Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Script Question: Multiple Dialogs

Page: 1 of 1
 goldberry
08-22-2006, 1:19 PM
How can I make it so that the first time the PC holds a conversation with an NPC, it does one dialog file, and then from then on it does another depending on the answers given in the first conversation?

Thanks alot for any help.
 Darth InSidious
08-22-2006, 2:11 PM
I think you just create different dialogue nodes, and add a script to one of them, indicating that you have already spoken to the NPC once. There is a script in the game files for this which IIRC is called something like "c_talktrue.ncs" without the quotes.
 stoffe
08-22-2006, 2:18 PM
How can I make it so that the first time the PC holds a conversation with an NPC, it does one dialog file, and then from then on it does another depending on the answers given in the first conversation?

Thanks alot for any help.

Set a local boolean on the NPC in the first dialog when you want to switch over to the second. Then, in the OnDialogue event script of the NPC add a check for that local boolean, and if it's set you run BeginConversation() with the name of the second DLG file as parameter instead. Something like this might work:

// This is run from a node in the first dialog file...
void main() {
SetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 118, TRUE);
}

// This is the OnDialogue event script of the NPC...
void main() {
if (!GetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 97)
&& !GetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 87)
&& GetCommandable()
&& (GetListenPatternNumber() == -1))
{
object oShouter = GetLastSpeaker();
object oAttacker = GetLastHostileActor(oShouter);

if (!GetIsObjectValid(oAttacker)
|| GetIsDead(oAttacker)
|| !GetObjectSeen(oAttacker, oShouter)
|| !GetIsEnemy(oAttacker, oShouter))
{
ClearAllActions();
if (GetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 118))
BeginConversation("MyOtherDialog");
else
BeginConversation();
}

if (GetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 26))
SignalEvent(OBJECT_SELF, EventUserDefined(1004));
}
else {
ExecuteScript("k_ai_master", OBJECT_SELF, 1004);
}
}

I've colored the parts that may need to be modified. The part in yellow is the ResRef of the secondary DLG file. The part in blue is the Local Boolean index used to keep track of the switch.

That said, in most cases you don't really need multiple dialog files, it's much easier to just add all conversation possibilities to the same DLG file and put conditional scripts on them to control when they become available.
 Darth333
08-22-2006, 2:26 PM
As mentioned by DarthInsidious, depending on what you want to do, you may only need one .dlg file to do all this.

You can specify conditions that will determine which dialogue node will be fired next. See stoffe's post here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2120440&postcount=5) and this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154242)

You can have all kind of conditions: items possessed, plot advancement, level, sex, location, etc, etc.
You can see some examples here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=1906451#post1906451)

Check the .nss files to see if there's an existing generic script that already does what you want (very likely in KotOR 2). If so, all you have to do is to type the name of the script in the conditional field (and specify the parameters in K2)
 goldberry
08-22-2006, 2:50 PM
Thanks alot for your help stoffe, but as it happens both you and darth333 are right, I'll just use a single dialog file with conditionals, and save stoffe's post in a notepad file for later :D.

Thanks again.
Page: 1 of 1