Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Feedback

Page: 1 of 1
 stingerhs
08-12-2006, 2:52 PM
...but before we can, i need your input since this is primarily for your benefit. i would like suggestions on organization, rule modification, et cetera that deals with the Dantooine Theatre Company Forum.

so, lets get this one started. :)

note: i've set this thread up for this forum only. if you have suggestions for the other forums, please use the Feedback Forum (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=584). thank you.
 The Source
08-12-2006, 4:14 PM
Seperate the RPGs into subsections.

[Forums #1] - RPG: KotOR Series Era
[Forums #2] - RPG: Episodes I-III Era
[Forums #3] - RPG: Episodes Iv-VI Era
[Forums #4] - RPG: EU: NJO Era
[Forums #5] - RPG: EU: Everything Else

[Forums #7] - General SW: RPG Gossip, rules, debates, & upcoming releases.
[Forums #8] - General Non-SW: RPG Gossip, rules, debates, & upcoming releases.
 Darth333
08-12-2006, 4:25 PM
I think that having a multitude of subforums would be more of a nuisance than a welcomed measure when browsing and it would lead to even less forum activity. People would visit only their favorite section and RPG made in other forums would never have a chance... It's not like there were tons of active RPG threads at a time.
 The Source
08-12-2006, 4:33 PM
It was just a thought.

---------Added----------

It is kind of funny. You people open a thread for suggestions, and then you critisise the suggestion. I don't care if you take my suggestions. If you opened up a thread to critisize a suggestion, then why did you open the thread in the first place?

Remember, this is a thread of suggestions, so you people can find ways to make things more fun and efficient. This is not a thread to critisise the suggestion. Suggestions should be given to the moderators and admins in a way so that they can be considered in private.

No suggestion should be publically dissmissed. I would use this thread in a way that will get all the moderators and admins together in private, so they could consider what ones are useful.
 Darth333
08-12-2006, 5:55 PM
Remember, this is a thread of suggestions, so you people can find ways to make things more fun and efficient. This is not a thread to critisise the suggestion. Suggestions should be given to the moderators and admins in a way so that they can be considered in private.
Don't see it as if we completely dismiss the ideas that are posted. I was giving my own thoughts for discussion purposes as well. If I see a possible issue with a suggestion I post it for discussion and to gather your thoughts. Perhaps like this, other suggestions that nobody would otherwise mention can be brought up.

No decisions will be taken right now. We just want some feedback and we'll see what we do with it later on.
 ForceFightWMe12
08-12-2006, 8:59 PM
My suggestion would also be to create subforums, though not quite to the extent that Mac had suggested. Rather, simply three would be sufficient, I think.

Casting Call/Character threads
Role-Play section
OOC section

This is just the general set up of most RP sections on many sites, and the system makes things easier to tell which threads are which, what RPs have begun, which are closed to sign-up, etc. In other words, organization.
 Diego Varen
08-13-2006, 4:35 PM
My suggestion would also be to create subforums, though not quite to the extent that Mac had suggested. Rather, simply three would be sufficient, I think.

Casting Call/Character threads
Role-Play section
OOC section

This is just the general set up of most RP sections on many sites, and the system makes things easier to tell which threads are which, what RPs have begun, which are closed to sign-up, etc. In other words, organization.

That wouldn't be bad (Seven Sub-Forums are a bit too much). Also, perhaps Casting Call/Character Threads and OOC section could be in the same Forum and the main DTC Forum could be the Role-Play section. That is my suggestion.
 RaV™
09-06-2006, 5:39 PM
I agree with Force's idea. anymore than three seems a little too much. I also agree about what Darth333 means by it being a nuissance.
 starmark2k
09-07-2006, 4:23 PM
3. Don't spam. Spam is a post that has no point or does not contribute to the discussion. Spammy threads will be closed. Spammy posts will be edited or deleted. Also note that one-sentence posts and one-liner posts are also now considered to be Spam. If you have problems RP'ing this way, then just interject some creativity. Spammers will be warned or have their posts edited or deleted at moderator discretion.

The only thing i feel is needed to 'make the forum better is to start enforcing this rule more. It is one of my pet hates when i'm roleplaying and someone only seems post a one liner. I know somtimes it is unavoidable as you can only do so much 'filling' when in a conversation and these don't bother me as much. but when you have someone making no attempt at it and they're one line post don't seem to contribute much i just want to shout at them.

I'm aware i'm being a little hippocritical(sp) as i on very rare occasion do this, but it still winds me up and ruin the whole Experiance of roleplaying and always ruins the RP. I Think most people do think before they post and don't do this making sure they add more substance to there posts.

I know this will be hard as although i'm sure all moderators check on the forum but only Stingerhs actually joins in the RPs and is more likely to notice these things, however i think it really needs to be done.

That's my two cents, i'm glad i got that off my chest and i hope it was helpful.
 Quist
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but since it's stickied, I figured everyone should at least take a look at it anyway.

I've been reading the Dantooine Theater Company for quite some time now and I enjoy watching RPs develop. They have a very different dynamic from regular fan fiction like the works in the Coruscant Entertainment Center, since they require cooperative writing. There are many different styles and characters and it makes for quite interesting reading. In any case, I just have a few thoughts that I've come up with in the course of my readings that I'd like to throw out there.

1. Overpowered characters - Yes, I understand that this is Role-Play and fantasy and as such, we do it to escape the real world and have our characters be as extraordinary as our imaginations can make them. But I think that they should come with limits, as characters who are a little too powerful can really just take all the fun out of the story. Since this is a Star Wars forum, a lot of the RPs center around Jedi, which is quite understandable. Jedi are already pretty powerful compared to other characters and to create a character that has abilities far beyond that, be it super-powerful attacks or time travel or other such nigh-omnipotence just really makes the whole experience kind of ridiculous.

2. Continuity - When you boil it down, RPs are really just another form of storytelling. And all good stories need continuity and flow, otherwise things just get really confusing. Players need to communicate with each other in order to keep the flow of things continuous, lest their story get convoluted. For instance, it's really confusing to read that a character is on one planet, doing one thing and in the next post, that same character is a galaxy away, doing some other thing.

3. Creativity - I think this pretty much speaks for itself. Original ideas and plot devices are just as important it Role-Plays as they are in traditional forms of fiction. To fall back on stereotypes, overused plot devices and deus ex machinae is incredibly boring.

4. Active involvement - I know this was touched upon in the rules, but I thought I might just re-emphasize how important it is. In order for an RP to work, people need to participate. I know we all have real-life stuff to deal with that take our attention, but if you join an active RP, expect to have to keep up or get lost in the shuffle. On the flip side, there is such a thing as over-involvement, when certain characters and players take over the RP, leaving other characters in the dust. This can be just as destructive as under-involvement, maybe even more so.

5. Cooperation and Respect - Again, I think this one is self-explanatory. This is cooperative writing and we all need to respect one another's thoughts and ideas. Good compromising skills are needed in order to make things work, especially if there are very assertive people in the mix. Once again, good communication is key to aiding in cooperation and it makes the RP experience that much more rewarding.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. :)
 ForceFightWMe12
05-22-2007, 4:28 PM
Quist...I love you :xp:
 Corinthian
06-04-2007, 4:14 PM
From personal experience, Source, your idea causes more trouble than it's worth. I briefly ran an RP forum, and that kind of thing just made problems. ForceFight's idea was better, although I'd separate the RPs into two groups, Star Wars and Non-Star Wars.
 Daft Adidas
07-14-2007, 9:29 AM
I know no one has posted in a month but I thought I can just put in my point about all of this this. :)

If you are regular RPer like myself and you join lots and create/master lots of RP's one thing you might notice is there isn't much involvement. What I'm trying to say is you make an rp, it's pretty decent and no one joins it. Ok there's the odd people who make a rediculous (sp?) plot and awful sign up sheet they should be ignored but I think if you are a regular RPer stay RPing, when joining one try and post as much and always try and read the new rps to see if you'd like to join.

A while back I made some pretty awful stuff and left a few RPs without notice so I'm learning from my mistakes and I would hope the regular RPers do the same.

Thanks, hope i've explained that clear enough.
 Reclaimer
07-14-2007, 9:52 AM
I know no one has posted in a month but I thought I can just put in my point about all of this this. :)

If you are regular RPer like myself and you join lots and create/master lots of RP's one thing you might notice is there isn't much involvement. What I'm trying to say is you make an rp, it's pretty decent and no one joins it. Ok there's the odd people who make a rediculous (sp?) plot and awful sign up sheet they should be ignored but I think if you are a regular RPer stay RPing, when joining one try and post as much and always try and read the new rps to see if you'd like to join.

A while back I made some pretty awful stuff and left a few RPs without notice so I'm learning from my mistakes and I would hope the regular RPers do the same.

Thanks, hope i've explained that clear enough.

I agree. I think everyone should try out an RP, but also, we shouldn't, or better yet, we can't force people to RP. I think though, that there should be forum coordinated RP. Like, people vote on a role playing subject, then someone, preferrably a very good writer/role player, would write the story based off the winning subject, and then that could be the main RP until it ends, then people can vote to continue it or end it.

Just an idea/suggestion.
 Daft Adidas
07-14-2007, 9:56 AM
I think that's a great idea! :) It would give the RP alot of attention, alot of posters and maybe you can finish. Each time alos someone new can be picked to write it on that subject. Though we couldn't trash all the other RP. That can just be a seperate forum.
 Reclaimer
07-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I think that's a great idea! :) It would give the RP alot of attention, alot of posters and maybe you can finish. Each time alos someone new can be picked to write it on that subject. Though we couldn't trash all the other RP. That can just be a seperate forum.

Yeah! Like, we would rotate between writers, or even vote on a writer, but they can't go twice in a row. A seperate forum would be good too. It would help so the RP wouldn't be lost, and if there's a series, then they would be archived all in one place.
 Daft Adidas
07-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Also when an RP is finished it can be viewed by other members. It's fun to read old RPs. Ther eason I brought this up is from experience of making RP's that no one joins. It would be great to find a way to get RPs with more attention.
 Reclaimer
07-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Also when an RP is finished it can be viewed by other members. It's fun to read old RPs. Ther eason I brought this up is from experience of making RP's that no one joins. It would be great to find a way to get RPs with more attention.

Yeah, and they'll be there so people can understand the story, even though a summary of the continuing RP should be at the begining of the new RP.
 starmark2k
07-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree. I think everyone should try out an RP, but also, we shouldn't, or better yet, we can't force people to RP. I think though, that there should be forum coordinated RP. Like, people vote on a role playing subject, then someone, preferably a very good writer/role player, would write the story based off the winning subject, and then that could be the main RP until it ends, then people can vote to continue it or end it.

Just an idea/suggestion.

It's been tried before and didn't work... The problem is people stop posting if they get bored of the RP or in some cases annoyed with the other players.

The thing with people not joining RPs is if the story doesn't interest a you, you won't join it. It's nothing personal to the master it's just that the story may not be something a player wishes to get involved with.

I'm probably in the top three RP starters here when concerning volume (Probably the first). I personally can't see a pattern to my successful RPs and unsuccessful ones (in terms of people joining).
 Reclaimer
07-14-2007, 10:21 AM
It's been tried before and didn't work... The problem is people stop posting if they get bored of the RP or in some cases annoyed with the other players.

The thing with people not joining RPs is if the story doesn't interest a you, you won't join it. It's nothing personal to the master it's just that the story may not be something a player wishes to get involved with.

I'm probably in the top three RP starters here when concerning volume (Probably the first). I personally can't see a pattern to my successful RPs and unsuccessful ones (in terms of people joining).

I understand that. It was only a suggestion. I used to RP all the time, about a few years ago on the Jedi Knight forums. I had few good successful RP's, but soon it died down, so I just left.

I'm glad to see that there is still some life here in these RP forums.
Page: 1 of 1