Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why it sucks being Nightlight

Page: 1 of 1
 MJ
07-18-2006, 2:36 AM
I sometimes wonder what it would be like if my website were a real person. And really, I think it would kinda suck. There's a few reasons why:

To start with, there's rarely anything new going on. Sure, occassionally there's a bit of a change to the landscape... but push comes to shove, there's nothing.

No one ever visits you.

No one recognises you for what you are! Don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the little corner of LFN I've been given, but do you know how much of a drag it is to be on the Grim Fandango Network when your website has nothing really to do with Grim Fandango? People actually start REACHING for a link... and the one they come up with is that Tierra de los Muertos and Grim Fandango both have skeletons in them.

Suddenly, there are claims that Tierra de los Muertos is based on Grim Fandango. That's like saying that the Corpse Bride is based on Nightmare Before Christmas. And suddenly a world I've created entirely independently, a book I've written the first draft of, countless characters I've come up with... come off as some dodgy kind of advanced fan fiction of a game which while good, is long dead.

I read this in a link to my website.
Nightlight Productions are well known for their great radio show based on Grim Fandango, and now 3D characters based on the Grim Fandango world.

I don't think I can think of a more indirect way to say 'rip off'. It's a real insult, that's what it is. :(

Bleh. Sorry guys, that's me having a vent.

I'll be posting news up on Nightlight tonight, once I'm home from work, for the record. It will have nothing to do with Grim Fandango.
 Gabez
07-18-2006, 7:33 AM
Oops, I hope none of that is because of me... though in the past I think I've played up the Grim Fandango link just to get Mojo people interested; obviously when people hear the show they'll see that it's actually completely different. Sorry if I caused any offence.

You could talk to someone about being moved from the grimfandango.net sub-domain over to a mixnmojo.com one, though... or you could always get your own domain name so no-one would ever know. :)
 MJ
07-18-2006, 7:16 PM
Nah, you're fine. I know your reasons for doing what you do, and hey, it sucks to say that it needs to be done to get people to tune in.

I'm going to look into getting my own domain name. And yes, migrating as well, would probably help. the GFN is going to be archived soon anyway.

Who do I talk to?

Sal, we might have to change the menu. I love the bridge, but something more... neutral... like, I don't know, a lamp post... might be appropriate.
 Gabez
07-18-2006, 8:30 PM
Thrik would be a good person... and if he isn't then he'd know who is.
 MJ
07-19-2006, 1:46 AM
Thrik WAS a good person to talk to. It appears that Nightlight might be moving, chaps.
 B00
07-19-2006, 3:27 PM
If you need webspace, send me a pm.
 MJ
07-19-2006, 6:48 PM
I'm fine for webspace, B00. Despite how this thread comes off as, I actually LIKE Nightlight being part of the umbrella that it's under. It just feels a tad out of place on GFN, especially considering GFN is going to enter archive mode and everything.

Thanks anyway.
Page: 1 of 1