Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Music Mod Tutorial

Page: 1 of 1
 Torthane
11-03-2006, 3:31 PM
Original Thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=172247)

A few people have asked me how to make a music mod and seeing as I am the only one who has realeased one so far (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Music_Replacement_Mod;67264) I thought I would post a tutorial for those that are interested in learning how to make their own music mods.

Here goes:

))Part 1: stuff you will need before you get started:

You will need to have KOTOR II installed on your computer (this tutorial will probably work for KOTOR I as well but I'm not sure)

A sound editing program is also suggested. I used Audacity wich can be downloaded off the internet for free. You can download it at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/)

Finally you will need some music tracks to replace the game tracks (.mp3 format is best but .wav will work as well)

))Part 2: Tutorial:

It would be a good idea to make a folder somewhere on your hard drive devoted to your music mod. You can call it something like 'KOTOR II Music Mod' or whatever you want. Now make a sub folder called 'New Music' or something. Put the music you want to replace the KOTOR II music with into that folder.

Now you should go take a look at the 'streammusic' folder in your KOTOR II main folder so you can become familiar with the way TSL (The Sith Lords) does its music. You will notice that the game's music files are .wav format. These .wav files are compressed though and this is why I told you to install audacity on your computer; you can't open these music files with windows media player. What you have to do if you want to know which file is which (say you want to replace the combat track for Peragus, you will first need to know what track it is). The way to listen to these files is to change the extension from .wav to .mp3 and then open them in audacity.

Ok, once you know the name of the track you want to replace simply rename one of your music files to the name of the track you intend to replace with the .mp3 extension instead of .wav . Pop your new renamed music file into the 'stream music' folder and move the original TSL file out of the folder into a backup folder somewhere.

The last thing you need to do is go to the 'streamsounds' folder and move these files out of it (you could put them in the backup folder with the TSL music that you replaced). The files you need to move are labeled:
mus_sbat_000.wav
mus_sbat_260.wav
mus_sbat_400.wav
mus_sbat_800.wav
mus_sbat_100.wav
mus_sbat_300.wav
mus_sbat_500.wav
mus_sbat_900.wav
mus_sbat_200.wav
mus_sbat_303.wav
mus_sbat_600.wav
mus_sbat_230.wav
mus_sbat_351.wav
mus_sbat_700.wav
mus_sbat_final.wav

The reason these files need to be deleted is becuase they play at the end of a combat track.

Well that's it! What you have just read is the basics of making a music mod! Good job with all of that reading and feel free to post comments or questions. Thanks for reading and I hope I was of assistance!
Page: 1 of 1