definitely chose 120mm fans over the smaller ones if you can: more efficiency for less noise.

I have this case that comes with three fans (standard) 120mm fans with an option for two additional fans (unused at this time): http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81802)
 Astrotoy7
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Mine total 7 including the ones on the gfx cards.

*Chassis fan rear
*Smaller fans front Land R for airflow near lower vents
*PSU fan
*CPU fan
*2 x GPU fans(one on each of the cards themselves)

lolz...all part of the reason I needed a 750W power supply :p

Mobo utility tells me:
CPU currently 32 Celsius
Mobo itself 29 C
Fans doing a good 2600+ rpms

considering all that going on there, its actually pretty quiet atm. My smallform intel media center pc occasionally makes more noise than a WW2 machine gun... Those damn intel CPUs :(

mtfbwya
 T7nowhere
11-07-2006, 3:31 PM
4 80mm Case Fans: 1 intake on the front, 1 intake on the side 2 rear outtake. all Vantec stealth. I ditched the noisy colored led fans that came with the case.
1 cpu fan Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu 120mm Fan
1 gpu fan Zalman VF700-Cu Had to upgrade to that from the crap that was on the 6600gt
2 PSU fans

8 fans total. Considering how many fans I have in my system it is pretty quiet, the psu is the loudest.
 CalcProgrammer1
11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
PSU back fan (glows blue :) )
PSU down fan (also glows blue :) )
CPU fan
Case fan
Graphics card fan

Yep 5 fans...and pretty quiet...
All are stock fans...and knowing the HP system, probably cheap ones.
My CPU gets around 30 Celsius, my mobo, PSU, and a laptop HD (which is in my desktop system) all read around 55 Celsius.
My friend gave me an old Pentium PC with 2 fans...one in PSU and one on CPU, and man, that thing is LOUD!
 Darth333
11-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Forgot to add that I also have the default psu, cpu and gpu fans...so that makes 6 in total. Apparently my new system is a quiet one but I find it rather noisy. I have to wear earphones or it drives me crazy :( (but I am very sensitive to noise and even the continuous "B flat" sound emitted by fluorescent lamps in the office annoys me).
Page: 1 of 1