Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The benchmark thread

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
10-28-2006, 1:39 PM
What apps/sites do you use to benchmark the different aspects of your PC?

I use Fraps (www.fraps.com) to benchmark FPS in videogames and I use PC Pitstop (www.pcpitstop.com) to check the general health of my system and safety issues and stuff...

Other than that, I use PC Wizard and FreshDiagnose (mentioned in other threads in this forum) to check on my CPU, fans, etc...

EDIT:
Also feel free to post any results/screens of benchmarks you use...(other than PC Wizard and similar)
 TSR
10-28-2006, 3:54 PM
isnt this like the killer apps thread?
ah well, i dont really have any. Just trixx for my overclocking, and thats about it. I have the knowledge on these programs, but choose not to use them. basically because i cant be bothered with the hassle. My comp can easily handle these, but i'm like a sunday driver with it. barely letting it play to its ability :(
 Negative Sun
10-28-2006, 6:17 PM
It's not like the killer apps thread because this one is about benchmarking in particular...
 TSR
10-28-2006, 7:07 PM
Oh yeah, my bad :xp:
 Astrotoy7
10-29-2006, 3:15 AM
to tells truth, I dont benchmark myself, but do throughly research components in a build. Often a build ive come uo with is based on one that ive read benchmarks for. Of course, there is the incidental stuff you notice without actually formally benchmarking - eg. performance in doom and oblivion with effects on ;) I can handle both on ultra settings now so Im not perturbed :D

I havent even bothered with overclocking because I havent found it necessary with my AMD x2 4800 :)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
10-29-2006, 6:18 PM
Btw, what is the difference between the 4600 and the 4800? Don't they both have the same speed (2.4Ghz if I remember correctly), if that is so, why go for the 4800?

About benchmarking, are you not even curious how your system compares against others out there?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-29-2006, 7:21 PM
Btw, what is the difference between the 4600 and the 4800? Don't they both have the same speed (2.4Ghz if I remember correctly), if that is so, why go for the 4800?

About benchmarking, are you not even curious how your system compares against others out there?
The 4800+ has a larger cache. And, no I don't really care how my system compares, it runs all my games, plays video smoothly, and does everything else I need it to do.
 Negative Sun
10-30-2006, 5:36 AM
Does a larger cache make much of a difference?
 Astrotoy7
10-30-2006, 7:59 AM
Does a larger cache make much of a difference?

Sure does. Not only that but Intels dual cores boast inclusive cache, making them a bit more efficient at processing simultaneous tasks.

Here's the Wiki on CPU Cache (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L1-Cache). It's pretty tech heavy, but the bit about "Multilevel cache" is the one to pay attention to.

Hopefully, Qliveur or stingerhs will pop along and spell it out in a bit more detail than I have ;)

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1