Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Geforce 7900GTX problems

Page: 1 of 1
 Sebastiaan
07-14-2006, 3:59 AM
I 'm experiencing a huge problem during Ground combat. It usually start with graphical glitches, or seqental freezes, but eventually all graphics get mesed up or the whole systems start to hang.
While my system can run the Strategically and space combat at maximum graphic settings (1600x1200 + everything maxed) I can't get it to work during ground battles. Although the game has a Minimum requirement, I'm starting to wonder if this game also has a maximum requirements.
my system has the following specs: 3800+ Athlon, 7900GTX Geforce, 1024MB DDR. This should be enough, right, wrong

I already tried the following stratagies to solve the problem:
- installed and tested all EaW patch seperatly
- killed all unnecessary processes
- installed several graphic drivers
- installed latest motherboard bios
- installed latest DirectX 9c
- under clocked processor + graphics cards
- checked temperature motherboard processor/video card + temperature
- checked DirectX with dxdiag
- succesfully runned several graphical benchmark tools
- succesfully ran several strestest tools for several hours without any problems

The only thing which seems to have some result is the run the game at minimum graphics durring play but this really hurts my eyes.

Anybody have a clue what I have forgot? I really want to play this game as it should, just like all other games I played so far without any technical problems (including Oblivion, RTW, Doom3, Silent Hunter 3)
 DarthMaulUK
07-14-2006, 4:45 AM
Maybe try the game on a lower res setting. Like 1024 for example. With your graphics card, did you upgrade it and put the older drivers over the new ones? Sometimes, only sometimes, the current forceware drivers can cause problems and its best to totally uninstall the old drivers first, then install the new ones fresh.

DMUK
 Sebastiaan
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, I already did that. I'm afraid I have to pull the final rabit out of the hat, which is to reinstall windows.
 DarthMaulUK
07-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I wouldnt go as far as that. Sometimes it can be something really small. Try playing with the graphics on a lower setting to see how you get on. You dont mention how much power your power unit has as this *could* be an issue as EaW does place alot of demand on the PC.

I have a 2.6 AMD FX55 2GB ram, GT6800 256 MB SLi and I struggle after a few hours of play - but I do have a beast of a power unit (cost like Ј60).

DMUK
 Det. Bart Lasiter
07-16-2006, 5:43 PM
I've got twin 7800 GTXs in SLI, an FX-55, and 4 GB of DDR-400 RAM at a latency of 2 and I still get a little lag at 1280x720 @ max settings. With one 7900 GTX I'd never try to play an RTS at that high a resolution with maxed out settings. As DMUK suggested, you could try switching to a lower resolution, or you could turn down AA or turn it off completely.
 Sebastiaan
07-18-2006, 5:44 AM
It appears that The game now works acceptably at maximum settings for most planets except when it encounters wookies. For some inexplicable reason my computer doesn't like wookies (encountered in the training missions). Those furballs must be the rebellion secret weapon or something.
Man I realy hate it when chewbakka grabs my AT-AT and kills my troops ;)
 Sebastiaan
08-07-2006, 8:50 AM
Hey,

i read on the forum that your having the same problem as i do. I have a 7900GT graphics card and when i set all graphical details to high my screen f***s up and freezes eventually then i have to reboot my system.

Have you found a solution? Maybe we can help each other out!

Kind regards,
Franq

Well, as I said, I basicly tried everthing (including complete reinstaltion). but nothing satified my test. My test consisted of playing the Tutorial game. For some reason (must be those damn wookies) the game start acting weird. The sollution the the problem may sound a bit weird. If you can't pass the test , change the test. The practicly means that I switch back my graphics whenever I encounter graphic problems and switch back to full after finishing the map. This may sound like a hassle but the problem only occurs at 5% of all planets. This effectively means you can play allmost all maps on highest detail level except from 1 or 2 which you play at lowest detail level. In other words, try to live with it.

I hope this helps.
Page: 1 of 1