Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which Should I Use?

Page: 1 of 1
 Diego Varen
09-22-2006, 1:51 AM
I have a new Fic planned, (Hopefully everyone will like it and I won't give up early on) and I don't know whether to do it in First Person or Third Person. I would like to do First Person, since I haven't done that in a long time and all my current Fics have been in Third Person, which for me, I can't describe everything, that I can in First Person. Please vote. Oh and just to let you know I voted for First Person.
 Jason Skywalker
09-22-2006, 5:08 AM
Hmm, try first person, something new, something exciting.
 igyman
09-22-2006, 7:22 AM
I'm not going to vote on this because it doesn't matter that much to me. If the story is interesting the fic should be read, no matter from which perspective you write it.
 Jae Onasi
09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
If you're going for something new, experiment with 1st person. Just know that you'll have to be very careful about how things get done, because the only way for the reader to know something is if your main character sees, hears, or experiences something first-hand. They can't know what's going on in someone else's head or see what's happening somewhere else.
If you're going to do a lot of personal development or you're just wanting to learn how to write in that voice, 1st person can be the way to go. If you're doing a lot of action/adventure, stay with 3rd person, since it'll give you a lot more freedom.
 CSI
09-22-2006, 8:22 PM
First person. I think put *you* into the fiction, and to be a padawan/knight/master/grand master/council member/sith lord/sith marauder/sith apprentice, etc...is cool, isn't it? Yeah, thinking about you to slaughter all Sith or banish the Jedi orders...Isn't it fun? It is, indeed.
 HK-42
09-22-2006, 8:36 PM
3rd 1st good for me any way though im use to 3rd so i closed my eyes and picked one:D
 JediKnight707
09-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Well, you could do something like, a guy remembering, or writing down a story, so a little of it takes place in 1st but the story is mainly 3rd. Personally, it depends on the Fic. Like Jae said, if you're going for more of the action/adventure type, choose 3rd.
 DarthDani23
10-09-2006, 9:01 PM
First person... before i joined i read a few of your fics and i think if you did first person you could put more emotion in it but hey it's your call.
 Diego Varen
10-10-2006, 1:18 AM
Well thanks DarthDani23, but this Thread was inactive a while ago.

I'll lock it then, but if you'd like it reopened at any point, Pottsie, just let me know. :) --Jae
Page: 1 of 1