Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP Ryyk Blade

Page: 1 of 1
 Inyri
07-22-2006, 4:45 PM
Before anyone mentions it, yes, I noticed one was already made ;). That's never been something to stop me from making something of my own, though.

Anyway, I'm really planning on making this for K1 (though I may rig it for both, depending on whether I ever feel like playing K2 again). Right now I've just got the model "done" (minus extra detail). I've only been working on it for about a half hour so there's room for improvement.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/1908/ryykmodeloe4.jpg)

Been a while since I modeled anything, so I'm open to suggestions!
 Mav
07-22-2006, 5:13 PM
nice, I especially like the detail around the hilt, handguard and the lower part of the blade, can't wait to see a skin, and me being the nosy guy I am is just wondering about the poly count, lol
 Inyri
07-22-2006, 5:23 PM
Polycount is 915 right now. I used more detail than I normally would have on the hilt portion, but I'm so used to modelling for Jedi Academy that I like to use an inordinant amount of polies when I'm modelling for KotOR ;).

The droid tri-fighter in my avatar is the highest poly model I've ever made, though. Waaay more detail than I should've put into it :p.
 Mav
07-22-2006, 5:37 PM
well it looks great and to be honest, I'm not saying, "bah, so many polys!!" I'm just curious :) besides in TSL I've equiped all 3 party members with 2, 2000+ poly saber models each, and the game didn't really didn't take a hit, so nothing to worry about there. Also, that droid tri-fighter in your avatar looks sweet :)
 Jackel
07-22-2006, 5:43 PM
Nice looking blade so far. As Mav said cant wait to see it skinned.

Small suggestions: (Hey you asked for them ;) )

Slightly longer blade.

Double blade version of it for use as a two handed weapon.
 Inyri
07-22-2006, 5:45 PM
Small suggestions: (Hey you asked for them ;) )

Slightly longer blade.

Double blade version of it for use as a two handed weapon.Double-bladed version, maybe. As for lengthening the blade, while I'm planning on taking certain design liberties with the extra detail, that's how long ryyk blades are (according to my references).
 Arбtoeldar
07-22-2006, 6:30 PM
Looks good InyriForge.

I wish I had the patience to learn how to textures.:o:(
 Pavlos
07-22-2006, 7:08 PM
Wow! Inyri, that looks great. I can't wait to get my hands on this. :thumbsup:
 T7nowhere
07-22-2006, 7:08 PM
It looks good and anything under 1000 polys is cool. The one I made to replace Bacca's blade is 603 tri's, but the hilt on mine is a Terentatek claw so I saved some polys there with a simpler shape. :)
 Inyri
07-22-2006, 7:27 PM
I wish I had the patience to learn how to textures.:o:(Me too! ;)

Just kidding. I've actually gotten.... decent with blades and such.
 woogiee
07-22-2006, 8:06 PM
Looks great so far Inyri, as do all of your models :D. About the double bladed one, what about putting it on a pole? Something like this

http://www.illumia-rpg.com/pic/polearm.gif)
 Inyri
07-22-2006, 9:03 PM
I've been thinking about the most efficient way to make it dual-bladed. A swallow-like approach will probably be what I settle on. Anyway, early textures:

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/9485/ryyktexturezr1.jpg)

Something about the texture is bugging me, so I'm going to keep working on it.
 Mav
07-22-2006, 10:00 PM
if you're looking for some opinions, I would say that I like the texturing of the hilt, but I'm not so big on the gold strip running down the middle of the blade, I'm not sure if the gold strip is on a ridge thats modeled in, but it doesn't seem fitting to me. I dunno just my opinion, looking good though.
 Achilles
07-23-2006, 12:21 AM
That looks great!

The ryyk I made was my very first model. I'm glad to see that someone decided to make another that includes all the detail that I missed. Well done, Ms. Forge! ;)
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2006, 3:12 AM
Nice. ;)

Looks great skinned, though I agree with Mav, something about that stripe seems.... off.

Great job all the same. :)
 Dirtnose
07-24-2006, 6:56 AM
Looks Amazing Cant Wait for it :D
 oldflash
07-24-2006, 7:37 AM
Looks great :thmbup1:
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 3:16 PM
As soon as I get enough patience to work on the mangled UVs I was given after compile I'll work on it some more. Unless some of the seasoned modellers can enlighten me on why that happens ;).
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2006, 4:06 PM
Heh... That's because you're separating faces in the UV that are welded together on the mesh. When the model is compiled, it basically stitches each objects' UV back together, causing some bad warping. I've had the issue quite often. The solution is to find where you separated faces on the UV, and separate those faces on the mesh. It can ruin some good smoothing groups, but there's not much else to do. :( That's why it takes me an entire day to map and texture one of my guns. :p

By the way, I'm pretty sure you can just detach-to-object the parts that are separate on the UV map, but I typically just detach them as separate objects to be safe. :)

Unless, of course, your problem is something different entirely... In which case, I misunderstood your problem. If that's the case, I apologize.
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 4:10 PM
I had a feeling I'd need to unweld things. Meh, this is going to be much higher poly than I'd intended :p. And I'll have to wait until I "feel" like going back and massacreing the model :p.

Thanks Mono. :)
 Darth333
07-24-2006, 4:14 PM
Nice work Inyri!

About the stripe others mentioned, I can't say it really bothers me. Maybe if it would be a bit thinner but it's really no big deal (and who am I to comment on this? My modeliing skills are terrible) . It looks pretty good as it is! :thumbsup:
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 4:18 PM
The stripe was something I was experimenting with, because the blade looked a little boring and my pixel art is somewhat... lacking, most of the time. I might have to work with it a little, just as soon as I fix it.

I was planning on having a couple of versions, namely one for Zaalbar and one for Chuundar, since they are traditional Wookiee weapons. However since they're custom made they'll at least need to vary skin-wise, if not somewhere in the model. I'll have to think on it s'more.
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2006, 4:33 PM
I had a feeling I'd need to unweld things. Meh, this is going to be much higher poly than I'd intended :p. And I'll have to wait until I "feel" like going back and massacreing the model :p.

No problem, I know how it feels. :p
 T7nowhere
07-24-2006, 4:37 PM

The poly count shouldn't increase but the vert count will, As Mono said all you need to do is detach to object the same poly groups that you have laid out in the UVmap.

To add to what Mono said, the smooth groups that you can specify in gmax/3dsmax do not translate over when you export and compile the model. The game will smooth all polys that are attached to one another. So if you want a sharp edge on the blade you will want to detach one side from the other.

It is a pain in the butt and often you will feel like your butchering your model, but it's a necessary step for KotOR modeling.
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2006, 4:41 PM
I knew I forgot to mention something, thanks for the backup, T7. :p
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 5:03 PM
The game will smooth all polys that are attached to one another. So if you want a sharp edge on the blade you will want to detach one side from the other.Now that is some helpful news. I wondered why things looked so strange... Talk about inefficiency, though :p.

Edit: Only took me about 10 minutes to separate everything, and the result is much nicer than the original.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6820/ryykingamevu2.th.jpg) (http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ryykingamevu2.jpg)
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
For those that complained I added another model variant without the ridge. I plan on using the ridgeless one, which also has silver trim rather than gold, as Zaalbar's blade, and the more ornate-looking on as Chuundar's.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/948/ryyksik7.th.jpg) (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ryyksik7.jpg)

It's basically done, minus testing of course. And icons...
 Mono_Giganto
07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Looks good. I didn't mean for that to sound like a complanit, by the way. It was just something that seemed "off" to me, and I thought I'd point it out. It's your mesh and your texture, and you're free to do what you want with it. :)

Great work, again. :D
 Inyri
07-24-2006, 11:24 PM
It was quite easy to take it out (far easier than I expected - just had to do some texture touchups) and it worked well since I did want two variations of the blade anyway. Now there's something for everyone :p.
 Mav
07-24-2006, 11:42 PM
yea.. :( I didn't mean it as a complaint, it was just an opinion... sorry, it looks great though, awesome job
 Inyri
07-25-2006, 9:22 PM
I'm thinking I used the wrong terminology here. I've been modding a long time... I've learned to listen to my crits ;).
 Inyri
07-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm just curious whether people would prefer the Ryyk blades be Wookiee only or available to everyone. In terms of realisticness, I'd prefer to make them Wookiee only, but even I'll admit that I hardly ever use Zaalbar, and I don't think the Ryyk blades would be enough incentive for me to use him, and I'm guessing some people would feel the same way. Any thoughts?
 T7nowhere
07-27-2006, 12:41 AM
You can write the description to make it sound like only wookiee's should use them, but just leave it up to the player to decide. Or you can make alternate uti's, one with the restriction and one without.

Ultimately the decision is up to you and if people don't like it then they can learn how to change it. I personally make my mods they way I would want to play them, because I know there is no way to satisfy everyone.
 Achilles
07-27-2006, 12:47 AM
I forget which of the P-n-P resources I read this in (probably the weapons guide) but they say that Wookiees don't take kindly to non-Wookiees using their weapons. You could just write that into the description (as T7 suggested) or make it a restricted item. Restricted is probably more "role play" but either way works.
Page: 1 of 1