Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

simple editing

Page: 1 of 1
 wazmol69
07-22-2006, 4:19 PM
can someone tell me a tutorial for simple editing. especialy hex editing thanks alot.

p.s if you dont no what i mean i just want to change vehicles in levels and weapons of soldiers.
 AceMastermind
07-23-2006, 12:14 AM
This tutorial is for HEX EDITING, not BF2Modtools!!
I found this tutorial on the internet somewhere, maybe it will help you.

There are a lot of different hex editors out there but it can work with Hex Edit Workshop or Pspad.
Here are two examples:

Basic Rules
~Always make backups of your original folder.
~Only change a charactor if the one you want to change is shorter than the one you don't want.
~There are some very strict rules that I can't begin to tell that won't let you change some things (the game will crash)

This is a guide for making jedi on coruscant.
First thing, open up C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\DATA\_LVL_PC
and copy the MISSION file to another folder. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TWO MISSION FILES before you go on.
Open up your copied version of the MISSION file with your hex editor.
Then press Ctrl+F on your keyboard. There should be a search screen. Search for cor1_conquest.
Scroll up until you see SIDE\rep.lvl on your screen. It shouldn't be very far up. Use a mouse wheel to scroll, it works best.
If you drag the box on the side, it will go up or down way farther than you want it to go. This is where it gets tricky.
Scroll down just a tiny bit until you see rep_hero_mace windu.
Click right before the rep part and type in rep_hero_anakin.
Do not delete anything leftover or anything period.
After you are done typing in anakin, you'll be left with rep_hero_anakinndu.
If you have hex edit workshop, it highlights your changes in red.
Click right before the 6E64 section. Notice that there is also that the n is underline on the other side.
Replace the 6E64 75 with 0000 00. This means your saying "nothing".
As you type in the zeros, the ndu will change to three dots. You have just changed the hero on coruscant conquest mode form Mace Windu to Anakin Skywalker.
Next thing, you'll see rep_hero_anakin.........SIDE\cis.lvl. Change SIDE\cis.lvl to SIDE\jed.lvl
Right underneath is cis_inf_rifleman change that to jed_knight_01
Underneath that is cis_fly_droidfighter_DOME leave this alone
Underneath that is cis_inf_rocketeer change this to jed_master_02
remember to replace any extra wording with 00 on the hex code side
Save the MISSION file and you will be done.
Switch MISSION files and play coruscant on conquest mode.

Next, you'll learn how to put heroes in space.
Again, open up C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\DATA\_LVL_PC and make a copy of your MISSION file.
You have to be absolutely certain that you have a backup in case something goes wrong.
Open up your MISSION file with your hex editor and press Ctrl+F on your keyboard to open up the search screen.
Type in rep_fly_anakinstarfighter_sc and search. This first one is not the one you want.
Hit F3 twice and you'll get to the spot.
Right above the rep_fly_anakin_starfighter_sc you should see rep_fly_assault_dome and above that you'll see rep_inf_ep3_marine.
Lets just use Anakin Skywalker for now, so let's put him in.
Replace rep_inf_ep3_marine with rep_hero_anakin. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING leftover or you will mess up the format of the file.
You'll be left with rep_hero_anakinin.
Go over to the hex side and replace 696E 65 with 0000 00. This should do just fine.
Save your MISSION file and start your game.
Play space assault on Space Kashyyyk and have fun mercilicely slaughtering droids!
 wazmol69
08-06-2006, 3:25 AM
thanks alot that really helped now i can change ground units but how do i change space ones its hard ive tried lots of times but i fail also is there a way to change vehicles such as putting atte's in other levels replacing others i tried replacing rep_hover_fightertank with rep_walk_atte but it doesnt work. thanks again.

sorry i forgot...... also can you tell me how to change units weapons because i would like a blaster rifle to be on the clone commander so the clone commander has the chaingun and the blaster rifle
 AceMastermind
08-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I wish i could answer your questions, but i've never Hex Edited so i can't.
I just use the BF2 Modtools to modify maps and such, you should give the Modtools a try, you have much more control of what you want to do and what you can do, the possibilities seem endless.
Page: 1 of 1