Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need Help Making Mods and Cheats Work For KOTOR2!

Page: 1 of 1
 Sithdisiple666
07-14-2006, 3:15 PM
Well, I am an owner of KOTOR2 for the PC and can't figure out how to work mods and the cheats. I have no idea how to work the mods even from the readmes but I tried to get the cheats to work. I got a text editor and opened the swkotor2.ini file and scrolled down to game options and typed EnableCheats=1 and then tried to enter a cheat and it didn't work. I pressed ~ giveitem( ) and It didn't work. I also tried to set my stat level and that failed also. Please give me some tips on making mods work and enableing cheats Thank You!!!
 ChAiNz.2da
07-14-2006, 3:22 PM
Since it concerns mods and modding in general, I've moved this thread here to Holowan Labs...

We modders tend to linger in here quite a bit :D

Welcome to the Forums! :waive1:

While you're waiting on some answers, you may want to check out this thread:

How to install mods (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143422)

It might just be what you're looking for ;)
 darthrevanrlz
07-14-2006, 3:54 PM
mmm.

You do know there's a blank space between giveitem & whatever, right?

Mix-ups with giveitem often have to do with typos. Trust me on this one... I've been there ;)

ie. (press ~)giveitem w_brifle_10(press enter)

*** if you want custom items, make sure they're in the TSL override folder (if there isn't one, create it) ***

As for stats...

ie. (press ~)setwisdom 50(press enter)

*** BTW, codes for all items/functions should be on gamefaqs.com on .txt form...

This is all in-game cheat, though. No need for mods. Gets a little more complicated if you want it to be more *legit*.

And, you'll have to give specifics if you want an answer different than "check the tutorials" ;)

Have fun and welcome :D
 Jackel
07-14-2006, 4:02 PM
An easier way to cheat then trying to type the cheats correctly in the invisible console is to download KSE (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php). This works for both K1 and K2 allowing you to adjust your attributes, money, experience, items etc to your liking. And as a bonus you wont have "CHEATER" stamped over oyur save game where you used cheat codes.
 Sithdisiple666
07-15-2006, 9:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys! you helped me alot cheats worked but mods still confuse me... I tried to save a mod in the KOTOR 2 Override folder and it said I didn't have permission to save in that folder. Suggestions?
 jonathan7
07-15-2006, 9:23 AM
you want to save mods you download in a seperate folder then unzip them into the overide directory
 ChAiNz.2da
07-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I tried to save a mod in the KOTOR 2 Override folder and it said I didn't have permission to save in that folder. Suggestions?
It sounds like you're not logged into Windows (I'm assuming) with an account that has read/write priveleges...

Are you logged on (your computer) as an administrator?
 Sithdisiple666
07-15-2006, 4:08 PM
Yes I am an Administrator but Jonathan said I need to unzip them to there I tried to save the directly to the fold that could be it..

Edit: I am still open to suggestions though... since PC Game Mods is down any one know any good KOTOR 2 mod sites?

Edit2: dAMN i HATE ziPPED FOLDERS i TRIED TO EXTRACT THE MODS INTO OVVERIDE FOLDER IN kotor 2 AND IT SAID IT NEEDS A PASSWORD WHATS UP WITH THAT? Any one please any one help me! and if you know any websites with kool KOTOR 2 mods tell me also
 woogiee
07-15-2006, 5:03 PM
Instead of triple posting just edit your post with the edit bottom on the bottom right of the post.

As far as passwords on the zip files I dont know what to tell you. I've never come across a mod that required one to unzip, and I' thing the author of the mod would have given the password in the mod description. So you'd have to contact the author about that.

Abou where to find mods look in this thread: Where can I find mods (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143413)
 Darkkender
07-15-2006, 6:38 PM
The issue with passwords is a system priveleges issue. You likely have your installation setup where you can't throw anything into the folder. Such as having it set to read-only. That or your trying to install to the DVD or CD-ROM by accident.
 Sithdisiple666
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Well I have one question about unzipping stuff. I right clicked on the mod I downladed and It diddn't say "unzip" so I tried extracing the file and copying and pasting it but it wouldn't let me do it. It said I couldn't paste into a CD ROM Drive or something. I am so confused!

I thought I Just figured It out but I was wrong. I tried to change the override folder and make it not read only but it said "acess denied" It is weird! Do I have to Uninstall and Install the game again and somehow make it not read only?
 Darkkender
07-17-2006, 11:23 AM
You need to take a good look at your installation path for the game. Because your biggest Red-Flag is mantioned in your last post. It said I couldn't paste into a CD ROM Drive or something Your trying to copy or extract the zip file to the games CD-ROM even if you have a CD R/W or DVD R/W the games CD/DVD is copy protected and your computer is telling you to "Wake up and pay attention you can't put these here."
 Darth Webb
07-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Well I have one question about unzipping stuff. I right clicked on the mod I downladed and It diddn't say "unzip" so I tried extracing the file and copying and pasting it but it wouldn't let me do it. It said I couldn't paste into a CD ROM Drive or something. I am so confused!

I thought I Just figured It out but I was wrong. I tried to change the override folder and make it not read only but it said "acess denied" It is weird! Do I have to Uninstall and Install the game again and somehow make it not read only?

make a folder in C:\program files\lucasarts\SWKotR2 called mods then open C:\program files\lucasarts\SWKotR2\mods and make a new folder with the name of the Mod then copy your zip files into this folder. Once you do that it is a simple matter of unzipping your file and coping the relavant files to you C:\program files\lucasarts\SWKotR2\override folder. This is assuming that you used the defalt location for installing your game.
 jonathan7
07-17-2006, 3:02 PM
hmmmm, what kind of file type is the download... for example if it is a .rar file you cannot use a utility such as winzip to unzip it, you would need win rar.

(a file type is the extension, for example starwarsmod.zip is a winzip file, where as starwarsmod.rar would be a win rar file, quite a few of the mods are in .rar format)
if it is a .rar file, you will need to find and download a utility that can open .rar files if you dont have one already.

it does sound more like you are trying to write to the cd or a permissions issue, if you have windows, rightclick on the override folder and look at the bottom of the dialog box that appears, if read only has a tick in it, uncheck it.

other than that i havent got any other ideas
 Arбtoeldar
07-17-2006, 8:28 PM
hmmmm, what kind of file type is the download... for example if it is a .rar file you cannot use a utility such as winzip to unzip it, you would need win rar.

(a file type is the extension, for example starwarsmod.zip is a winzip file, where as starwarsmod.rar would be a win rar file, quite a few of the mods are in .rar format)
if it is a .rar file, you will need to find and download a utility that can open .rar files if you dont have one already.

it does sound more like you are trying to write to the cd or a permissions issue, if you have windows, rightclick on the override folder and look at the bottom of the dialog box that appears, if read only has a tick in it, uncheck it.

other than that i havent got any other ideas

WinRAR will open almost anything that is compressed.
 jonathan7
07-17-2006, 8:38 PM
WinRAR will open almost anything that is compressed.

winzip wont though ;) too be honest i havent used win rar or winzip for ages, ive got a program called winace which will open anything... and i mean anything, i must confess ive forgotten exactly wat win rar can and cant do, i never liked the original interface, i always lost track of what i was doing, so went with winace and never had a problem with it :)
 Sithdisiple666
09-08-2006, 6:04 PM
Sorry I was on vaction and didin'd get to the forums for a while.

I just uninstalled the game and I am gonna try installing it again does any one know if you can like switch from read only to un-read and write?
 Addlcove
09-08-2006, 7:42 PM
Sithdis etc...

make sure you are NOT, that is NOT, trying to unpack the files onto your CD/DVD, verify that the path you are unpacking to is one that is a harddisk

e.g. "C:\star wars\kotor\override" instead of "D:\star wars\kotor\override" as D is your default CD-rom driveletter
 Darkkender
09-09-2006, 12:28 AM
To answer the question about the read only status. Right-Click the file or folder containing the files whose read-only status you are trying to change or verify. You'll see a menu item properties choose this option. You will get a information screen that will pop-up unclick the checkbox for read-only if there is a check there and click "OK".
 Sithdisiple666
09-09-2006, 7:16 AM
Yes! that is exactly what I did wrong! I saved is in the D: I need to save it in C: ! I am going to uninstall the game right now

Could some one please walk me through the setup it says it can't find the specified path when I tried to save it on C:/ and C:/lucasarts/files/KOTOR I need help please!

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE HECK TO DO THIS!!!!! I HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH MODS BEFORE!!!! I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST "REAL PC GAME AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!" HELP!!
Page: 1 of 1