Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Episode 2.1: Attack of the Clones Recloned

Page: 1 of 1
 SamR
08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I've recently begun rewriting the AOTC screenplay, both to address issues people have with the film, and to bring the story and character development more in line with that in my completed ROTS rewrite, "Episode 3.2" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=167603).

The first three scenes appear below. More will come in additional posts.

(Note: I've decided to change the handmaiden who dies at the beginning from Cordй to Sabй, because the way Padmй reacts to her death makes more sense, if it's someone who's been with her since she was very young. Though I've heard the official explanation, I think the real reason it isn't Sabй in the film is simply that Lucas couldn't get Kiera Knightly back for a cameo. This, of course, will create time ripples, which will impact one of the scenes I've written in "3.2." The corresponding change will appear there shortly.)

STAR WARS EPISODE 2.1: ATTACK OF THE CLONES RECLONED

An Unofficial Rewrite of the Screenplay by George Lucas & Jonathan Hales

Previously Published and/or Produced Material by George Lucas & Jonathan Hales

New and Replacement Material by Sam Rosenbaum
Based on Characters and Story Settings Created by George Lucas

Partial Draft
July 17, 2006

FADE IN:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

EXT. SPACE

A vast sea of stars serves as the backdrop for the Main Title, followed by a rollup, which crawls into infinity.

There is unrest in the Galactic Senate.
Several thousand solar systems have declared
their intentions to leave the Republic.

The separatist movement, under the leadership
of the mysterious Count Dooku, has made it
difficult for the limited number of Jedi Knights
to maintain peace and order in the galaxy.

Senator Amidala, the former Queen
of Naboo, is returning to the Galactic
Senate to vote on the critical issue of
creating an ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC
to assist the overwhelmed Jedi....

PAN UP to reveal the amber city planet of Coruscant. Two yellow Naboo Fighters fly overhead toward the planet, followed by a large Naboo Cruiser and one more Fighter.

INT. NABOO CRUISER - DAWN

The LIEUTENANT, accompanied by TWO SECURITY OFFICERS, addresses SENATOR AMIDALA. Now in her mid-twenties, she has grown even more beautiful than she was as Queen of Naboo.

LIEUTENANT
Senator, we're making our final approach into Coruscant.

SENATOR AMIDALA
Very good, Lieutenant.

EXT. CORUSCANT - CITYSCAPE - DAWN

The ships skim across the surface of the city landscape. The sun glints off the chrome hulls of the sleek Naboo spacecraft as they navigate between the buildings of the capital planet.

EXT. CORUSCANT, LANDING PLATFORM - DAWN

Two Naboo Fighters land on one leaf of a three-leaf-clover landing platform. The Naboo Cruiser lands on the central leaf, and the third Fighter lands on the remaining platform.

A small group of DIGNITARIES waits to welcome the Senator.

One of the FIGHTER PILOTS jumps from the wing of his ship and removes his helmet. He is CAPTAIN TYPHO, Amidala's Security Officer. He moves over to a WOMAN PILOT.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
We made it. I guess I was wrong. There was no danger at all.

The ramp lowers. TWO NABOO GUARDS appear. Senator Amidala, ONE HANDMAIDEN and FOUR TROOPERS descend the ramp. The dignitaries start to move forward. Amidala reaches the foot of the ramp, when suddenly there is a blinding flash and a huge EXPLOSION. The dignitaries and pilots are hurled to the ground, as the starship is destroyed.

KLAXONS BLARE and ALARMS SOUND. The pilots get up and run to the victims. Beyond, R2-D2 drops down from the Naboo Fighter and rolls toward the wreckage. All who were caught in the explosion are dead, except for Senator Amidala who lies dying. The woman pilot kneels by the Senator and takes off her helmet, revealing herself to be the real PADMЙ AMIDALA. The dying woman is her lookalike bodyguard, SABЙ.

PADMЙ
Sabй . . .

She gathers Sabй up in her arms. Sabй's eyes open and look up at her.

SABЙ
My Lady, you are safe . . . I'm afraid I . . .

Sabй winces.

PADMЙ
Hold on, Sabй. Help is coming.

SABЙ
It has been an honor . . . My Lady . . .

PADMЙ
No, Sabй! Don't give up! You mustn't give up!
(to Captain Typho)
She needs medics, quickly!

CAPTAIN TYPHO
It's too late.

Sabй gasps and dies. Padmй hugs her.

PADMЙ
(softly)
No!

CAPTAIN TYPHO
My Lady, you're still in danger here.

Padmй lowers Sabй to the ground, gets up and looks around at the devastation. There are tears in her eyes.

PADMЙ
How could we have come to this?

CAPTAIN TYPHO
There isn't time for questioning, My Lady. Sabй did her duty. Now, you must do yours and get to safety. Come.

She doesn't respond.

CAPTAIN TYPHO (cont'd)
Senator Amidala, please!

Padmй turns, and Captain Typho leads her away. R2 lets out a small WHIMPER and rolls after them.

EXT. SENATE BUILDING - DAY

High atop the massive Senate Office Building, the coliseum-like Senate Arena stands glistening in the late-morning sun, while small patches of fog have still to burn off.

INT. SENATE CHAMBER - DAY

The vast rotunda is BUZZING with CHATTER. Standing at the central podium, MAS AMEDDA, the Chancellor's majordomo, tries to quiet things down, as SUPREME CHANCELLOR PALPATINE confers with an AIDE, riding a one-man floating scooter.

MAS AMEDDA
Order! We shall have order! The Chancellor has an urgent announcement to make.

Everything quiets down. The aide disperses, and Palpatine steps to the podium.

PALPATINE
My esteemed colleagues, excuse me . . . I have new information concerning this morning's explosion in the city, and the news is disturbing and tragic. Senator Amidala of the Naboo system has been assassinated.

There is a shock silence in the vast arena.

PALPATINE (cont'd)
This grievous blow is especially personal to me. Before becoming Chancellor, I was Senator from Naboo, and Amidala was my Queen. I served and advised her, and watched her grow into the greatest leader our world has ever known. She fought for justice, not only here in this honorable assembly, but also on her home planet. Against my advice, I'm embarrassed to say, she risked her own life to rescue her people from occupation. She was so loved, she could have been elected Queen for life, but she turned that option down. She believed in public service, but her more fervent belief was in democracy. Her death is a great loss to us all. We will all mourn her as a relentless champion of freedom . . . and as a dear friend.

There is a moment of silence. Padmй, dressed in black, is standing in her pod, having been listening without anyone noticing her. She exchanges a knowing look with with her aide, DORMЙ, then steps forward to the console.

PADMЙ
I must be ghost, then!

Senators practically jump off their seats. Palpatine's expression withers for a moment, before he's able to put on his happy face to feign being glad to see Padmй alive.

PADMЙ (cont'd)
I thank the Chancellor for his heartfelt eulogy of me and ask now if he will recognize the recently deceased.

Senators LAUGH.

PALPATINE
Yes, yes, of course. It is with great surprise and joy that the chair recognizes the Senator from Naboo, Padmй Amidala.

There is an outburst of CHEERING and APPLAUSE, as Padmй launches her pod and maneuvers it to the center of the vast arena.

PADMЙ
My noble colleagues, I can joke about myself, but not about what has happened. Less than an hour ago, an assassination attempt was made against my life. One of my bodyguards and six others were ruthlessly and senselessly murdered. I am angry, as many of you are sure to be, but, until we know who is responsible and why, we must not let our anger turn us to rash action.

There are ANGRY SHOUTS from the chamber.

ASK AAK
Will the Senator yield for a question?

Padmй nods, as ASK AAK moves his pod into the center of the arena.

ASK AAK
Isn't it obvious who is responsible? The Separatists! They're trying to intimidate us! How many more innocents will die, before this civil strife ends?! We must confront these rebels now, and we need an army to do it!

There are SHOUTS of support from the chamber.

PADMЙ
How does the Senator from Malastare know this? What would the Separatists have to gain from it? Apart from the petty, personal motives of a few among them, they have nothing to gain and everything to losem, as do we. I have led the opposition to these security measures before you. My death would have assured their passage.

Many Senators are stunned.

ASK AAK
Is the Senator from Naboo suggesting . . .

PADMЙ
I'm suggesting nothing . . . I'm saying that we allow negotiations with the Separatists to continue, while we work with the Jedi, to solve this crime and bring whoever is respsonsible to justice.

Senators start giving vocally mixed reactions.

PADMЙ (cont'd)
(to the chamber)
But I warn you . . . if we, preemtively, vote to create this army, war will follow. I have experienced the misery of war firsthand. I would do it again, if I must, to protect my people, but I do not wish to do it again.

There is sporadic YELLING for and against her statements.

PADMЙ (cont'd)
Wake up, Senators . . . you must wake up! If we offer the Separatists violence, they can show us only violence in return! Many will lose their lives. All will lose their freedom. This decision could destroy the very foundation of our great Republic. I pray you, do not let fear push you into a disastrous decision. Vote down this security measure, which is nothing less than a declaration of war! Does anyone here really want that? I cannot believe that they do.

There is now more YELLING for than against her position. BAIL ORGANA, a large, fortyish man, watches sympathetically from his pod. At the Chancellor's podium, Palpatine is visibly making an effort to hide his displeasure.

EXT. SENATE OFFICE BUILDING - DAY

The giant towers containing the Senate and Executive offices seem to reach the heavens. Traffic clogs the smoggy sky.

INT. CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY

Palpatine sits behind his desk with TWO REPUBLIC GUARDS, clad in red, on either side of the door. YODA, PLO KOON, KI-ADI-MUNDI, and MACE WINDU sit across from him. Behind them stand the Jedi LUMINARA UNDULI and her Padawan, BARRISS OFFEE.

PALPATINE
The Military Creation Act is stopped, for the moment, but it will certainly come up again. I don't know how much longer we can hold it off, my friends. More and more star systems are joining the Separatists.

MACE
If they do break away . . .

PALPATINE
I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two. My negotiations will not fail.

MACE
If they do, you must realize there aren't enough Jedi to protect the Republic. We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.

PALPATINE
Master Yoda, do you think it will really come to war?

Yoda closes his eyes.

YODA
Something worse than war, I fear . . . much worse.

Palpatine and the others are taken aback.

MACE
What is it? What do you sense, Master?

YODA
The Dark Side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of . . .
(opens his eyes)
Do their duty, the Jedi will.

A muted BUZZER SOUNDS. A hologram of an aide, DAR WAC, appears on the Chancellor's desk.

DAR WAC
(in Huttese with subtitle)
The Loyalist Committee has arrived, My Lord.

PALPATINE
Good. We will discuss this matter later. Send them in.

All stand, as Padmй, Bail, and SEVERAL OTHER SENATORS and ATTENDANTS, enter the office. These include Captain Typho, Dormй and JAR JAR BINKS.

As Yoda and Mace move to greet the Senators, Yoda taps Padmй with his gimer stick.

YODA
Padmй, your tragedy on the landing platform, terrible. With you the force is strong, young Senator. Seeing you alive brings warm feeling to my heart.

PADMЙ
(after a pause)
Thank you, Master Yoda. Do you have any idea who was behind the attack?

MACE
Our intelligence points to disgruntled spice miners, on the moons of Naboo.

PADMЙ
(incredulous)
Miners . . . but what motive could they possibly have? I've always been fair to their cause. I've never betrayed them. There's no sense in it. You'll have to do better, Master Jedi.

MACE
(peeved)
My Lady, then perhaps you can tell us who was behind it.

PADMЙ
If I could, I wouldn't have asked. But if you asked if I have any enemies, I would say the person I've met who would most want me dead is the Viceroy. I doubt, however, he would, or could, have planned this attack. Someone would have had to do it for him . . . Count Dooku, perhaps, as some sort of debt to him.

There is a stir of surprise. The Jedi look at one another.

KI-ADI-MUNDI
Count Dooku is a political idealist, not a murderer.

MACE
You know, My Lady, Dooku was once a Jedi. He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character.

PADMЙ
Then, perhaps, it was someone here on Coruscant, who'll stop at nothing to start a war.

This time it's the politicians who look at one another.

PALPATINE
You mean someone here in the Senate? I find that impossible to believe.

PADMЙ
We must examine every possibility, Chancellor.

BAIL
I agree. We can't afford to rule anything out at this early stage . . .
(to Padmй)
even the miners, with all due respect, Senator.

YODA
In dark times, nothing is what it appears to be . . .
(to Padmй)
but the fact remains for certain, Senator, in grave danger you are.

Palpatine gets up, walks to the window, and looks out at the vast city.

PALPATINE
Master Jedi, may I suggest that the Senator be placed under the protection of your graces.

PADMЙ
Excuse me, Chancellor, if I may comment, I don't believe the-

PALPATINE
(interrupting)
situation is that serious?
(turns to her)
Oh, but I do.

BAIL
Do you think that's a wise decision, to impede the Senator's work during these stressful times?

PADMЙ
I concur with Senator Organa. The one thing I don't need or want right now is more guards.

PALPATINE
I realize all too well that additional security might be disruptive for you and your diplomatic efforts, which are admirable, but what if the Jedi were to assign someone you're familiar with . . . an old friend, like . . . Master Kenobi?

Paplatine nods to Mace, who nods back.

MACE
That's possible. He's just returned from a border dispute on Ansion.

PALPATINE
You must remember him, My Lady.

PADMЙ
Yes, and I appreciate the gesture, but this isn't necessary, Chancellor.

PALPATINE
Please, do it for me. I will rest easier. We had such a scare today, and the thought of losing you is unbearable.

Padmй sighs.

YODA
Done, it is.
 SamR
08-20-2006, 1:31 AM
^ Fixed character name conflict. Sorry if it confused anyone.
 SamR
08-20-2006, 1:40 AM
EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING - TWILIGHT

A graceful skyscraper twinkles in the evening light of Coruscant.

INT. APARTMENT BUILDING ELEVATOR - TWILIGHT

ANAKIN SKYWALKER and OBI-WAN KENOBI ride up a windowed elevator attached to the outside of the building. Obi-Wan, now in his thirties and sporting a small beard, stands serenely. Anakin, now a tall young man in his late teens, nervously rearranges his robes.

OBI-WAN
You seem a little on edge, Anakin.

ANAKIN
Not at all.

OBI-WAN
I haven't felt you this tense since we fell into that nest of gundarks.

ANAKIN
You fell into that nightmare, Master, and I rescued you, remember?

OBI-WAN
Oh, yes.

They laugh.

OBI-WAN (cont'd)
You're sweating. Relax. Take a deep breath.

ANAKIN
I haven't seen her in ten years, Master.

OBI-WAN
She's not the Queen anymore, Anakin. She's only a Senator.

ANAKIN
A Galactic Senator . . . and one of the most powerful, I hear . . . more so than the leader of one planet. Anyway, that's not why I'm nervous.

Obi-Wan looks at him strangely.

INT. APARTMENT CORRIDOR - TWILIGHT

The door to the apartment slides open. Jar Jar walks into the corridor, where the two Jedi are exiting the elevator. He recognizes Obi-Wan with a rush of excitement.

JAR JAR
Obi! Obi! Mesa sooo smilen to seein yousa!

OBI-WAN smiles.

OBI-WAN
It's good to see you, too, Jar Jar.

Jar Jar notices Obi-Wan's Padawan.

JAR JAR
And this, Mesa take, is your Padawan . . . Noo . . . Annie? Little bitty Annie?
(takes a better look)
Noo! Yousa so biggen! Yiiy, Annie!

Jar Jar grabs hold of Anakin and envelops him in a big hug.

ANAKIN
Hi, Jar Jar.

JAR JAR
Shesa expecting yousa. Annie . . . Mesa no believen!

INT. PADMЙ'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - EVENING

Padmй is in a conference with Captain Typho and Dormй, all seated on couches. Jar Jar enters the room, followed by the two Jedi.

JAR JAR
Mesa here. Lookie, lookie, Senator. Desa Jedi arriven.

Padmй and Typho rise, as Obi-Wan and Anakin stop before the Senator. Obi-Wan steps forward.

Anakin stares at Padmй. She glances at him.

OBI-WAN
It's a pleasure to see you again, My Lady.

Padmй walks over to Obi-Wan and takes his hand in hers.

PADMЙ
It has been far too long, Master Kenobi. I'm so glad our paths have crossed again . . . though I wish the circumstances were better.

OBI-WAN
I wish so, as well. I'm very sorry for your loss.

PADMЙ
It's all right. You needn't mention it.

She moves in front of Anakin.

PADMЙ
Ani?
(stares)
My goodness, it is you! . . . You've grown.

They look at each other for a long moment.

ANAKIN
(trying to be smooth)
So have you . . . grown more beautiful, I mean . . . and much shorter . . . for a Senator, I mean.

Obi-Wan looks disapprovingly at his Padawan. Padmй laughs and shakes her head.

PADMЙ
Oh, Ani, you're still that little boy I knew on Tatooine.

Anakin looks down, embarrassed. Obi-Wan and Captain Typho smile. Padmй looks straight at Anakin.

PADMЙ (cont'd)
But, perhaps, that can change.

Making eye contact again, Anakin is struck by her penetrating gaze.

OBI-WAN
(to Padmй)
The Council informed us of your concern for your work, My Lady. Our presence will be invisible, I can assure you.

PADMЙ
I'll appreciate your efforts. Please, sit down.

They all move to the couches and sit.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I, for one, am very grateful you're here, Master Kenobi. I'm Captain Typho, head of Her Majesty's security. Queen Jamilla has informed me of your assignment. I believe the situation is more dangerous than the Senator will admit.

PADMЙ
It's more dangerous, as long as we remain in the dark. What I need more than tighter security is answers. Who is trying to kill me and why?

OBI-WAN
(frowns)
We're here to protect you Senator, not to start an investigation.

ANAKIN
We will find out who's trying to kill you Padmй, I promise you.

He's done it again. He bites his lip in frustration and shame. Obi-Wan gives Anakin a dirty look.

OBI-WAN
We will not exceed our mandate, my young Padawan learner!

ANAKIN
I meant in the interest of protecting her, Master, of course.

OBI-WAN
We will not go through this exercise again, Anakin. And you will pay attention to my lead.

ANAKIN
Why?

OBI-WAN
What?!

ANAKIN
Why else do you think we were assigned to protect her, if not to find the killer? Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi. It's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied in our mandate.

OBI-WAN
We will do exactly as the Council has instructed, and you will learn your place, young one.

PADMЙ
If I may interject . . . it isn't only my life that's at stake here. Whether the Republic remains at peace or goes to war could very well depend on the mystery surrounding this threat. My position in the Senate makes me more responsible than most on this issue, so I must be a party to investigating it . . . and I will appreciate any assistance my Jedi protectors can give me.

Anakin is pleased. Obi-Wan isn't. Padmй stands.

PADMЙ (cont'd)
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to rest. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.

Everyone stands and gives Padmй a slight bow, as she and Dormй leave the room.
 Jae Onasi
08-20-2006, 7:21 PM
It'll be interesting to follow the differences between your story and the movie. That's a lot of work. :)
 SamR
08-27-2006, 1:39 PM
OK, there's a place here where I may have crossed the line into parody. But in light of Washington Post critic Stephen Hunter's review of AOTC, where he poked fun at Hayden Christensen's resemblance to a now infamous rock star, I couldn't resist. :D :blush2:

EXT. SKYSCRAPER LEDGE - NIGHT

An armor-clad bounty hunter, JANGO FETT, waits on the ledge of a skyscraper. Another bounty hunter, ZAM WESELL, steps from her hovering speeder and approaches Jango. There is lots of CITY NOISE below.

ZAM
I hit the ship, but they used a decoy.

JANGO
We'll have to try something more subtle. My client is getting impatient.

Jango hands Zam a large cylander.

JANGO (cont'd)
Be very careful with these.

Zam attaches a metal veil across the bottom of her face and turns to leave.

JANGO (cont'd)
And Zam . . .

Zam stops.

JANGO (cont'd)
There can be no mistakes this time.

Zam continues to her speeder.

INT. PADMЙ'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Anakin is standing in the living room, in a meditative state. It is quiet. We hear DISTANT FOOTSTEPS o.s. Anakin's eyes pop open and dart around the room. He reaches for his light saber, then smiles and puts it back in his belt.

The door to the apartment slides open, and Obi-Wan enters.

OBI-WAN
Captain Typho has more than enough people downstairs. No assassin will try that way. Any activity up here?

ANAKIN
Quiet as a tomb. I don't like just waiting here for something to happen to her.

Obi-Wan checks a palm-sized view scanner he has pulled out of his utility belt. It shows a shot of R2-D2 by the door, but no sign of Padmй on the bed.

OBI-WAN
What's going on?

ANAKIN
(shrugs)
She covered the cameras. I don't think she liked me watching her.

OBI-WAN
What is she thinking?

ANAKIN
She programmed Artoo to warn us if there's an intruder.

INT. BEDROOM - SAME TIME

Padmй is asleep in her bed, illiminated only by the lights of the city outside her window. R2-D2 stands in the corner of the bedroom. His power is off.

INT. LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME

OBI-WAN
You're using her as bait??

ANAKIN
It was her idea . . . Don't worry, no harm will come to her. I can sense everything going on in that room. Trust me.

OBI-WAN
It's too risky . . . besides, your senses aren't that attuned.

ANAKIN
And yours are?

OBI-WAN
Possibly.

EXT. SKYSCRAPER LEDGE - NIGHT

Standing underneath a giant holographic sign advertising something in an alien language, Zam loads the cylinder Jango had given her into a PROBE DROID. She sends the Probe Droid out into the NOISY Coruscant night.

INT. PADMЙ'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Anakin and Obi-Wan move out onto the balcony overlooking the city.

OBI-WAN
You look tired . . . like you've been losing sleep.

ANAKIN
It's my mother. I keep dreaming about her. I don't know why. I haven't seen her since I was little.

OBI-WAN
Dreams pass in time.

ANAKIN
I'd rather dream about Padmй. Just being around her again is . . . intoxicating.

OBI-WAN
Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin. They betray you. You've made a commitment to the Jedi Order . . . a commitment not easily broken . . . and don't forget she's a politician. They're not to be trusted.

ANAKIN
She's different.

INT. BEDROOM - SAME TIME

As Padmй sleeps, the Probe Droid approaches outside her window. It sends out several small arms that attach to the window, creating sparks that shut down the security system. A large arm cuts a hole in the glass. A FAINT SOUND is heard, along with a slight increase in CITY NOISE, as the section of glass is removed from the window.

R2-D2 wakes up, and his lights go on. The Probe Droid freezes. R2 looks around, makes a PLAINTIVE LITTLE SOUND, then shuts down again. The Probe Droid attaches the cylander to the window. The cylander opens. TWO CRAB-LIKE, DROID CREATURES drop through the opening and scurry quietly across the floor.

INT. LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME

Anakin and Obi-Wan continue arguing.

ANAKIN
And besides, you're generalizing. The Chancellor doesn't appear to be corrupt.

OBI-WAN
Palpatine's a politician. I've observed that he's very clever at following the passions and prejudices of the Senators.

INT. BEDROOM - SAME TIME

The creatures have climbed onto the foot of Padmй's bed. As they crawl forward, she starts writhing in her sleep, as if having a nightmare. Then she wakes up, to find herself face-to-face with the creatures. They are too close for her to get out of the bed or throw the covers over them. R2's lights come on again, and, with a start, he starts BEEPING frantically.

Not waiting for a rescue, Padmй retrieves a blaster from under her pillow and, point blank, BLOWS one creatute to smithereens. But the other creature jumps onto her chest and clamps itself there. She SCREAMS, drops the gun, and grabs the creature with both hands, trying to force it off her and stop the needle it's extending from penetrating her throat.

There is the SOUND of a light saber IGNITING, and a beam appears, cutting into the creature and surgically frying it, without touching Padmй. Padmй pulls the creature's sparking, burning remains off herself and throws them to the floor, then raises up to see that it was Anakin who saved her. Then they both see Obi-Wan sprint past them and leap at the Probe Droid outside the window, crashing through the glass and grabbing onto the machine before it can flee.

EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING - NIGHT

The Probe Droid sinks under Obi-Wan's weight but manages to stay afloat and fly away, with the Jedi hanging on for dear life, a hundred stories above the city.

INT. BEDROOM - SAME TIME

Anakin deactivates his light saber and turns to Padmй.

ANAKIN
Did it sting you?

PADMЙ
(feels her throat)
I . . . I don't think so.

Anakin is staring at something. Captain Typho, Dormй, and TWO GUARDS burst into the room.

DORMЙ
My Lady, are you all right?!

They stop and stare. Padmй suddenly realizes what everyone is staring at and pulls the covers over a large tear in her nightdress.

PADMЙ
I'm fine!

Anakin glances out the window then back to her.

ANAKIN
Stay here!

He dashes out of the room.
 SamR
08-27-2006, 1:41 PM
I didn't do very much to the chase sequence below, but there's a big change in the nightclub scene after it.

EXT. CORUSCANT CITYSCAPE - NIGHT

The Probe Droid sends several protective ELECTRICAL SHOCKS across its surface, causing Obi-Wan to almost lose his grip. As they dart in and out of the SPEEDER TRAFFIC, Obi-Wan disconnects a wire on the back of the Droid. Its power shuts off. Obi-Wan and the DROID drop like rocks. Obi-Wan realizes the error of his ways and quickly puts the wire back. The Droid's systems light up again, and it TAKES OFF.

EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING - ENTRANCE - NIGHT

Anakin charges out of the building and runs to a line of parked speeders. He vaults into an open one and TAKES OF, GUNNING IT fast toward the lines of SPEEDER TRAFFIC high above.

EXT. CORUSCANT CITYSCAPE - NIGHT

The Droid bumps against a wall, trying to knock the Jedi loose. It moves behind a SPEEDER AFTERBURNER to scorch him. He curls up against the heat. It takes the Jedi wildly between buildings and finally skims across a rooftop, as Obi-Wan is forced to lift his legs, tenaciously hanging onto the Droid. The Droid heads for a dirty, beat-up speeder hidden in an alcove of a building about twenty stories up.

When the the scruffy-looking pilot of the speeder, Zam Wesell, sees the Droid approach with Obi-Wan hanging on, she pulls a long rifle out of the speeder and starts to FIRE at the Jedi. EXPLOSIONS burst all around Obi-Wan.

OBI-WAN
I have a bad feeling about this.

Finally, the Droid suffers a direct hit and BLOWS UP. Obi-Wan falls fifty stories, until a speeder drops down next to him, and he manages to grab onto the back end of the speeder and haul himself toward the cockpit.

Zam runs to her speeder, jumps in, and TAKES OFF.

Obi-Wan struggles to climb into the passenger seat of the open speeder that saved him and sits down next to the driver, Anakin.

ANAKIN
That was wacky! I almost lost you in the traffic.

OBI-WAN
What took you so long?

ANAKIN
Oh, you know, Master, I couldn't find a speeder I really liked, with an open cockpit, and with the right speed capabilities, and then you know I had to get a really gonzo color.

They zoom upward in hot pursuit of Zam, as she FIRES out the open window at them with her laser pistol.

OBI-WAN
If you'd spend as much time working on your skills as you do on your wit, young Padawan, you would rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.

ANAKIN
I thought I already did.

OBI-WAN
Only in your mind . . . Careful! Hey, easy!

As this conversation is going on, Anakin deftly moves in and out of the oncoming TRAFFIC, across lanes, between buildings, and miraculously through a construction site.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
You could sense everything going on in that room, indeed.

ANAKIN
I saved Padmй, didn’t I?

OBI-WAN
You almost didn’t.

ANAKIN
Well, Master, I was distracted . . . You were arguing with me about politics.

OBI-WAN
Oh, so it’s my fault?! . . . Whoa! I said, easy!

They barely miss a commuter train.

ANAKIN
Sorry, I forgot you don't like flying, Master.

OBI-WAN
I don't mind flying . . . but what you're doing is suicide!

ANAKIN
Master, you know I've been flying since before I could walk. I'm very good at this.

OBI-WAN
Just slow down! There! There he goes!

Zam and the Jedi race through a line of cross TRAFFIC made up of giant trucks. The speeders bank sideways, as they slide around right-angle turns between buildings. Zam races into a tram tunnel.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
Wait! Don't go in there!

Anakin ZOOMS into the tunnel after Zam. They see a tram coming at them. They brake, turn around, and race out, barely ahead of the charging commuter transport.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
You know I don't like it when you do that!

ANAKIN
Sorry, Master. Don't worry, this guy's gonna kill himself any minute now!

Zam turns into oncoming TRAFFIC, deliberately trying to throw the Jedi off. Oncoming speeders swerve, trying to avoid Zam and the Jedi. ZAM does a quick, tight loop-over and ends up behind the Jedi. She is now in a much better position to FIRE at them with her laser pistol. To avoid being hit by the LASER BOLTS, Anakin SLAMS on the brakes and moves alongside Zam. She now FIRES point-blank at Obi-Wan. He barely avoids the SHOTS.

OBI-WAN
What are you doing? He's gonna blast me!

ANAKIN

Right, this isn't working.

Anakin slides underneath Zam's speeder. They race along in TRAFFIC, one speeder right on top of the other. The bounty hunter skims over the rooftops, causing Anakin to drop behind. Anakin goes through his gears, ZOOMING around TRAFFIC. They race at high speed across a wide, flat surface of the city planet. A large spacecraft almost collides with them, as it attempts to land.

OBI-WAN
Watch out for those banners!

They swerve and clip one the spacecraft’s flags, which gets caught on one of the front air scoops.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
That was too close!

ANAKIN
Clear that!

OBI-WAN
What?

ANAKIN
Clear the flag! We're losing power!

Obi-Wan leans out of the speeder, then crawls out onto the front engine and pulls the flag free of the scoop. The speeder lurches forward with a SURGE of power, throwing Obi-Wan back into his seat.

OBI-WAN
Whooooaaa! Don't do that! I don't like it when you do that!

ANAKIN
So sorry, Master.

They chase the bounty hunter through a power refinery. Zam SHOOTS a power coupler, causing voltage to jump across a gap from one coupler to another, like LIGHTNING. Anakin stays on course, piloting the speeder directly through the arc. Anakin’s and Obi-Wan’s bodies ripple with blue power.

OBI-WAN
Anakin! How many times have I told you to stay away from the power couplings?! No, don't go through there!

Huge electrical BOLTS shoot between the buildings, as the speeders pass.

ANAKIN
Sorry, Master.

OBI-WAN
(sarcastically)
Oh, that was good . . .

ANAKIN
That was crazy!

Zam slides around a corner sideways, blocking an alley, FIRING point-blank, as Anakin approaches.

ANAKIN
Ahh, damn!

OBI-WAN
Stop!!

ANAKIN
No, we can make it!

Anakin barely misses the bounty hunter’s speeder, as he dives under it, and through a small gap in the building, hitting several pipes and going wildly out of control. Anakin struggles to regain control of the speeder, narrowly missing a crane and barely clipping a pair of giant struts. Zam FIRES at the broken pipes, setting off giant gas EXPLOSION. The SHOCK WAVE overtakes Anakin’s speeder and causes it to spin. Zam TAKES OFF in the other direction.

Out of the cloud of smoke and ball of flames, the Jedi tear after Zam. Smoke rises from their clothes. Obi-Wan slaps out a small fire on the dashboard.

ANAKIN
I got us through that one all right.

OBI-WAN
All right? You call this all right?

ANAKIN
I think we're still alive.

Back in the city proper, Zam goes up and down, through cross TRAFFIC. There is a near miss, as a speeder almost hits them. Zam turns down and left between two buildings. Anakin pulls up and to the right.

OBI-WAN
Where are you going?! He went down there, the other way!

ANAKIN

Master, if we keep this chase going, that creep's gonna end up deep-fried. Personally, I'd very much like to find out who in the hell he is and who he's working for. This is a shortcut . . . I think.

OBI-WAN
What do you mean, you "think"?!

Anakin turns up a side street, ZOOMING up several small passageways, then stops, hovering about fifty stories up.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
Well, you lost him.

ANAKIN
I'm deeply sorry, Master.

Anakin looks around front and back. He spots something. He seems to start counting to himself, as he watches something below approach.

OBI-WAN
It’s just as well. If we had kept chasing him that way-

ANAKIN
(interrupting)
Excuse me, for a moment.

Anakin jumps out of the speeder. Obi-Wan looks down and sees Zam's speeder about five stories below them cruising past.

OBI-WAN
I hate it when he does that.

Anakin miraculously lands on top of the bounty hunter's speeder. The speeder wobbles under the impact. Zam looks up and realizes what has happened.

Zam takes off, and Anakin slides to the back strut and almost slips off, but manages to hang on. Anakin works his way back to Zam, who, caught off guard, briefly changes into her true CLAWDITE form, then back to the human form she has assumed. Anakin sees it. Zam is a changeling.

Zam stops suddenly, and Anakin flies forward to the left front fork. Zam SHOOTS at him with her laser pistol. There is a BLAST near Anakin’s hand, which breaks off a piece of the speeder. Anakin slides to the right fork of the speeder, where Zam can't reach him. He scrambles to the top, holding onto an air scoop.

Obi-Wan has jumped into the driver's seat of his speeder and is deftly gaining on the rogue speeder. The two speeders dive through oncoming TRAFFIC and then through cross TRAFFIC.

Finally, Anakin is able to get hold of his light saber and starts to cut his way through the roof of the speeder. Zam FIRES her laser pistol through the hole Anakin is cutting and knocks the laser sword out of his hand.

Obi-Wan races under the speeder and catches the Jedi weapon in the passenger's seat.

Anakin sticks his hand into the cockpit and, using the Force, pulls the gun out of Zam's hand. She grabs the Jedi’s hand, and they struggle for the weapon. It GOES OFF, BLOWING a hole in the floor of the speeder. The speeder careens wildly out of control. Zam struggles to pull the speeder out of its nosedive.

Obi-Wan gets slowed down by TRAFFIC and loses sight of the bounty hunter's speeder.

Just as the speeder is about to nose dive into the ground, Zam pulls it out, and it SLIDES HARD on the pavement in a shower of SPARKS. Anakin goes flying into the street.

EXT. ENTERTAINMENT STREET - NIGHT

Zam exits the crashed speeder and runs. Anakin picks himself up off the pavement and runs after her down the very crowded street.

It's the seedy underbelly of the city. Broken sidewalks, garish lights reflected in filthy puddles, steam rising. It's pretty crowded with lower class HUMANS and ALIENS, PANHANDLING DROIDS, and occasional upper class SLUMMERS.

Anakin barges into several of them as he chases after the fleeing Zam. He loses the bounty hunter in the crowd, then sees her again. The young Jedi is having a very difficult time getting through the crowd. Ahead, Zam turns in through a door and disappears. A nightclub sign is flashing NOISILY over the door.

Obi-Wan lands the speeder in the nearby street. He gets out and runs through the crowd toward Anakin. Anakin is just about to follow Zam into the nightclub, when OBI-WAN catches up to him.

OBI-WAN
Anakin!

ANAKIN
She went into that club, Master.

OBI-WAN
Patience. Use the Force, Anakin. Think.

ANAKIN
Sorry, Master.

OBI-WAN
He went in there to hide, not run.

ANAKIN
Yes, Master.

Obi-Wan starts to hand Anakin the light saber he lost in the fight.

OBI-WAN
Here. Next time, try not to lose it.

Anakin reaches for the light saber, but Obi-Wan holds it back.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
A Jedi's saber is his most precious possession.

ANAKIN
Yes, Master.

OBI-WAN
He must keep it with him at all times.

ANAKIN
I know, Master.

OBI-WAN
This weapon is your life.

ANAKIN
I've heard this lesson before.

Obi-Wan finally holds out the light saber, and Anakin grabs it.

OBI-WAN
But, you haven't learned anything, Anakin.

Obi-Wan releases hold of the light saber.

ANAKIN
I try, Master.

OBI-WAN
You either learn, or you don’t. There is no try.

INT. NIGHTCLUB - NIGHT

Obi-Wan walks ahead through the club entrance. Anakin follows him. Strange-colored smoke fills the crowded nightclub bar, and ALIEN-SOUNDING ELECTRONIC MUSIC plays.

OBI-WAN
Why do I get the feeling you’re going to be the death of me?

ANAKIN
Don't say that Master . . . You're the closest thing I have to a father . . . I love you, and I don't want to cause you pain.

OBI-WAN
Then why don't you listen to me?

ANAKIN
Maybe it’s because you never listen to me.

Obi-Wan cannot believe what he just heard. He whirls at Anakin, but then notices everyone staring at them. He changes the subject to the matter at hand.

OBI-WAN
Can you see him?

ANAKIN
I think he's a she . . . and I think she's a changeling.

OBI-WAN
In that case be extra careful
(nods to the room)
Go and find her.

Obi-Wan walks away.

ANAKIN
Where are you going, Master?

OBI-WAN
For a drink.

Obi-Wan heads for the bar. Anakin blinks in surprise, then moves into the room. ALIEN FACES look back at him, some with hostility and suspicion, others with invitation, as he moves among the tables.

Obi-Wan arrives at the bar. He signals the BARMAN, who pours a drink for him. As he lifts the glass, a DRUG DEALER swaggers up to him.

DRUG DEALER
Hey, you wanna buy some . . .

The dealer opens one side of his jacket to reveal the strange-colored, cigarette-like merchandise.

DRUG DEALER (cont’d)
death-sticks?

Obi-Wan looks at him. He makes a slight hand movement in front of his chest.

OBI-WAN
You don't want to sell me death-sticks.

DRUG DEALER
I don't want to sell you death-sticks.

OBI-WAN
You want to go home and rethink your life.

DRUG DEALER
I want to go home and rethink my life.

The dealer walks away in a daze. Obi-Wan lifts the drink and tosses it back.

As the dealer passes through the crowd, toward the exit, a BEAUFIFUL-LOOKING WOMAN, wearing Zam’s bounty hunter uniform, takes his hand and leads him toward the restroom.

A MINUTE LATER

Anakin approaches Obi-Wan, still sitting at the bar.

ANAKIN
Master, if you’re meaning to be bait, I don’t think she’s taking it.
(before he can answer)
Could you watch the crowd for a minute? I have to go to the can.

Obi-Wan turns toward the crowd and sighs, as Anakin walks away.

What appears to be the drug dealer comes out of the restroom. Anakin walks right past him, heading for the restroom.

INT. RESTROOM – NIGHT

Before reaching the urinals, Anakin stops, sensing something. He opens one of the stalls, and there is the dead body of the drug dealer, stripped and with the bounty hunter’s uniform laying beside him.

INT. NIGHTCLUB – NIGHT

Anakin tears out of the restroom after the ‘drug dealer’, who’s just exiting the building. Obi-Wan sees it and gets up to run after them.

EXT. ENTERTAINMENT STREET – NIGHT

The ‘drug dealer’ morphs back into Zam, to run faster, though still wearing the dealer’s clothes, as Anakin sprints after her. They zig-zag to avoid running into BYSTANDERS, but hit some anyway. Obi-Wan comes running out of the nightclub.

Anakin is catching up with Zam, but then encounters a closely packed group of PEDESTRIANS. He uses the Force to leap over them and goes careening toward Zam. Zam turns and draws her laser pistol.

OBI-WAN
Anakin!

Still airborne, Anakin draws and IGNITES his light saber. As Zam FIRES, Anakin uses his light saber to deflect the LASER BOLTS and cuts off Zam’s gun-arm, as he lands. Zam SCREAMS and collapses to the ground in pain. Obi-Wan arrives on the scene, as Anakin, his light saber still glowing, gets up from where he landed. A MURMURING crowd gathers around them.

OBI-WAN
(to the crowd)
Move along, people. This is official Jedi business. Move along.

The crowd disperses. Anakin deactivates his light saber.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
(to Anakin)
That was extremely risky.

ANAKIN
It worked, didn’t it?

OBI-WAN
Someday, it might not.

EXT. ALLEY – NIGHT

Obi-Wan and Anakin carry Zam into the alley and lower her to the ground. Obi-Wan attends to her wounded shoulder. She stares up hatefully at Anakin. She winces in pain, then nods.

OBI-WAN
Do you know who it was you were trying to kill?

ZAM
The Senator from Naboo.

OBI-WAN
Who hired you?

ZAM
It was just a job.

ANAKIN
Who hired you? Tell us!

ZAM
I’m dead, if I tell you.

OBI-WAN
This wound's going to need treatment. You’ll die without it.

Zam glares hatefully at Obi-Wan.

ANAKIN
Tell us. Tell us now!

ZAM
All right . . . It was a Bounty Hunter called-

There is a sudden FTZZZ sound. Zam twitches. She blinks in surprise and dies. As Obi-Wan lays her down on the street, she changes to her Clawdite form.

There is a WHOOSH from above. Obi-Wan and Anakin look up to see an armored rocket man (Jango Fett) taking off from a roof high above. He shoots up fast into the sky and disappears. Obi-Wan looks down at Zam. He touches her neck and pulls out a small, wicked-looking dart. There’s a drop of liquid on the end of it.
 SamR
10-05-2006, 9:30 PM
Sorry this was such a long time coming. Here are two updates, back to back.

EXT. JEDI TEMPLE - DAY

The tall spires of the Jedi Temple stand out against the hazy sky.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE - COUNCIL CHAMBER - DAY

Obi-Wan and Anakin stand in the center of the Council Chamber. The members of the Jedi Council are seated in a circle surrounding the two Jedi.

OBI-WAN
Analysis of the poison failed to match anything in the archives. As far as we can tell, its origin is unknown.

MACE
What of the Droid creatures that attacked Senator Amidala?

OBI-WAN
They match a Trade Federation design, but one that’s readily available on the black market. They are too commonly used to be much of a lead.

YODA
Find a way to track down this bounty hunter, you must, Obi-Wan.

MACE
Most importantly, find out who he's working for.

OBI-WAN
Will Senator Amidala still need our protection?

YODA
Handle that, your Padawan will.

MACE
Anakin, escort the Senator back to her home planet of Naboo. She'll be safer there. And don't use registered transport. Travel as refugees.

ANAKIN
As she’s leader of the opposition, it will be very difficult to get Senator Amidala to leave the Capital.

YODA
Until caught this killer is, our judgment she must respect.

MACE WINDU
Anakin, go to the Senate and ask Chancellor Palpatine to speak with her. She may see reason then.

Anakin doesn’t like the sound of that last bit, but doesn’t challenge it.

ANAKIN
Yes, Master Windu.

The two Jedi exit the Council Chamber.

INT. SENATE BUILDING - CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY

Anakin stands with Palpatine at the window, looking out over the vast city.

PALPATINE
I will talk to her. Senator Amidala will not refuse an executive order. I know her well enough to assure you of that.

ANAKIN
Thank you, your Excellency.

PALPATINE
And so, my young Padawan, they have finally given you an assignment. Your patience has paid off.

ANAKIN
Your guidance more that my patience.

PALPATINE
You don't need guidance, Anakin. In time, you will learn to trust your feelings. Then you will be invincible. I have said it many times, you are the most gifted Jedi I have ever met.

They turn away from the window and walk towards the door.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
I shall follow your career with great interest. I see you becoming the greatest of all the Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful than Master Yoda.

This pleases Anakin to no end, though he tries his best to hide it. He bows.

ANAKIN
You are most kind, your Excellency.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE - ATRIUM - DAY

Mace and Obi-Wan walk along the Temple corridors. Yoda accompanies them, riding in a small floating chair.

OBI-WAN
I’m concerned for my Padawan. He is not ready to be given this assignment on his own yet.

YODA
Confident, the Council is, in this decision, Obi-Wan.

MACE
The boy has exceptional skills.

OBI-WAN
But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him . . . well, arrogant.

YODA
Yes, yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi, it is. Too sure of themselves, they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.

MACE WINDU
Remember, Obi-Wan. If the prophecy is true, your apprentice is the only one who can bring the Force back into balance.

OBI-WAN
Only if he follows the right path.

INT. APARTMENT BUILDING - PADMЙ'S APARTMENT – DAY

Anakin looks as Padmй and Jar JAR talk, standing near the door of the anteroom to Padmй’s bedroom. Dormй moves about packing luggage.

PADMЙ
Against my better judgment, I’m taking an extended leave of absence. It will be your responsibility to take my place in the Senate. Representative Binks, can I count on you?

JAR JAR
Mesa honored to be taken on dissa heavy burden. Senator can count on humble mesa to keep dis Republic in good hands for her.

PADMЙ
I’ll be checking in from time to time, on secure channels, to help reduce the burden for you. They can take the Senator away from the Capital, but they can’t take the Capital away from her.
(aside, to Anakin)
How is that for seeing reason?

ANAKIN
Shrewd, My Lady.

PADMЙ
Jar Jar, please have a full report ready for me, when I make contact.

JAR JAR
Of course, M'Lady.

Jar Jar bows and goes out. Padmй walks briskly to Anakin.

PADMЙ
I haven't worked for a year to defeat the Military Creation Act not to be here when its fate is decided!

ANAKIN
Sometimes, we have to let go of our pride and do what is requested of us.

PADMЙ
Pride?! Do you really think that’s what this is about?! Ani, look around you. Look at what’s happening. Civil war is threatening, and I’m doing everything I can to avert it. This isn’t about pride!

ANAKIN
Sorry, My Lady. I was only trying to . . .

PADMЙ
It’s all right, Ani.

ANAKIN
Please don't call me that.

PADMЙ
What?

ANAKIN
Ani.

PADMЙ
I've always called you Ani. That’s your name, isn't it?

ANAKIN
It's Anakin. When you say Ani, it's like I'm still a little boy . . . and I'm not.

PADMЙ
I'm sorry . . . Anakin. I spoke too soon, when I said you were still that little boy. It's impossible to deny that you've changed . . .
(looks him over)
that you've grown up.

She smiles at him. He becomes a little shy. Dormй has stopped packing and is watching them.

PADMЙ
(to Dormй)
I’ll take over from here.

DORMЙ
My Lady.

She bows and goes out. Padmй moves to pack some of her own things.

ANAKIN
My Master, Obi-Wan, manages not to see it.

PADMЙ
Mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It's how we grow.

ANAKIN
Don't get me wrong. Obi-Wan is a great mentor, as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu. I’m truly thankful to be his apprentice. Only . . . although I'm a Padawan learner, in some ways . . . a lot of ways . . . I'm ahead of him. I'm ready for the trials. I know I am! He knows it too. But he feels I'm too unpredictable . . . that I'm arrogant.

PADMЙ
(thoughtfully)
The same has been said of me. Sometimes, it takes a little arrogance to move something forward . . . or to stop something . . . but it also takes time. Don't expect results overnight.

ANAKIN
I don't. But other Jedi, my age, have gone through the trials and made it. I know I started my training late, but I've more than made up for that. For reasons that escape me, he won't let me move on!

PADMЙ
He will. Be patient.

They look into each other's eyes for the first time.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
And don't try to grow up too fast.

ANAKIN
I am grown up. You said it yourself.

He looks deep into her eyes.

PADMЙ
Please don't look at me like that.

ANAKIN
Why not?

PADMЙ
Because I can see what you're thinking.

ANAKIN
(laughs)
Ahh . . . So, you have Jedi powers too?

PADMЙ
(laughs)
A few seem to think so.

EXT. CORUSCANT - SPACEPORT FREIGHTER DOCKS – TRANSPORT BUS - DAY

A small bus speeds toward the massive freighter docks of Coruscant's industrial area. The spaceport is bustling with activity. Transports of various sizes move supplies and PASSENGERS, as giant floating cranes lift cargo out of the starships. The bus stops before a huge, intergalactic freighter starship. It parks in the shadows of an overhang.

INT. TRANSPORT BUS - DAY

Anakin and Padmй, dressed in Outland peasant outfits, get up and head for the door, where Captain Typho, Dormй and Obi-Wan are waiting to hand them their luggage.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
Be safe, My Lady.

PADMЙ
Thank you, Captain. Take good care of Dormй . . . The threat's on you two now.

DORMЙ
He'll be safe with me.

They laugh, and Padmй embraces her faithful handmaiden.

OBI-WAN
I will get to the bottom of this plot quickly, My Lady. You'll be back here in no time.

PADMЙ
I will be most grateful for your speed, Master Jedi . . .

She pulls a sophisticated-looking comlink from her cloak.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
I’ll be in contact.

Obi-Wan looks like he’s just been caught in a snare. He turns to Anakin, as Padmй replaces the comlink in her cloak.

OBI-WAN
Remember, Anakin. Barring an emergency, take no action without first consulting me or the Council.

ANAKIN
Yes, Master.

OBI-WAN
May the Force be with you.

ANAKIN
May the Force be with you, Master.

EXT. TRANSPORT BUS – CONTINUOUS

Picking up their luggage, the two peasants (Anakin and Padmй) exit to the platform, where R2-D2 is waiting for them. They head off toward the giant Starfreighter.

PADMЙ
Suddenly, I'm afraid . . .

ANAKIN
I am too. This is my first assignment on my own.
(looking at Artoo)
But don't worry. We've got Artoo with us.

They laugh.

INT. TRANSPORT BUS – CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan and Captain Typho watch Anakin and Padmй disappear into the vastness of the spaceport, with R2 trundling along behind them.

OBI-WAN
I hope he doesn't try anything foolish.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I'd be more concerned about her doing something, than him.

EXT. FREIGHTER DOCKS - CORUSCANT - DAY

The freighter slowly TAKES OFF from the huge docks area of Coruscant. It soon moves into the crowded skies.
 SamR
10-05-2006, 9:32 PM
In this one, I've made some pretty big changes. But don't worry about the scene that I cut out, of Anakin and Padme hiking across the palace courtyard. I'll be addressing the things they talk about there in later scenes.

EXT. DOWNTOWN, BACK STREET - DAY

Obi-Wan walks down the street. It is a pretty tough part of town. Old buildings, warehouses, beat-up speeders and transporter rigs THUNDERING past. Above, is the old elevated monospeed with occasional "shiny freighters" HISSING through. Obi-Wan places his brown Jedi hood over his head, before walking into a rather foreboding-looking store.

INT. STORE – CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan walks past shelves stocked with various instruments of death, as he approaches the tough-looking WEAPONS DEALER at the counter.

WEAPONS DEALER
So, what brings a Jedi into my establishment? Certainly not for any of the merchandise here. It would be . . . as you say . . . uncivilized.

OBI-WAN
Quite true.

He takes from his pockets and holds up a small vial of liquid and the dart from which it came.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
I’m here out of a need to speak to expert on poisons. I can think of no one on Coruscant more knowledgeable than you.

The dealer grins.

EXT. SPACE - STARSHIP FREIGHTER

The massive, slow-moving Freighter moves through space.

INT. STARFREIGHTER - STEERAGE HOLD

The great, gloomy hold is crowded with EMIGRANTS and their belongings. To one side R2-D2 is coming to the head of a food line holding two bowls. With one of his little claw arms, he grabs a chunk of something that looks like bread. He slips a tube into a tub of mush and sucks up a large quantity. A SERVER sees him.

SERVER
Hey! No Droids!

R2 takes one last big SUCK and heads away from the food line. The server shouts after him angrily. The little Droid moves past groups of eating or sleeping emigramts and comes to Anakin’s and Padmй's table, where Anakin sleeps restlessly. The young Jedi seems to be having a nightmare.

ANAKIN
No, no, Mom, no . . .

He is sweating. Padmй leans over, resting her hand on his arm. He wakes up with a start, then realizes where he is. Padmй simply looks at him. He stares back, somewhat confused.

ANAKIN
What?

PADMЙ
You were having a nightmare.

Anakin looks at her a little more closely, trying to see if he has revealed any of his secrets. She hands him a bowl of mush and bread.

PADMЙ
Are you hungry?

ANAKIN
Yeah.

Padmй takes the food from R2 and sets it on a make-shift table. Anakin rises and takes a seat, as she places a bowl in front of him.

ANAKIN
Thanks.

PADMЙ
We went to light speed a while ago.

Anakin looks into her eyes.

ANAKIN
I look forward to seeing Naboo again. I've thought about it every day since I left. It's by far the most beautiful place I've ever seen . . .

Padmй matches his intense stare with one of her own.

PADMЙ
It may not be as you remember it. Time changes perception.

ANAKIN
Sometimes it does . . . Sometimes for the better.

PADMЙ
It must be difficult having sworn your life to the Jedi . . . not being able to visit the places you like . . . or do the things you like . . .

ANAKIN
Or be with the people I love.

PADMЙ
Are you allowed to love? I thought it was forbidden for a Jedi.

ANAKIN
Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life, so you might say we're encouraged to love.

PADMЙ
You have changed very much.

ANAKIN
You haven't changed a bit. You're exactly the way I remember you in my dreams. I doubt if Naboo has changed much either.

PADMЙ
It hasn't . . . unfortunately, in a way.

There is an awkward moment. She changes the subject.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
You were dreaming about your mother earlier, weren't you?

ANAKIN
Yes . . . I left Tatooine so long ago, my memory of her is fading. I don't want to lose it. Recently I've been seeing her in my dreams . . . vivid dreams . . . scary dreams. I worry about her.

Padmй gives him a sympathetic look.

INT. CORUSCANT – JEDI TEMPLE - ARCHIVES - DAY

A bronze bust of Count Dooku stands among a line of other busts of Jedi in the Archive Room. Obi-Wan stands in front of it, studying the striking features of the chiseled face. On the walls, lighted computer panels seem to stretch into infinity. Farther along the room in the background, FIVE JEDI are seated at tables, studying archive material.

Obi-Wan studies the bust for a few moments, before MADAME JOCASTA NU, the Jedi Archivist, is standing next to him. She is an elderly, frail-looking human Jedi. Tough as old boots and smart as a whip.

JOCASTA NU
He has a powerful face, does he not? He was one of the most brilliant Jedi I have had the privilege of knowing.

OBI-WAN
I never understood why he quit. Only twenty Jedi have ever left the Order.

JOCASTA NU
(sighs)
The Lost Twenty . . . Count Dooku was the most recent and the most painful. No one likes to talk about it. His leaving was a great loss to us all.

OBI-WAN
What happened?

JOCASTA NU
Well, Master Dooku was always a bit out of step with the decisions of the Council . . . much like your old Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

OBI-WAN
(surprised)
Really?

JOCASTA NU
Oh, yes. They were alike in many ways. Very individual thinkers . . . idealists . . .
(gazes at the bust)
He was always striving to become a more powerful Jedi. He wanted to be the best. With a lightsaber, in the old style of fencing, he had no match. His knowledge of the Force was . . . unique. In the end, I think he left, because he lost faith in the Republic. He believed politics was corrupt.

OBI-WAN
So do many of us.

JOCASTA NU
Yet, Dooku believed it so much, he felt the Jedi betrayed themselves by serving the politicians. He disappeared for nine or ten years, then just showed up recently as the head of the separatist movement.

OBI-WAN
That’s very interesting. I'm not sure I completely understand.

JOCASTA NU
Well, I'm sure you didn't call me over here for a history lesson. Are you having a problem finding something, Master Kenobi?

OBI-WAN
As a matter of fact, yes.

He hands her a data pad.

EXT. NABOO SPACEPORT - DAY

The Starfreighter lands in the giant port city of Theed.

Anakin, Padmй and R2-D2 are among the emigrants streaming from the Starfreighter and into the vast docking area. They exit onto the main plaza and walk toward a waiting speeder bus.

EXT. NABOO – PALACE GATE – MINUTES LATER

The speeder bus pulls up and stops. Still in their bedraggled-looking disguises, Anakin, Padmй and R2-D2 emerge, carrying their gear, and approach a GUARD. The Guard’s hand moves over the weapon in his holster.

GUARD
State your business here.

Cautiously, Padmй produces a data card from her cloak and hands it to him. He reads it with surprise.

PADMЙ
We’re expected.

GUARD
Oh, I’m sorry, My Lady. Come in at once. It’s just we can’t be too careful, with all the lowlifes coming here these days.

As Padmй passes through the gate, with Anakin and R2, she stops and turns.

PADMЙ
Lowlifes . . . is that what we’re calling displaced people now?

INT. CORUSCANT – JEDI TEMPLE – ARCHIVES – DAY

Obi-Wan is seated at one of the terminals, as Jocasta Nu leans over him, looking at a document list in the holographic screen.

OBI-WAN
None of these entries seem to have any relevance. Perhaps the archives are
incomplete.

JOCASTA NU
The archives are comprehensive and totally secure, my young Jedi. One thing you may be absolutely sure of . . . if an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist!

Obi-Wan stares at her. Jocasta Nu notices a young BOY approach and turns to leave with the youngster. Obi-Wan turns back to the display and searches records, looking despondent. Then his comlink BEEPS. He pulls it out of his pocket and activates it.

OBI-WAN
(to comlink)
Kenobi here.

A small hologram of Padmй appears seated over the comlink on his palm. She is no longer in disguise.

PADMЙ (holo)
Master Kenobi.

OBI-WAN
Senator, is something the matter?

PADMЙ (holo)
There’s no emergency. I’m just making sure this channel is working. We’re safely at our destination.

OBI-WAN
The Council will be glad to hear that.

PADMЙ (holo)
Are you someplace where you can talk freely?

OBI-WAN
(looks around)
If I keep it down.

Next, comes the question he’s been dreading.

PADMЙ (holo)
Have you any new information on the assassin?

OBI-WAN
(sighs)
Yes and no. To tell you the truth, Senator, I’m in a quandary.

INT. NABOO PALACE – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan appears as a hologram seated over the comlink on Padmй’s hand. From what we can see of the b.g., she appears to be in one of the main rooms.

OBI-WAN (holo)
The poison both in the machines that attacked you and that killed your assassin comes from a kouhun, an animal thought to be long extinct. And there seems to be no record of any planet or system where it could have re-appeared.

PADMЙ
Or been cloned?

OBI-WAN
Yes.

PADMЙ
That would be Kamino.

INT. CORUSCANT – JEDI TEMPLE – ARCHIVES – SAME TIME

OBI-WAN
Excuse me?

PADMЙ (holo)
The planet Kamino . . . You don’t know of it?

OBI-WAN
No.

He enters the name into the terminal. The display responds with gibberish.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
And there’s nothing by that name in the archives.

PADMЙ (holo)
I wonder, sometimes, on what planet the Jedi have been living.

Obi-Wan starts to respond, but thinks better of it.

PADMЙ (holo) (cont’d)
It’s somewhere near the Rishi Maze. Look there.

Obi-Wan pulls up a star chart showing a region beyond the Outer Rim.

OBI-WAN
There’s the Rishi Maze . . . but no systems with habitable planets.

PADMЙ (holo)
It’s there. Trust me.

ANAKIN’S VOICE
(from comlink)
Do a gravitational scan, Master.

Obi-Wan punches keys on his terminal. Lines appear in the display, showing warped space.

OBI-WAN
There are some anomalies here . . . but no system . . . It may have been destroyed, but that would be on record . . . I assume, Senator, you’re going to tell me how you know of this place.

PADMЙ (holo)
Kamino was, for a long time, the prime supplier of cloning technology to the Republic.

PADMЙ
Medical procedures, mostly . . . and exotic animals. But all that changed about five years ago.

OBI-WAN (holo)
Go on.

PADMЙ
Or, really, ten years ago, when you and Master Qui-Gon took me to Tattoine.

She gets up and starts pacing.

It was on Tattoine where we all saw first-hand, how slavery, though it has been outlawed in the Republic for centuries, is still being practiced in parts of our galaxy . . . including systems that are our trading partners. I decided, then, to do something about it, at the first opportunity.

This peaks Anakin’s interest. He stands and moves closer to Padmй. He, too, is no longer in disguise.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
As a freshman Senator, I sponsored, with Bail Organa, a measure which placed economic sanctions on any planet or system that continued to use slaves.
(like a proud parent)
We called it “Ani’s Law.”

OBI-WAN
Yes, I do remember that.
(cynically)
How thoughtful.

PADMЙ (holo)
It passed over the objections of the Trade Federation and the Commerce Guilds, whose influence had not yet recovered from the incident here.

OBI-WAN
And who are now joining the Separatists.

PADMЙ (holo)
(suddenly distressed)
Master Kenobi, are you suggesting that-

OBI-WAN
(interrupting)
No, I’m not.

ANAKIN’S VOICE
(loud, from comlink)
Even if it were true, you did the right thing, Padmй. If that’s why they’re joining the Separatists, to do business with the likes of those who enslaved my mother and me, then good riddance to them!

A YOUNG WOMAN’S VOICE
(distant, from comlink)
You have quite an outspoken Padawan, Jedi Master Kenobi.

With a shock, Obi-Wan recognizes the voice, its accent being that of a young person from Naboo’s Eastern Sub-Continent. He briefly presses the mute on his comlink.

OBI-WAN
(low, to himself)
Wonderful.

Anakin turns and bows to QUEEN JAMILLA, who is seated on her throne. Her chief adviser, SIO BIBBLE, is seated nearby.

ANAKIN
I apologize, Your Majesty, for speaking out of turn.

QUEEN JAMILLA
Think nothing of it, Padawan Skywalker. We recognize how personal this must be for you. We like to believe we are living in an elegant and civilized time, but, as long as slavery is in our midst, it is neither. We’re encouraged that the new law freed people on hundreds of worlds, yet saddened to hear that your home planet was not among them.

ANAKIN
Thank you, Your Majesty.

PADMЙ
(lightly, to comlink)
Sorry, Master Kenobi. I didn’t tell you I was meeting with the Queen.

OBI-WAN (holo)
Nor should you have. Even on this frequency, be wary of revealing your whereabouts . . . All this has something to do with Kamino, I take it?

PADMЙ
The Senate learned, through Alderaan Intelligence, that Kamino had gone into the business of cloning people, to be sold as slaves. When we told the Kaminans to stop, they told us that the law didn’t apply to them, since they were neither members of the Republic nor were, themselves, employing slave labor. So, we cancelled all of their contracts, saying those didn’t apply to them either. We never heard from them again. They just . . . vanished. Do you think someone on Kamino is behind the plot to kill me?

Jocasta Nu has returned to just within earshot of Obi-Wan’s conversation.

OBI-WAN
(to comlink)
If not, they’ve had contact with whoever is behind it. I won’t know, until I reach there . . . if I can find wherever there is.

PADMЙ (holo)
Good hunting, then. Amidala out.

Her hologram presses something on its comlink and disappears.

Deactivating her comlink, Padmй sits down on the couch. Anakin follows suit.

SIO BIBBLE
I still believe it’s Nute Gunray. It's unthinkable that, after all the hearings, and four trials in the Supreme Court, he’s still the Viceroy of the Trade Federation. And now, he’s blithely aiding the Separatists. I fear the Senate is powerless to resolve this crisis.

QUEEN JAMILLA
Senator Amidala, do you see any way, through negotiations, to bring the Separatists back into the Republic?

PADMЙ
Not if they feel threatened. The Separatists don't have an army, but if they’re provoked, they will move to defend themselves. I'm sure of that. And with no time or money to build an army, they’ll have no choice but to accept what the Viceroy and the Guilds are offering them.

QUEEN JAMILLA
The armies of commerce! Why has nothing been done in the Senate to restrain them?

PADMЙ
For the same reason Gunray is still the Viceroy. Despite our early victories, and our best efforts, there are still many bureaucrats, judges . . . even Senators on the payrolls of the Guilds. The courts were able to reduce the Federation's Droid armies, but it’s rumored they weren’t reduced as ordered.

QUEEN JAMILLA
We must keep our faith in the Republic. The day we stop believing democracy can work is the day we lose it.

PADMЙ
Let’s work to ensure that day never comes.
 SamR
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
INT. JEDI TEMPLE - MAIN HALLWAY - DAY

Obi-Wan walks through the main hallway to the training area.

INT. TRAINING VERANDA – CONTINUOUS

He comes out onto the veranda and stops, watching TWENTY or so FOUR-YEAR-OLDS doing training exercises, supervised by Yoda. They wear helmets over their eyes and try to strike little TRAINING DROIDS with their miniature light sabers. The Droids dance in front of them.

YODA
Don't think . . . feel . . . be as one with the Force. Help you, it will.
(sees Obi-Wan)
Younglings, enough! A visitor we have. Welcome him.

The children turn off their light sabers.

YODA
Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, meet the mighty Bear Clan.

CHILDREN
Welcome, Master Obi-Wan!

OBI-WAN
I’m sorry to disturb you, Master.

YODA
What help to you, can I be?

OBI-WAN
I'm looking for a planet described to me by an authoritative source, but the system doesn't show up on the archive maps.

YODA
Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing . . . how embarrassing. Liam, the shades. An interesting puzzle. Gather, Younglings, around the map reader. Clear your minds and find Obi-Wan's wayward planet, we will.

The reader is a small shaft with a hollow opening at the top. The children gather around it. Obi-Wan takes out a little glass ball and places it into the bowl. The window shades close. The reader lights up and projects the star map hologram into the room. The children laugh. Some of them reach up to try and touch the nebulae and stars. Obi-Wan walks into the display.

OBI-WAN
This is where it ought to be . . . but it isn't. Gravity is pulling all the stars in this area inward to this spot. There should be a star here . . . but there isn't.

YODA
Most interesting. Gravity's silhouette remains, but the star and all its planets have disappeared. How can this be? Now, Younglings, in your mind, what is the first thing you see? An answer? A thought? Anyone?

There is a brief pause. Then a child puts his hand up. YODA nods.

FIRST YOUNGLING
Master? Because someone erased it from the archive memory.

YOUNGLINGS
(overlapping)
That's right! / Yes! / That's what happened! / Someone erased it!

YODA
How do you know erased, it was? Blown up, the star could have.

A second child raises her hand.

SECOND YOUNGLING
If it blew up, we’d see the cloud.

OBI-WAN
Unless it became a black hole and consumed the cloud.

The children look at one another. Then, a third child raises his hand.

THIRD YOUNGLING
But then, we’d see rays from its gravity crushing things.

Obi-Wan stares. Yoda chuckles.

YODA
Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is. The Padawans are right. Go to the center of the gravity's pull, and find your planet you will. Yoda and Obi-Wan move away from the children. With a hand movement, Obi-Wan causes the star map to disappear. He uses the Force to call the glass ball back to his hand, as the two walk into an adjoining room.

OBI-WAN
But, Master Yoda, who could have erased information from the archives? That's not possible, is it?

YODA
(frowns)
Dangerous and disturbing, this puzzle is. Only a Jedi could have erased those files. But who and why, harder to answer. Meditate on this, I will. May the Force be with you, Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan leaves the room, as Yoda walks back toward the children.
 CSI
10-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Mmmm...Interesting scripts. I wonder why no people reply this. All I can say is it's a good one. Keep up.
 SamR
10-15-2006, 9:59 PM
^ Thanks. :)

Now for a darker take on the Naberrie family scenes. Believe it or not, someone on another website actually said, about Padme in my ROTS rewrite (posted in this forum as "Episode 3.2"), what her mother says to her toward the end of this sequence.

EXT. NABOO - THEED RESIDENTIAL AREA - AFTERNOON

Padmй, dressed informally for a change, walks with Anakin and R2-D2 along a traditional-looking street, where numerous PEOPLE are out and about. OLD MEN are sunning themselves. WOMEN are gossiping. KIDS are playing. The three turn onto a little side street. Anakin notices that Padmй is looking worried about something, but her expression brightens upon seeing one of several old houses. She stops in front of it, beaming.

PADMЙ
There it is!

She starts forward. Anakin hangs back.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
What? Don't say you're shy!

ANAKIN
(untruthfully)
No, but I . . .

Suddenly, there are shouts from two little girls, RYOO (age 6) and POOJA (age 4). They come running toward Padmй.

PADMЙ
Ryoo! Pooja!

She scoops them up and hugs them.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Go wake up Artoo.

RYOO & POOJA
Artoo!!

As they reach the Droid, they hug him. R2 WHISTLES and BEEPS.

INT. NABERRIE HOUSE - MAIN ROOM - AFTERNOON

As Padmй enters the house with Anakin, her mother, JOBAL NABERRIE, rushes in from the kitchen, followed by her beautiful older sister, SOLA. Her father, RUWEE NABERRIE, comes in from another room.

JOBAL
Padmй!

They embrace.

JOBAL (cont’d)
(tearfully)
Thank the Maker you’re safe! When they reported you had been killed, our hearts sank!

PADMЙ
I’m okay, Mom.

Anakin looks on with a longing, as Sola and Ruwee join Jobal, and Padmй hugs each of them.

RUWEE
It’s good that you’re home, Padmй.

SOLA
(notices Anakin)
And she’s brought company!

PADMЙ
Sola, Mom, Dad . . . Anakin Skywalker.

SOLA
Anakin, well, this is exciting! Do you know you're the first boyfriend my sister's ever brought home?

ANAKIN
(embarrassed)
Well, I’m not exactly . . .

PADMЙ
(lightly)
He’s not my boyfriend, Sola. He's the Jedi who’s been assigned to protect me.

RUWEE
And not just any Jedi, I take it. It was a young boy named Skywalker who flew on board the Trade Federation command ship and blew it up, saving our world.

ANAKIN
Yes, Sir, that was me.

Ruwee approaches Anakin and shakes his hand.

RUWEE
It is I who should be calling you Sir. It’s an honor to finally meet the hero from Tatooine.

Anakin doesn’t know what to say. Padmй smiles.

INT. MAIN ROOM – EVENING

Anakin and Padmй are eating dinner with the family, including Ryoo and Pooja who sit next to their mother, Sola.

SOLA
(to Padmй)
We heard about Sabй. I’m so sorry. We saw her as a member of our family, just as you did.

PADMЙ
Her funeral is tomorrow. If you could attend for me, that would be wonderful, since I’ve been advised not to. It would be too easy and open a target for an attack, if I’m there.

SOLA
Of course. We’ll do anything.

JOBAL
An attack, here on Naboo. Oh, Padmй! They didn't tell us it was that serious!

PADMЙ
It’s not, Mom. It’s just a precaution.

JOBAL
But it means you’re still in danger!

PADMЙ
Not very much.

RUWEE
(to Jobal)
Dear, I’m sure Padmй will be all right, as long as the Jedi are with her, and she takes the proper precautions.

JOBAL
Anakin, you’re a Jedi, known for truthfulness. Tell us. How much danger is our daughter in?

ANAKIN
Much danger . . . I’m sorry to say, M’am.

Padmй throws Anakin a dirty look. Then, her comlink BEEPS. She pulls it from her pocket and looks at the readout.

PADMЙ
Excuse me. I have to take this.

She stands and walks to the other room. Her family look on with concern.

SOLA
Will she ever settle down?

Anakin looks like he’s beginning to get the picture of this family.

A FEW MINUTES LATER

Padmй returns and sits down.

PADMЙ
It was just Jar Jar. He needed some instruction.

Anakin grins knowingly.

JOBAL
Padmй, honey, haven’t you had enough of that life? I certainly have.

PADMЙ
Mom, this isn’t the time.
(glances at Anakin)
We have a guest.

JOBAL
So, when will be the right time? We hardly ever see you, except on the Holonet.

RUWEE
(to Jobal)
Dear . . .
(to Padmй)
Padmй, please understand that it’s just your mother and sister worry about you, when you’re on Coruscant. That world can be such a cesspool.

PADMЙ
Not you too, Dad. Coruscant can be many things. There’s much good that it can do.
(turns to Anakin)
Anakin, tell them.

ANAKIN
(nervously)
Uh . . .

All eyes are on him, especially Padmй’s.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
(to the others)
Certainly, there’s corruption on Coruscant. But you needn’t fear that it will affect Padmй. She’s not like the others in the Senate. There’s something . . . unique that she brings there. They need her.

Padmй is pleased. Her mother isn’t.

SOLA
Perhaps that’s why she’s been popular with the wrong sort of people lately.

PADMЙ
(smiles)
Yes, perhaps.

INT. MAIN ROOM – EVENING

Padmй is helping her mother and Sola clear the table.

SOLA
(to Padmй)
Why haven't you told us about him?

PADMЙ
What's there to tell that you don’t already know?

SOLA
Have you seen the way he looks at you?

PADMЙ
Yes, I have. Your point being?

SOLA
It's obvious he has feelings for you. Are you saying, little baby sister, that you haven't noticed?

PADMЙ
I'm not a baby anymore, Sola. I’d have thought, by now, you’d know that. Anakin and I are friends. He knows, as well as I, we can’t be anything more.

SOLA
(laughs)
Well, maybe you haven't noticed him looking at you as something way more than a friend.

PADMЙ
Cut it out.

JOBAL
Sola's just concerned about you. We all are. We’re wishing you’d give up this perilous profession of yours.

PADMЙ
Mom, you're impossible. What I'm doing is important. It’s what I believe in doing.

JOBAL
You've done your service, Padmй. It's time you had a life of your own. You're missing so much!

PADMЙ
You wouldn’t be saying that to a son.

They move into the kitchen.

EXT. GARDEN – SAME TIME

Anakin and Ruwee are walking. The two little girls play nearby.

RUWEE
Sometimes I wish I'd traveled more . . . but I must say, I'm happy here.

ANAKIN
Padmй tells me you teach at the university?

RUWEE
(nods)
Yes, and before that, I was a builder. I also worked for the refugee relief movement, when I was very young. Padmй volunteered, in her youth, as well.

INT. KITCHEN – SAME TIME

The argument is getting heated.

JOBAL
(pacing)
You don’t think of us, or the children you’ll have someday.

PADMЙ
I am thinking of-

JOBAL
(interrupting)
I can’t believe you’d be so selfish!

PADMЙ
(incredulous)
What, Mom?! . . . You and I have quite different definitions of what “selfish” is.

EXT. GARDEN – SAME TIME

Anakin and Ruwee continue walking.

ANAKIN
My Master is on his way to the planet where we’ve traced the assassin’s poison. I’m sure he’ll find out who’s trying to kill your daughter. This situation won't last long.

RUWEE
I don't want anything to happen to her.

Anakin senses something behind him. He turns and starts walking toward the house. As he gets closer, RAISED VOICES are heard, then a LOUD CRASH. He starts running and dashes into the house.

INT. MAIN ROOM – CONTINUOUS

Anakin rushes through the main room to the kitchen.

INT. KITCHEN – CONTINUOUS

Anakin comes upon a scene of Padmй picking up dishes, and pieces of dishes, from the floor and placing them on the counter. R2-D2 helps as best he can, using his robotic arm. Jobal and Sola stand, huddled together, looking shocked.

PADMЙ
Mom, I’m sorry . . . about the dishes . . . I should go now.
(turns to leave)
Come on, Anakin . . . Artoo.

Anakin looks between Padmй and her family then follows her out. R2 comments with some BEEPS and a low WHISTLE, as he turns and takes up the rear.
 CSI
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Did you finish? I can't wait to see it is put into Archive.
 SamR
10-16-2006, 10:46 PM
This one is still in progress. I'm posting the scenes, as I complete them. But the other one, "Episode 3.2," is finished. I had it out a long time before starting this.
 SamR
10-29-2006, 8:16 PM
Have gone back and added to Ruwee Naberrie's line about the refugee relief movement, "Padmй volunteered, in her youth, as well."

----------------------------------------------------------------

EXT. SPACE – KAMINO – NEXT DAY

The view is just like the star map hologram, plus, the storm-shrouded planet of Kamino is exactly where it ought to be. Obi-Wan's Starfighter disengages from the hyperspace transport ring and heads down toward the planet.

INT. STARFIGHTER – SAME TIME

OBI-WAN
There it is, Arfour, right where it should be. Our missing planet, Kamino. Those files were altered.

From the Starfigher’s service cockpit, Obi-Wan’s Astro Droid, R4-P17, BEEPS a blue streak.

EXT. KAMINO - TIPOCA CITY - LANDING PLATFORM - DAY

Heavy RAINS and hard-driving WINDS LASH the platform, as Obi-Wan's Starfighter approaches. The huge, ultra-modern city of Tipoca rests on great stilts that keep it above the ever-present, CRASHING waves that cover the surface of this watery world.

The Starfighter lands. Obi-Wan gets out and makes his way through the HOWLING WIND, toward a tower on the far side of the platform. A door SLIDES open. A shaft of brilliant light pierces the swirling rain. Obi-Wan passes through it and goes inside.

INT. TIPOCA CITY - CORRIDOR ENTRANCE - DAY

A brilliant, white light. Obi-Wan pushes the soaked hood from his face.

TAUN WE (O.S.)
Master Jedi, so good to see you.

Obi-Wan wipes the rain from his face and blinks in surprise at a tall, slender, pasty-white being named TAUN WE. She has large, almond shaped eyes.

TAUN WE
The Prime Minister is expecting you.

OBI-WAN
(warily)
I'm expected?

TAUN WE
Of course! He is anxious to meet you. After all these years, we were beginning to think you weren't coming. Now please, this way!

Obi-Wan masks his surprise as they move away along the corridor.

INT. TIPOCA CITY - PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE - DAY

The door SLIDES open. OBI-WAN and Taun We enter and cross to where LAMA SU rises, smiling, from his chair, which, like all the furniture on Kamino, seems made out of pure light.

TAUN WE
May I present Lama Su, Prime Minister of Kamino . . . and this is Master Jedi . . .

OBI-WAN
Obi-Wan Kenobi.

LAMA SU indicates a chair. Obi-Wan remains standing. Taun We hovers. The room is bathed in brilliant white light. The whole place is ultra high-tech.

LAMA SU
I trust you are going to enjoy your stay. We are most happy you have arrived at the best part of the season.

OBI-WAN
You make me feel most welcome.

LAMA SU
(gestures to chair)
Please . . .

They sit.

LAMA SU (cont’d)
And now to business. You will be delighted to hear we are on schedule. Two hundred thousand units are ready, with another million well on the way.

OBI-WAN
(improvising)
That is . . . good news.

LAMA SU
Please tell your Master Sifo-Dyas that we have every confidence his order will be met on time and in full. He is well, I hope.

OBI-WAN

I'm sorry? Master . . .

LAMA SU
Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. He's still a leading member of the Jedi Council, is he not?

OBI-WAN
He was, the last time I saw him.

LAMA SU
I'm sure he’ll be proud of the army we've built for him.

OBI-WAN
For . . . him?

LAMA SU
For the Republic. Unless, of course, your Master is unable to take delivery, due to the sanctions. We would then just have to sell the army to someone else. It would be a shame. They are the finest we’ve ever created.

OBI-WAN
I imagine something has been arranged. I can’t vouch for what Senator Amidala might attempt to do about it, however.

He gauges the Kaminans’ reactions. They blink nonchalantly.

LAMA SU
The young, headstrong Senator is well, I hope?

OBI-WAN
As well as can be expected.

LAMA SU
You can assure her that, in the interest of re-establishing trade with the Republic, we have discontinued the line of business she was objecting to. We found it considerably less profitable than we had hoped.

OBI-WAN
So, I take it, there’s no bad blood between you and the Senator?

LAMA SU
Bad blood . . . an interesting phrase. We find such things to be bad for business. We Kaminans do not hold grudges, nor do we . . . what is it in your language? . . . burn bridges. But, now, you must be anxious to inspect the units for yourself.

OBI-WAN
That's why I'm here.

Obi-Wan and Lama Su rise and walk toward the door.

EXT. NABOO LAKE RETREAT – LANDING PLATFORM – DAY

A water speeder, driven by the retreat CARETAKER, docks at the island landing platform. Anakin and Padmй disembark the water speeder at the base of a lodge rising on the beautiful island in the middle of the lake.

EXT. LODGE - GARDEN TERRACE – DAY

Anakin and Padmй walk up the stairs from where the water speeder is parked onto a terrace overlooking a lovely garden. They stop at the balustrade and look out across the garden to the shimmering lake and the mountains rising beyond.

PADMЙ
When I was in Level Three, we used to come here for school retreat. I keep coming back, on occasion, to get away from things . . . to think.

ANAKIN
The Arboretum in the Jedi Temple serves the same purpose for us. It’s our favorite place to meditate.

PADMЙ
See that island? We used to swim there every day. I love the water.

ANAKIN
I do too. I can never get used to seeing so much of it.

PADMЙ
I guess that comes from growing up on a desert planet.

ANAKIN
Yeah, I guess.

His hand finds her back and begins rubbing it. She turns and looks at him. He withdraws his hand slowly.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
If you need to talk about what happened at your parents’, I have a sympathetic . . . hand.

Padmй gives him a knowing look.

INT. KAMINO – TIPOCA CITY – CLONE CENTER

Obi-Wan gazes at the nearest embryos, which are growing in a vast chamber of liquid-filled tubes. Accompanying him are Lama Su and Taun We, who are giving him a tour of the facility.

LAMA SU
In addition to being programmable, our Clones can think creatively. I think you’ll find them vastly superior to Droids in every way.

OBI-WAN
That, I don’t doubt . . . though, there’s at least one Droid I’ve met who might not agree.

INT. CLONE CENTER - CLASSROOM - DAY

The tour continues through a classroom filled with IDENTICAL YOUNG BOY CLONES.

LAMA SU
We take great pride in our combat education and training programs. This group was created about five years ago.

OBI-WAN
You mentioned growth acceleration . . .

LAMA SU
Oh yes, it's essential. Otherwise, a mature clone would take a lifetime to grow. Now, we can do it in half the time.

INT. CLONE CENTER - COMMISSARY - DAY

Lama Su conducts Obi-Wan through a large eating area. Taun We follows, as they walk by HUNDREDS OF CLONES who look exactly alike, all about twenty years old, dressed in black. They are seated at tables, eating.

LAMA SU
You'll find they are totally obedient, taking any order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make them less independent than the original host.

OBI-WAN
Who was the original host?

LAMA SU
A bounty hunter named Jango Fett. We felt a Jedi would be the perfect choice, but Master Sifo-Dyas hand-picked the bounty hunter himself.

OBI-WAN
Where is this bounty hunter now?

LAMA SU
Oh, we keep him here.

INT. CLONE CENTER - BARRACKS - DAY

The tour continues through a long corridor filled with narrow, transparent tubes into which CLONES are climbing. Once in the tube, the Clone goes to sleep.

LAMA SU
Apart from his pay, which is considerable, Fett demanded only one thing . . . an unaltered clone for himself. Curious, isn't it?

OBI-WAN
Unaltered?

LAMA SU
Pure genetic replication. No tampering with the structure to make it more docile . . . and no growth acceleration.

OBI-WAN
I would very much like to meet this Jango Fett.

TAUN WE
I would be most happy to arrange it for you.

LAMA SU
And, now, for the finished product . . .

EXT. TIPOCA CITY - PARADE GROUND - DAY

Obi-Wan, Lama Su and Taun We come out onto a balcony just large enough to shield them from the POUNDING RAIN. Below, is a huge parade ground. The RAIN and WIND are brutal but don’t seem to bother the THOUSANDS OF CLONE TROOPERS, faces covered by helmets, marching and drilling in formations of several hundred.

LAMA SU
(beaming)
Magnificent, aren't they?

OBI-WAN
(nods slowly)
Very impressive.
 SamR
10-29-2006, 8:18 PM
I know I'm taking another big risk with this revamp of the meadow scenes. Padme here isn't repressed in the same way as she is canon, although she will, in an upcoming variant of the "Fireplace Scene," give Anakin the talk about how a love affair could destroy them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXT. NABOO - MOUNTAIN MEADOW - DAY

Anakin and Padmй are seated, with a picnic spread, in the middle of an idyllic hilly meadow, its lush grasses sprinkled with flowers. At a distance, a herd of SHAAKS graze contentedly. Beyond is the shimmering expanse of the lake. Several other lakes stretch to the horizon. The warm air is full of little floating puffballs. Anakin SNEEZES. Padmй hands him a piece of native fruit.

PADMЙ
Here. This should help.

Anakin eats it.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
They’re my family. I love them. I’ll never stop loving them. But I can’t go down the path they’ve set for me, not after all that’s happened.

ANAKIN
When your nieces came out of the house and played with Artoo, you were great with them. They seemed to make you happy.

PADMЙ
They did, and I’m very happy for Sola. It’s not that I don’t want a family of my own. I do. I’ll start one someday, when this crisis is over . . . when I have time for a husband and a child. But I can’t just leave behind everything I’ve worked so long and hard for. What about you? Could you leave the Jedi behind?

ANAKIN
I don’t know. There might be something I could leave them for.

PADMЙ
Don’t you mean someone?

There is an uncomfortable pause.

ANAKIN
Was there ever someone . . . you fell in love with?

PADMЙ
No . . . yes . . . all right, maybe. There was a boy, in the Legislative Youth Program with me. I was twelve. He was a few years older. His name was Palo . . . very cute . . . dark curly hair . . . dreamy eyes . . .

ANAKIN
What happened to him?

PADMЙ
I went into public service. He went on to become an artist. He decided he didn’t like politics very much.

ANAKIN
I don’t either, but, with you, maybe he should have made an exception. He didn’t know what he was missing.

PADMЙ
(playfully)
Some counselor you’re turning out to be. You’ll say anything to get me to love you.

ANAKIN
(grins)
Well, if it works . . .

PADMЙ
Are you going to use one of your Jedi mind tricks on me and make me love you?

ANAKIN
It doesn’t work that way. The mind trick works only on the weak-minded. You’re anything but weak-minded. From the day we first met, I’ve sensed it.

PADMЙ
What do your Jedi Masters say? “Your technique is improving, young Skywalker.”

ANAKIN
Not only my Masters . . . the Chancellor too.

PADMЙ
You’ve been spending a lot of time with him, haven’t you?

ANAKIN
He gives me a lot of encouragement.

PADMЙ
He did for me, as well. I’ve learned much from him, but also not to become dependent on him. To have any hope of reforming the system, I had to be an independent voice.

ANAKIN
Yet, it doesn’t seem to be reforming. I don’t think the system works anymore.

PADMЙ
Tell me. How would you have it work?

ANAKIN
We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problem, agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and then do it.

PADMЙ
That’s exactly what we do. The trouble is that people don't always agree. In fact, they hardly ever do.

ANAKIN
Then they should be made to.

PADMЙ
By whom? Who's going to make them?

ANAKIN
I don't know. Someone wise.

PADMЙ
You?

ANAKIN
No, not me . . . someone.

PADMЙ
That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship.

A mischievous little grin creeps across Anakin’s face.

ANAKIN
A dictatorship, with you leading it, wouldn’t be so bad.

PADMЙ
(smiles)
You’re joking, of course.

Anakin’s grin grows bigger, then he breaks into a laugh. Padmй laughs with him. They are about to embrace, when her comlink BEEPS. She pulls it out and checks the reading.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
It’s your Master.

Sidling a few feet away from Anakin, she presses a button, and a miniature hologram of Obi-Wan appears, standing on the device.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Master Kenobi, what a pleasant surprise, you’re getting back to me so soon. I take it, you found Kamino?

INT. KAMINO – TIPOCA CITY – CLONE CENTER – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan paces in a windowed corridor, with a hologram of Padmй seated on his comlink.

OBI-WAN
Yes, and I must say, these Kaminans are some of the oddest lifeforms I’ve ever met with, and I’ve met many. I found no evidence that they’re behind the assassination attempts. However, I do believe the assassin is here, and I’ll be seeing him presently.

PADMЙ (holo)
That’s good news . . . at least I think it is. Something is wrong, isn’t it?

OBI-WAN
You could say that. I’ve found something else here, about which I’ve already informed the Jedi Council. They’ve agreed that I should inform you, as well, since there’d be no sense trying to hide it. You would find out, eventually. I’m . . . not sure how to begin. It’s a good thing you’re sitting down.

PADMЙ (holo)
(worried)
Go ahead. Whatever it is, tell me.

OBI-WAN
All right. It seems, at the time you cancelled the Republic’s contracts with Kamino, you missed one . . . in fact, a rather large one . . . I’m standing here, looking out at Clone Army Kamino has made for the Republic.

EXT. NABOO – MOUNTAIN MEADOW – SAME TIME

Padmй can’t quite believe what she just heard.

PADMЙ
Master Kenobi, did I hear you correctly? It sounds like you said Kamino has made a Clone Army for the Republic.

OBI-WAN (holo)
Yes, that’s exactly what I said. See for yourself.

He points his comlink out the window, and the hologram changes to a scene of parading Clones, breaking the idyllic atmosphere of the meadow. Padmй can’t believe what she’s seeing. Anakin looks at it, intrigued.

PADMЙ
Were you told who authorized this?

Obi-Wan turns his comlink back to himself.

OBI-WAN (holo)
Yes. Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas.

PADMЙ
Then, I wish to speak to Master Sifo-Dyas, at once.

OBI-WAN (holo)
I’m afraid you’ll find that rather difficult. You see, My Lady, Master Sifo-Dyas is dead. In fact, he was killed almost at the same time the Kaminans say he met with them.

For the moment, Padmй is speechless.

INT. KAMINO – TIPOCA CITY – CLONE CENTER – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan presses buttons on his comlink.

OBI-WAN
I seem to be having trouble with the sound on my comlink. Were you saying something, My Lady?

PADMЙ (holo)
Master Kenobi, thank you, for informing me of this. I’ll begin an investigation, right away. Is there anything else you can tell me?

Obi-Wan looks down the corridor.

OBI-WAN
Not at the moment. Someone’s coming. Kenobi out.

He switches off the comlink. Taun We approaches him.

TAUN WE
Oh, here you are. We had some trouble finding you. Part of our monitoring system seems to be malfunctioning.

OBI-WAN
I hope it’s not too bad.

TAUN WE
We’ll have it fully functioning again soon. It won’t affect the delivery of the army.

OBI-WAN
That’s good to hear. I’ve given my report to the Council. They were quite impressed.

TAUN WE
Excellent. We knew they would be pleased. We’re ready to show you to Fett’s quarters now.

OBI-WAN
Lead the way.

Taun We turns, and Obi-Wan follows her.

EXT. NABOO – MOUNTAIN MEADOW – DAY

Padmй walks in the distance with her comlink, having a spirited discussion with the hologram of Senator Ask Aak. Bored, Anakin walks over to the still-grazing herd of shaaks and climbs up onto the back of one of the animals. The shaak BELLOWS and begins bucking, but Anakin hangs on.

Padmй glances briefly at Anakin riding the shaak, then goes back to her conversation.

Getting control over the shaak, Anakin looks over to see Padmй still arguing on her comlink and not paying any attention to him. He’s not paying attention to the shaak, and when it bucks again, he loses his balance and, with a YELL, falls off.

PADMЙ
(to Ask Aak)
I will be at the hearing, if at all possible. If not, Representative Binks will attend, to be my eyes and ears. Amidala out.

She switches off the comlink then turns to see a riderless shaak moving away from Anakin, who lies face-down on the ground.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Anakin?

She starts walking, then running, toward him.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Anakin!

She reaches him and drops down next to him.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Ani! Ani! Say something!

Carefully, she turns him over and checks to see if he’s breathing. He opens his eyes and makes a silly face at her. She realizes she’s been tricked.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
You . . .!

She takes a swing at him. He catches her arm. They roll on the grass, laughing, in a mock struggle. They stop, looking deep into each other’s eyes. Then, overcome by the moment, they kiss passionately.
 CSI
11-05-2006, 1:14 AM
Oh, I see where it is...Yeah, it's far from end...

Keep up! Terrific script!
 SamR
11-14-2006, 8:24 PM
^ Thanks. :) And, yes, there's a long way to go yet.

EXT. TIPOCA CITY - DAY

Rain LASHES the city. Below, mighty waves POUND the stilts, breaking almost to the height of the platforms. A large AVIAN carrying Taun We and a rain-soaked Obi-Wan flies above the water toward a floating building complex.

INT. TIPOCA CITY - CORRIDOR - DAY

Taun We and a still-wet Obi-Wan approach the door of Jango Fett's apartment. Taun We waves her hand, and a muted bell RINGS.

As they wait, Obi-Wan notes the door lock entry mechanism. Then the door opens, and a ten-year-old boy, BOBA FETT, looks at them. He is identical to the boys in the classroom.

TAUN WE
Boba, is your father at home?

There is a brief pause.

BOBA
Yep.

TAUN WE
May we see him?

BOBA
Sure.

Another brief pause, then Boba steps aside, and Taun We and Obi-Wan go through.

INT. FETT APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan, Taun We, and Boba enter the apartment.

BOBA
Dad! Taun We's here!

Obi-Wan looks around the room. After a moment, Jango Fett comes in from the bedroom, wearing a baggy jumpsuit. He is unshaven and mean looking, his face pitted with scars of old wounds. There are a couple of weird tattoos on his muscular forearms. He eyes Obi-Wan with suspicion.

TAUN WE
Jango, welcome back. Was your trip productive?

JANGO
Fairly.

Obi-Wan and Jango size each other up. Boba studies both of them.

TAUN WE
This is Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's come to check on our progress.

JANGO
That right?

Jango’s eyes fix Obi-Wan coldly.

OBI-WAN
(to Jango)
Your clones are very impressive. You must be very proud.

JANGO
I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Universe.

OBI-WAN
Aren't we all?

Obi-Wan eyes the half-open bedroom door, through which a couple of pieces of body armor and a glimpse of a rocket pack can be seen on the floor. Jango registers Obi-Wan's look and moves in front of him, blocking the view.

OBI-WAN
Ever make your way as far into the interior as Coruscant?

JANGO
Once or twice.

OBI-WAN
Recently?

JANGO
(eyes Obi-Wan carefully)
Possibly . . .

OBI-WAN
Then you must know Master Sifo-Dyas?

JANGO
Master who?

OBI-WAN
Sifo-Dyas. Is he not the Jedi who hired you for this job?

JANGO
Never heard of him.

OBI-WAN
Really.

JANGO
I was recruited by a man called Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden. Said I was the perfect model for an army. You like them?

OBI-WAN
I look forward to seeing them in action.

JANGO FETT
(grinning)
They'll do their job well, I'll guarantee that.

Obi-Wan notes Jango’s hand positioned to draw something from his suit in a hurry.

OBI-WAN
That, I don’t doubt. We all have our jobs to do, don’t we? Now, I have to do mine.

Jango draws a blaster from a hip-pocket and FIRES, but Obi-Wan draws his light saber faster and IGNITES it, deflecting the BOLTS, then slices the blaster in half. Boba and Taun We are stunned.

BOBA
Dad!

TAUN WE
What is this?

OBI-WAN
(to Jango)
Don’t try anything else, or I’ll start taking off limbs.

TAUN WE
On behalf of my Government, I must forbid the use of violence!

Obi-Wan glances at Taun We, noting the irony.

OBI-WAN
My apologies to your Government, but by the authority of the Jedi Council, I’m arresting this man for eight counts of murder on Coruscant, in connection with two assassination attempts on Senator Amidala.

TAUN WE
You have no jurisdiction here.

Obi-Wan moves his free hand slightly.

OBI-WAN
In light of how important selling the Clone Army is to you, I suggest not bothering with such things as jurisdiction.

JANGO
(to Taun We)
He’s trying to trick you! Obviously, this Jedi was sent here, by Amidala, to sabotage your sale of the army!

OBI-WAN
(to Taun We)
I was sent here to find an assassin and return him to Coruscant.

BOBA
You’re taking my Dad away?!

OBI-WAN
I’m sorry, Boba, I must.
(to Jango)
Now, Jango, the Council is prepared to offer you a deal for-

BOBA
(interrupting)
You’re not taking my Dad!

Boba lunges at Obi-Wan and grabs his arm, which is holding the light saber. Obi-Wan tries to knock Boba away, without harming him, but then Boba bites down hard on Obi-Wan’s hand. Obi-Wan CRIES OUT and drops his light saber. Jango deals Obi-Wan a body-blow, which sends him reeling, then bolts for the door, knocking an astonished Taun We down.

JANGO
Boba, get to the ship!

Obi-Wan uses the Force to retrieve his light saber, but winces, when his bleeding hand catches it. He recovers and runs out the door after Jango.

INT. CORRIDOR – CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan chases Jango past apartments, where KAMINANS stick their long necks out of doorways to see what is happening. Jango runs through a sliding exit door into . . .

EXT. TIPOCA CITY – CONTINUOUS

the RAINSTORM. Obi-Wan sprints out after Jango, and is gaining on him. But then Jango jumps onto the back of the avian, which had carried Obi-Wan and Taun We there, and takes off before Obi-Wan can reach him. Obi-Wan runs toward a SECOND AVIAN sitting nearby and leaps up onto its back. The avian turns its head, opens its beak, and makes a sound like “RAAAAAAAARRRR” at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan lays his hand on the avian’s side, soothingly.

OBI-WAN
Nice bird . . . I need your help.

EXT. TIPOCA CITY – A MINUTE LATER

Obi-Wan is flying his avian out over the violently swelling ocean, after Jango who’s headed for the Clone Center buildings in the distance. Obi-Wan grimaces from the wind shear knocking his avian back and forth, and from the rain PUMMELING his face.

Jango lands his avian on a balcony, jumps to the metal and starts running. Obi-Wan flies his avian past Jango then circles around and leaps off in front of him, cutting him off.

OBI-WAN
It’s over, Jango.

Jango doubles back and, before Obi-Wan can catch him, leaps onto a slanted glass skylight.

INT. CLONE CENTER – CONTINUOUS

Jango CRASHES through the skylight and into the facility, where SEVERAL of the THOUSANDS of ADULT CLONES crowding there break his fall. ALARMS SOUND, as Obi-Wan throws a grappling hook from his utility belt at one of the supports in the building and rappels down it toward where Jango fell. Jango gets up and runs through the crowd of Clones toward a set of locker rooms.

Reaching the floor, Obi-Wan retrieves his grappling hook and starts moving though the crowd, in the direction Jango went. Clones mill around, MURMUR, and stare at Obi-Wan, all with faces that look like Jango’s, only younger.

INT. LOCKER ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan enters to find HUNDREDS OF CLONES getting into or out of body armor and helmets. Next-door, he sees an armory, with Clones passing in and out. Many stare at him.

OBI-WAN
I have a bad feeling about this.

Suddenly, one “Clone” produces a bazooka-size weapon and FIRES a powerful beam at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan IGNITES his light saber just in time to deflect the beam, which BLASTS holes in the walls and ceiling and sends Clones scattering. But the beam is stronger than he is, and it forces him back, as Jango, now in full Clone armor, advances on him.

Obi-Wan uses the Force to leap up, out of the way of the beam, which then DISINTEGRATES the wall behind where he was standing. He grabs onto one of the holes in the ceiling with his free hand and, before Jango can re-aim to blast him, propels himself up through it. Jango starts BLASTING the ceiling indiscriminately.

INT. UPPER LEVEL – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan jumps and leaps to avoid the BLASTS, which are destroying the whole room. He runs down a corridor to temporary safety then leans back against a wall, catching his breath.

OBI-WAN
Where’s Anakin when I need him? . . . Don’t bother answering that.
 CSI
11-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Heh. I like the part Jango was fighting with Obi-Wan. Well, is that the time to cur Anakin out?
 SamR
12-02-2006, 8:46 PM
^ Thanks. :) The idea for that last line was Obi-Wan had been cursing Anakin out earlier on Coruscant, but now he really needs Anakin's help and wishes he were there.

And now, a very different take on the infamous "fireplace scene."

INT. NABOO – MOUNTAIN LODGE – MAIN ROOM - EVENING

Anakin and Padmй are seated by the fireplace, looking a bit disheveled. Firelight flickers in their troubled faces.

PADMЙ
If we do this . . . it could destroy us.

ANAKIN
I know it’s a risk . . . but I’m willing to take it, if you are.

PADMЙ
(lightly)
And I’m well known for taking risks.
(seriously)
But not this kind. Naboo is very traditional. I didn’t know how traditional, until I got out and saw other worlds. There are many here for whom a Senator and a Jedi Padawan being lovers would be an issue greater than war. I could probably survive it. But you . . . you’d be breaking the Jedi Code. They’d almost surely expel you from the Order. I can’t be the cause of that.

ANAKIN
You don’t have to be, because they don’t have to know. No one has to know.

Padmй gets up and paces.

PADMЙ
They’ll know. My sister sensed it immediately. So did my mother. So will others, if we can’t hide our feelings any better than we have. That could make it even worse for us.

ANAKIN
But what of our feelings? I don’t know about you, but I can’t just wish mine away.

Padmй sits next to him and touches him softly.

PADMЙ
I don’t want you to. I want you to hold on to them. Keep them safe. Have patience, for there may come a time when we can be together.

ANAKIN
(skeptically)
What time will that be, Padmй?

PADMЙ
A time when there’s no war threatening . . . when there’s no Clone Army about to be unleashed on the Galaxy . . . when you’re a Jedi Master and, just maybe, between us, we can change the rules.

ANAKIN
(astonished)
What are you saying? . . . That we could make the Jedi Council change the Code, just for us?

PADMЙ
Not make them . . . and not just for us. That wouldn’t be fair. Convince them . . . that their ban on love is wrong . . . that it denies a basic need all of us have . . . that it causes suffering!

ANAKIN
(gets up)
Just try convincing Master Windu! Or Master Yoda! “Knowledge you have, of what’s right and wrong for the Order?” he’ll ask. “Eight hundred years longer than you have I been a Jedi. ”What the Code should be, who are you to question?”

PADMЙ
I’d have thought Master Yoda would know the difference between knowledge and wisdom . . . that there’s always more to learn, no matter how old the learner . . . or the teacher.

ANAKIN
And while we wait for the old Master’s enlightenment to new ways, what happens to us? What if you find someone else?

PADMЙ
I won’t. I’ll wait for you.

ANAKIN
For how long? What happens when you start running out of time?

PADMЙ
Anakin, don’t do this.

ANAKIN
No, Padmй, you don’t do this! Don’t treat me like some bill in your committee that you can put off and manipulate how and when it comes to a vote! Love doesn’t work that way!

PADMЙ
How does it work, then? Tell me.

ANAKIN
It makes protecting you matter more to me than my own life . . . assignment or no assignment.

PADMЙ
I have the same feelings about you. It’s why I won’t let you give up your life as a Jedi for me.

ANAKIN
The Jedi no longer matter . . . nothing matters more than having you with me!

PADMЙ
Is that love . . . or obsession?
(gets up and takes him by the arms)
Ani, what’s happening around us is important. We can’t ignore it, even if we want to. I’ve become the most influential woman the Republic has known for centuries. If the rumors I’ve heard about you are true, you’re to be the most influential of the Jedi someday. A responsibility comes with that . . . to put the needs of others before our own. Only then, can our needs truly be met. We can change the course of this galaxy, from the reckless path it’s taking, and bring balance to it . . . lead it to a place that brings out the good in people, not the fear in them . . . and where there’s no reason for rules that forbid a Jedi and a Senator from falling in love.

ANAKIN
I don’t have the confidence in people that you have, Padmй. I fear the good that's in them isn't going to be enough.
(takes her by the shoulders)
Yet, I’ve long had the feeling things are going to happen, in our generation, that’ll change the galaxy in profound ways . . . and the Force. I believe I’m destined to bring balance to the Force. I heard it from Master Qui-Gon, when I was a small boy. Maybe you’re part of the destiny he spoke of, and we should try it your way. Maybe, once we fulfill it, it’ll free us to live our lives together.

PADMЙ
I don’t believe in destiny . . . but, if your believing in it helps us get through this, then I won’t argue with you.

She rises up on tiptoe and gives him a light kiss.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Goodnight, Anakin.

ANAKIN
Goodnight, Padmй.

Padmй starts toward one of the bedrooms then stops halfway.

PADMЙ (cont’d)
Ani . . . I’m curious . . . how could you know about the way I treat bills in committee?

ANAKIN
I’ve seen you at work on the Holonet, whenever I had the chance.

PADMЙ
Weren’t you bored by the proceedings?

ANAKIN
I was . . . but not by you.

Padmй smiles.
Page: 1 of 1