Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The sequel might be on its way...

Page: 1 of 1
 Nick Virago
07-20-2006, 6:00 PM
Hey... wait! Keep those pitchforks away from me!!! I'm telling the truth!
Ok, LucasArts has nothing to do with this, allow me to explain:

Have you ever heard of the Adventure Game Studio? It's a free engine used to create adventure games (duh!) with no need of knowing anything about programming. Fan-made sequels to Sam & Max or Zak McKracken have been made with this engine, and they were damn good since you can actually rip the sprites from another games (plus they had good stories).
Now, I checked the forums recently and there is some user interested in creating "Grim Fandango 2". It might take some time since you can only create 2d games with that engine (there are other engines to create 3d games, but they are far more complicated).
For further information, go to bigbluecup.com, then go to the forums and search for "Grim Fandango".

Keep your hopes (and your shotguns) down. This is only a possibility.
 Chep
07-20-2006, 6:11 PM
It won't have the same voice actors or Tim Schafer to write it. I am not interested.
 James Isaac
07-21-2006, 3:58 AM
AGS isn't a very good choice for a Grim Fandango sequel (mainly due to it being 2D like you said). The Wintermute (http://www.dead-code.com) engine is simple to use and supports 3D characters on 2D backgrounds (Grim Fandango style)
 Smon
07-21-2006, 4:13 AM
I'm good either way, as long as it's interesting and entertaining.

Edit-I just took a look at that Wintermute engine, wow. 3D capabilities and everything, I support it, but the creator's gonna need Milkshape also which isn't free.
 James Isaac
07-21-2006, 4:22 AM
Actually, I moved this to the Blue Casket because it's not really to do with the game itself - more a fan project. I hope that was the right thing to do becuase this is the first time I moved a thread :p
 itchythesamurai
07-21-2006, 4:22 AM
I'd just as soon not have fans try to tackle Grim Fandango. If I need a fix, I'll just fire up the original.
 I say, I say
07-21-2006, 4:39 AM
I don't understand why people need a sequel to this great game; chances are that a sequel could compromise the first game. Manny and Meche would not reappear in it, nor would many characters because they've gone on or been sprouted. There was an idea though in some other thread about a game set in the period of Grim Fandango from another character perspective? Could be an interesting project for a fan-made game.
 James Isaac
07-21-2006, 4:44 AM
There was an idea though in some other thread about a game set in the period of Grim Fandango from another character perspective? Could be an interesting project for a fan-made game.

That's what we're doing for the Grim Fandango Half-Life 2 mod :)
 Thrik
07-21-2006, 9:26 AM
Er, weren't you saying how a sequel to Grim Fandango would be a terrible idea in some other thread Nick?

And it's fine James. ;D
 Nick Virago
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Er, weren't you saying how a sequel to Grim Fandango would be a terrible idea in some other thread Nick?

Yes, it's still a terrible idea to me. Even if they made a prequel so that the popular characters could be in it, I'm gonna quote myself here:

Every title (movies AND videogames) with a 2 on it is a desperate attempt to win more money.

I just thought you guys should know, since there are a lot of fans here who would like to see a sequel. Hey! since the only possible sequel for this game will be fan-made (if you check lucasarts.com there isn't even a link to GF) it would be a good idea if everyone gave their idea of a good STORY for the sequel (screw the graphics and the music, this is what makes a game good, if someone actually finds a story that suits "Grim Fandango 2", I'm gonna be very surprised).
 VampireNaomi
07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Every title (movies AND videogames) with a 2 on it is a desperate attempt to win more money.

So, why do you think the originals are made? I doubt people at LucasArts thought, "Wow, this is a really stunning idea! Who cares how much it sells as long as we get to express out artistic vision?" EVERY movie and game's main purpose is to make money.

The Gabriel Knight sequels were good, Broken Sword sequels were good, The Godfather sequels were good (I even like the third), and so on. Just because something is a sequel doesn't automatically make it bad.
 Thrik
07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it's certainly the case with a lot of publishers, but not all sequels are bad and desperate. For example, many people consider Monkey Island 2 the best in the series by far, and Half-Life 2 is an absolute belter of a game. Plus VampireNaomi's examples, plus the other games out there with top-notch sequels.

Money is of course the primary incentive for any publisher when it comes to approving a game, sequel or otherwise, but it's really the developers that are responsible for whether the game itself is good or bad. If a game isn't a labour of love, it'll probably show.
 Du Man
08-03-2006, 9:43 PM
for the story of Grim Fandango, yeah, you can't make a sequal. that's like try to make a sequal out of Hamlet, to many people are already dead. then again...

any way, i've been waiting FOREVER for Light Houses 4 part to The Land of the Dead (can't spell the spanaish), and I would certainly get any game that takes place in the environment of Grim Fandango, it's just creating the same great characters and the hilarious dialogue that would be the challange.

But hey, i'm sure there are enough dead jokes out there...
 Nick Virago
08-06-2006, 1:12 AM
So, why do you think the originals are made? I doubt people at LucasArts thought, "Wow, this is a really stunning idea! Who cares how much it sells as long as we get to express out artistic vision?" EVERY movie and game's main purpose is to make money.

The Gabriel Knight sequels were good, Broken Sword sequels were good, The Godfather sequels were good (I even like the third), and so on. Just because something is a sequel doesn't automatically make it bad.

When the originals are made, they HAVE to be creative, they HAVE to get stunning ideas if they want to make a cent with them. But when they make a sequel, they don't, since people will just say: "oh, manny calavera is back in GRIM FANDANGO 2: ZOMBIE ATTACK! since the first one was so damn good i'm gonna go buy this one right now!!!"

do you get my point?
 VampireNaomi
08-06-2006, 9:36 AM
Yes and no. That may be true with some sequels, but to say that all of them are uncreative, desperate attempts to make more money is garbage. Good sequels exist and sometimes something is meant to have more than one part. Even if they aren't, it doesn't mean that a second (or third, or fourth) part are going to be bad. Believe it or not, but there are people who can create more than one good story with the same characters and ideas.
 Thrik
08-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah I think you're getting a bit mixed up here Nick.

It's the publishers who have all the money counters, and they're the ones who are responsible for saying "The first sold like crazy, so let's make another!".

The developers are the ones who actually make the game and get paid roughly the same whether it succeeds or fails, so whether or not the game is a true labour of love is completely up to them and how motivated they are.

Developers usually aren't random guys who don't give a damn. They're people whose living is making games, and like anybody they want to do something they can be proud of. It's not in their interests to spend a year or two making a cack game; the only reason this happens is if the developers are given a really lame project, which does happen sometimes and is the only way for a studio to get assigned some juicier projects later on.

Try to remember that you're talking about people and not robots here, heh.
 Nick Virago
08-06-2006, 5:51 PM
personally, I think monkey island 2, 3 & 4 were good/average and no near as good as The Secret of MI. but then again, this is just my opinion, some people think mi2 was actually the best of the series
 Thrik
08-06-2006, 6:17 PM
You could be right there, but don't forget that the games industry has changed almost infinitely in the 16 years since since then. I was talking about the current state of things. ;)
 Shuz
08-07-2006, 6:50 AM
OT but can I ask where you got your avatar pic Thrik?
 Thrik
08-07-2006, 1:06 PM
 coat check girl
08-16-2006, 9:40 AM
I would be pretty hard to make a sequel wouldn't it? I mean the last bit of GF is Manny & Meche on the train. All the bad guys are dead or gone, so what would it be about?
 Smon
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I would be pretty hard to make a sequel wouldn't it? I mean the last bit of GF is Manny & Meche on the train. All the bad guys are dead or gone, so what would it be about?
...Glottis maybe?
 VampireNaomi
08-16-2006, 1:54 PM
Or Eva. I'd actually love to see a sequel about Eva and the LSA.
 Shuz
12-07-2006, 9:04 PM
Yes so would I - a hard-boiled, film noir epic set on the mean streets of El Marrow.
 itchythesamurai
12-08-2006, 8:44 PM
A sequel might sell if it's an FPS with skeletons blasting each other in state of the art graphics. Probably have to nix the flowers concept though to appeal to the testosterone-filled gaming community.
 Valkian
12-30-2006, 3:59 PM
I think I've never posted on the Grim forums, and I love Grim Fandango (so very much).

And sorry if this comes a bit late, but I wanted to give my points on why it wouldn't be such a good idea to make a sequel (or prequel....or a spin off for that matter).

I totally agree that sequels are not necesarily bad (I like more Toy Story 2 than the first one. And Home Alone 2? Simply brilliant). Anyway, a Grim sequel beign a bad idea has nothing to do with the sequels issue (from my point of view).
It has a lot more to do with the fact of trying to continue or "expanding" a story that was conceived in such a way that would be ruined if exploded in those ways.

I think one of the greatest things Tim Schafer and his team achieved is the sense of mystery and uncertainty mood it's weaven beneath the story. We, for example, know very little about everybody's life when they where in the world of the living. We don't know what Manny has done in his life to be paying it in the land of the dead. And I think that's cool, not knowing that allows you (the player) to try to imagine how his previous life was and such things. Also, not knowing that is perhaps a way of driving your attention to what matters most in the story, the events that occured, the corruption and all of this subjects on which you can think about.

So, for me, the story begins and finishes in the perfect moment. And trying to explore the afters and befores with other than our own imaginations...well...I think it rather spoils things.

And basically that's why I think it wouldn't be such a good idea. Not to mention that Tim wouldn't be involved....and god only knows how an unexperienced writer and designer could ruin a brilliant story.
 shadow_judge
01-06-2007, 4:44 AM
Hmmm, I used this engine before, but it's mostly for:

1. 2D Games
2. Low resolution games

How about Wintermute Engine Development Kit ?
 unlife
01-12-2007, 2:46 PM
Sequels are good. But it depends. Usualy the sequels rely more on graphics, game play and such. People at gaming indistrys never know that people like PLOT more then gameplay
 Orphic Okapi
03-30-2007, 1:32 PM
I actually tend to like sequels, but in the case of GF, I just don't think it would be possible. The story is great as it is, and any further exploration would make it lose the sense of mystery.

On the other hand, I think it would be cool to see GF ported to some consoles, notably the DS.
 CiceroX
04-06-2007, 1:21 AM
Actually if you wish, just buy a Flashcard for you DS, so you can play downloaded games. Then dload ScummVM DS and then you can play Lucas Arts adventure games along with Sierra titles on your DS using your touchscreen (yes the touchscreen works as a mouse).

I have Indiana Jones and TFOA, Sam & Max and Monkey Island 1&2...

Supposedly you can even put Monkey island 3 and Broken sword 2 there, but not Grim Fandango :/
 Samnmax221
04-06-2007, 1:32 AM
COMI, Full Throttle, and The Dig cannot be put on your DS, there isn't enough RAM.
 urluckyday
04-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Actually if you wish, just buy a Flashcard for you DS, so you can play downloaded games. Then dload ScummVM DS and then you can play Lucas Arts adventure games along with Sierra titles on your DS using your touchscreen (yes the touchscreen works as a mouse).

I have Indiana Jones and TFOA, Sam & Max and Monkey Island 1&2...

Supposedly you can even put Monkey island 3 and Broken sword 2 there, but not Grim Fandango :/

Do you have to get a certain "adapter" to put the flash card in, or can you just use the DS slot directly?
 DeadYorick
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I actually tend to like sequels, but in the case of GF, I just don't think it would be possible. The story is great as it is, and any further exploration would make it lose the sense of mystery.

On the other hand, I think it would be cool to see GF ported to some consoles, notably the DS.

Yeah GF went with a big and very good ending since Manny and Meche went through the tunnel. But it just ended the story there. When games do that I really would prefer a remake instead of a sequel. So that game creators can put in easter eggs and other small plot points to include more to the story
 stewlil
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
But Comeone a sequel with the characters who were left behind would rock.. face it..
 Valkian
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
But Comeone a sequel with the characters who were left behind would rock.. face it..
errr......NO, it wouldn't.
 Torque
09-15-2007, 2:08 PM
Hey... wait! Keep those pitchforks away from me!!! I'm telling the truth!
Ok, LucasArts has nothing to do with this, allow me to explain:

Have you ever heard of the Adventure Game Studio? It's a free engine used to create adventure games (duh!) with no need of knowing anything about programming. Fan-made sequels to Sam & Max or Zak McKracken have been made with this engine, and they were damn good since you can actually rip the sprites from another games (plus they had good stories).
Now, I checked the forums recently and there is some user interested in creating "Grim Fandango 2". It might take some time since you can only create 2d games with that engine (there are other engines to create 3d games, but they are far more complicated).
For further information, go to bigbluecup.com, then go to the forums and search for "Grim Fandango".

Keep your hopes (and your shotguns) down. This is only a possibility.

Well, seeing as how it was posted in 2004 and still no update, I think it's dead.

I can't say I liked his sequel idea. It takes an enormous amount of the so-called "suspension of disbelief" to accept stuff like "Manny comes back to the Land of the Dead". It's blatantly inconsistent. Once you're in the Ninth Underworld, you're there forever. No going back, and certainly not in a way you could ever interact with it as if you never left. It really cheapens the idea of Eternal Rest.

You know what kind of GF2 I'd like to see? The simple 4 year journey of a soul who didn't earn anything better than a walking stick. That's it. No Manny, no Meche, no nonsense like old sprouted characters coming back to life, maybe a short part where Glottis is featured but that's it.
 Du Man
09-15-2007, 3:13 PM
Agree, don't mind a sequal, but it must have different characters and a new original plot. Use those two requirements as a base line, then work up from there.

A good way to come up with a new plot would be to watch other famous noir films not already referred to in GF1
 stewlil
09-16-2007, 1:04 PM
errr......NO, it wouldn't.

errr.. WHY? Wouldn't it?

-Stew
Page: 1 of 1