Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can't access pcgamemods.com

Page: 2 of 3
 Jackel
07-14-2006, 1:24 PM
What would be good is that you guys open up a thread here, which asks the question: 1) Who wants their mods over at FileFront removed? After you have a list of people, I would respect them and take them off. That way, you are showing us that File Front has changed policy. It will also win more people over.
Someone from there did this a while back, few months at least and were pretty quick in taking down mods as far as I recall so most (if not all) that are up now should be ones put there but their modders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its kinda sad to see pcgamemods.com go but I thankfully have a back up of all my mods for K1 (that I actually released). I nearly didn't. Built a new comp and the drive with the mods on it decided to corrupt itself completely. Thankfully I was able to get all the files off it. I might make them in to one package, upgrade them a bit and make them compatible with stoffes patcher so they are more compatible with other mods.
 Revnant
07-14-2006, 1:30 PM
I'm going to compile a list of the mods that I have in my archives for everybody. It will be listed by modder, maybe by mod type as well. It will be a basic shopping list if you will. If people want to aide me once I post it in contacting the modders who appear there to advise them of our likely PCGM loss it would be apreciated.
I'll try to help you out to. Also you guys could just make a website of your own to put all your mods in. Although I dont think some one would a highly popular website to go down or atleast I hope. Also where will it be? In here or different thread?
 mjpb3
07-14-2006, 2:09 PM
I had to re-pack every mod with 7Zip instead of WinRar, saved a ton of space, but it will require people to have 7Zip to extract the files.
RedHawke, just thought you'd like to know that Winrar unpacks 7zip files. I've used it on kristykistic's 7zip files and it works fine for me. ;)
 Vandrak
07-14-2006, 2:47 PM
I'll try to help you out to. Also you guys could just make a website of your own to put all your mods in. Although I dont think some one would a highly popular website to go down or atleast I hope. Also where will it be? In here or different thread?

Making a website is not just that simple, free webspace wont hold many mods at all, and webspace can be pretty expensive. But don't worry if it is confirmed pcgm is down you'll find out about it ;)
 Jeff
07-14-2006, 2:49 PM
I'm going to be uploading all my mods to kotorfiles now that PCGM is down and there is a whole new staff over there. I think they've changed their ways :)
 mjpb3
07-14-2006, 2:50 PM
... and webspace can be pretty expensive.
Not necessarily. I started my own site and I only pay 9.95 (US) a month. And I've got TONS of space :thumbsup:
 Joris1
07-14-2006, 2:58 PM
Puh, Its good that I downloaded the best mods some month ago! But I hope Sergio will fx all problems now!
 Inyri
07-14-2006, 2:59 PM
Not necessarily. I started my own site and I only pay 9.95 (US) a month. And I've got TONS of space Well for some people $9.95 is expensive, especially for younger authors who either don't have a job, don't have a credit card, or both. I think many of the established authors here (and I'd guess you yourself) are a bit more self-sufficient financially than your average game modder :).

Again, glad to see you around Inryi and I look forward to further communications with you guys and gals over at FF. Shem has my trust, and I'll be holding him to it.. as I'm sure (hopefully) he's holding me to mine... heheheI'm sure you won't regret placing your trust in Shem. In the time I've known him, rather short as it may be, he's really proven to be a great modder, a great guy, and a responsible member of our team.

Oh yes, and the Y comes before the R ;).

DOH! :o ~ ChAiNz.2da
 Shem
07-14-2006, 3:01 PM
I'm going to be uploading all my mods to kotorfiles now that PCGM is down and there is a whole new staff over there. I think they've changed their ways :)I just reviewed the two mods you sent in over there today and uploaded them for ya! :D
 mjpb3
07-14-2006, 3:07 PM
Well for some people $9.95 is expensive, especially for younger authors who either don't have a job, don't have a credit card, or both. I think many of the established authors here (and I'd guess you yourself) are a bit more self-sufficient financially than your average game modder :).
True true... but it wouldn't hurt for folks who CAN afford it to look into maybe getting their own site and not having to rely on an "outside" modding site for their mod hosting.

Plus, you can control how they are presented... etc... ;)
 Vandrak
07-14-2006, 3:24 PM
Not necessarily. I started my own site and I only pay 9.95 (US) a month. And I've got TONS of space :thumbsup:

About a year ago I had a website with about 5 gig of storage, and although I can't remember the exact price it was pretty expensive.

The best deal I have seen was up to 10 gig for free as long as you had a certain amount of hits and were willing to display 1 ad, anyway if anybody is wanting to start a site, pm me and I’ll try to find it.
 Inyri
07-14-2006, 4:18 PM
True true... but it wouldn't hurt for folks who CAN afford it to look into maybe getting their own site and not having to rely on an "outside" modding site for their mod hosting.

Plus, you can control how they are presented... etc... ;)I know exactly what you mean. I'd love to host my mods myself, but I'm far too lazy (coding HTML gives me a headache) and poor to buy webspace. I do like having my mods hosted on at least two services, although right now I don't because the last thing I submitted to LucasFiles still hasn't been put up, but I don't care enough about it to look into it further as I've still got a hard copy. I just think it's safer to be hosted in at least two places. That way you're prepared for anything... such as PCGM dying like this :p.

I should really heed my own advice though I think.

DOH! ~ ChAiNz.2daThank you dear ;)
 Darkkender
07-14-2006, 4:33 PM
About a year ago I had a website with about 5 gig of storage, and although I can't remember the exact price it was pretty expensive.

The best deal I have seen was up to 10 gig for free as long as you had a certain amount of hits and were willing to display 1 ad, anyway if anybody is wanting to start a site, pm me and I’ll try to find it.

I found a online file storage location yesterday that provides 25GB free as there baseline. You can download up to 100MB a month. The site is called StreamLoad. I'm certain I can pretty well upload everything into a repository there and then send PM links as needed.
 Vandrak
07-14-2006, 5:31 PM
I found a online file storage location yesterday that provides 25GB free as there baseline. You can download up to 100MB a month. The site is called StreamLoad. I'm certain I can pretty well upload everything into a repository there and then send PM links as needed.

That is quite a bit of space although every free hosts has draw backs like the 100 MB download limit.

BTW, I just did a search and found that hosting site -http://www.hostingzero.com)

hopefully pcgm will come back up but just in case at least we have other options beside lucasfiles and Kotormods
 Mario1
07-14-2006, 6:21 PM
Oh great now where am I going to download the mods I need?! I was just about to download some mods and It got down! :cry8:

I hope they fix it with ALL of the old mods.
 Revnant
07-14-2006, 7:59 PM
When I just went to the page not long ago it said that is was like under going some maintenence(I think thats what it said. Then when I clicked on it again I got what it said before. So I think its being updated or just needs to work something out like trying to get a virus out or something like that.
 Vandrak
07-14-2006, 8:50 PM
When I just went to the page not long ago it said that is was like under going some maintenence(I think thats what it said. Then when I clicked on it again I got what it said before. So I think its being updated or just needs to work something out like trying to get a virus out or something like that.

Hmm, I am not getting that, I am getting the same errors as before.
 Revnant
07-14-2006, 9:32 PM
I said just once and i'll still getting the same one now as everyone else.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-14-2006, 9:48 PM
I would like to remind everyone that below is a list of modders websites, so look there before asking darkkender or anyone else that way we can reduce the amount of posts, pm's, and everything because i'm sure as time goes on if pcgm doesn't come back almost everyone will be asking for mods :P

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143413)
^^^
QFE

For those of you who are worried over mod availability, check the link quoted above.

Yeah we realize it's not a perfect fix, but I'd say most of the mods you're looking for will be located at the other public sites or the modder's personal sites.

Granted it's not all bundled up in one site and a little legwork might be involved, but since none of us know "for sure" PCGM is going the way of the Do-Do.. it's best we all start preparing for a worse case scenario.

As always, the Holowan Modders (especially Darkkender) has offered their services to help locate particular mods you may be searching for, however everyone must realize that in no way is LFnet associated with PCGM and it's not really something we're responsible for ;) (so please don't kill Darkkender's or other user's PM box... hehehe)...

I would ask though in the meantime that if you ARE looking for a particular mod and haven't had any luck locating it (them).. please make your request in the Modding Request Forum so that we can keep track of everything and that it doesn't get lost in this thread.

Thanks gang, and remember, we're all in the same boat so the more we can pool our resources... the better we're going to 'survive' this pseudo-emergency.. hehehe

Modding (and Mods) Request Forum:
http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635)

===============================

If you are a modder, have a personal site... and it's not located in the quoted link... please let one of the moderators know so that we can add it ;)
 Shem
07-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I will say this, no matter what any of you fellow modders out there decide, just decide a place to host your mods. Either it be FileFront, or LucasFiles (or whatever else is availible) if you don't have the web space. It really doesn't matter in the long run where you choose to do it, as long as you choose a place to help those who are looking for mods to enhance their game and get a new excitement about playing these wonderful games. We as a modding community are the reason why these games are having a lasting itch to play.
 RedHawke
07-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Anytime man, and really, it's no trouble at all if you need a home for those other 4...
Incoming PM alert! :D

RedHawke, just thought you'd like to know that Winrar unpacks 7zip files. I've used it on kristykistic's 7zip files and it works fine for me. ;)
What version of WinRAR do you have?

Mine won't unpack 7Zip files... but that's good to know.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Incoming PM alert! :D ~ whooosh ~ *boink* hehehe...
What version of WinRAR do you have?

Mine won't unpack 7Zip files... but that's good to know.
I think versions from 3.3 (or .4) does... I currently have 3.51 which will unpack them (won't create 7-zip however)
 mjpb3
07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
^^^ Yup, what Chainz wrote. I have version 3.50 and it unpacks 7zip fine, but again, Winrar won't make them ;)
 jonathan7
07-15-2006, 12:58 AM
With regards unzipping files, ive got a great german written bit of software which will unpack pretty much anything (at least ive not come across any file type it cant unzip) it was on a 30 day trial.... when i downloaded it last year ;) it still works tho! so if anyone wants me to send them the installation files for it, im sure i can find its installer rattling around on my harddrive somewhere!
 RedHawke
07-15-2006, 2:03 AM
I think versions from 3.3 (or .4) does... I currently have 3.51 which will unpack them (won't create 7-zip however)
That would explain it then, I have 3.2.
 ABCIMe123
07-15-2006, 2:04 AM

Proof?
 Revnant
07-15-2006, 2:31 AM
Sorry to say I cant since it wont appear again but believe what you want it doesnt matter to me. I also found a blog from the owner that my explain a few things. PM me with you would like a link.

Edit:Now I dont think that its from the owner. Does anyone know the owners email so I can ask him?
 ChAiNz.2da
07-15-2006, 2:37 AM
That would be great, assuming you have anything from me.... Since I don't have access to my own mods. :p
Well I know I have your Upgrading DL44 mod, your "Gun Models/All Guns" Mod for both TSL & KotOR & the Onderon Museum :)

Can you think of any others? I'm sifting through several hundred mods in my archives and those are the ones I know are definitely yours.. but looking at filenames is like decoding heiroglyphs :xp:
 T7nowhere
07-15-2006, 3:17 AM
I have Sergio's MSN address if anyone wants to try contacting him. I don't know whether he still uses it, though.

I have it too(plus half a dozen email addies and even what one site says is his phone number), I even saw him online once about 4 months ago But I didn't get a responce to my IM's.

I'm not at all optimistic about the site returning

It's generous of you to do that DK, but if there is an email included with a mod that you have archived it's best to contact the author and let them decide what to do about it. Just remember it is not your responsibilty to locate the mods or to send them out to people.

I'm sifting through several hundred mods in my archives and those are the ones I know are definitely yours.. but looking at filenames is like decoding heiroglyphs :xp:

Heh, That's so true, thats why if your an organization freak like me you make new folders for the mod in the authors name and keep them all isolated. unfortunately for me though, I haven't really dl'd anyones mods for about a year.

;) To save myself time for reinstalls I have my K1 & K2 Override folders backed up on a dvd-rw.

Who know's though PCGM might be back up, But don't hold your breath. ;)

I won't be uploading my mods to Kotorfiles anytime soon, but that has nothing to do with the new managment of the site, I was also thinking of putting my files up on Lucasfiles , but at this time I just don't have the inclination to do so at this time. However my personal site will also be shut down At the end of the month, so I will probably upload them to both of those sites in a couple months(once the waters are smooth agian).

I wouldn't worry about my files on Kotorfiles anymore, just for the simple fact that the managment would be crazy to try anything as shifty as the original management :jester1:
 Darkkender
07-15-2006, 1:38 PM
Well I know I have your Upgrading DL44 mod, your "Gun Models/All Guns" Mod for both TSL & KotOR & the Onderon Museum :)

Can you think of any others? I'm sifting through several hundred mods in my archives and those are the ones I know are definitely yours.. but looking at filenames is like decoding heiroglyphs :xp:

Well if your looking at Mono's archives you'll never know there his. He never includes a readme and never provides a descriptive name to say what the archive contains. :p I learned this long ago. This is why when I started to download mods again a while back after losing my HD and rebuilding my database I created a folder for every modder who's mods I downloaded. That way I have some semblance of organization. That and I've backed 85% of them up to DVD. the other 15% are newer repositories.

It's generous of you to do that DK, but if there is an email included with a mod that you have archived it's best to contact the author and let them decide what to do about it. Just remember it is not your responsibilty to locate the mods or to send them out to people.

I have no intention of publically releasing these mods. I'm using the same method others have always used that has been accepted in the past. If a modder's mods aren't available because a site has gone down in the past many of the veterans of the community have uploaded privately to there own sites and sent PM links for downloads. However I was collecting the emails out of readme's for mods that were at PCGM to send out an anouncement to those modders who's mods are there but are not active in the community anymore. I am also cross referencing the mods to see if they have alternate download sites.

When I complete my listing of mods I will post it in HTML format from my website that will either direct a person to contact the mods author, post a mod request, or download from there alternate download locations.

I would like to make a correction to something I stated in an earlier post. That is that I have a far greater number of K2 mods than K1 mods. So for those looking for K1 mods you likely should begin scouring the alternate locations for downloads such as directly from modders sites.
 Mono_Giganto
07-15-2006, 1:52 PM
Well if your looking at Mono's archives you'll never know there his. He never includes a readme and never provides a descriptive name to say what the archive contains. :p I learned this long ago. This is why when I started to download mods again a while back after losing my HD and rebuilding my database I created a folder for every modder who's mods I downloaded. That way I have some semblance of organization. That and I've backed 85% of them up to DVD. the other 15% are newer repositories.

Well, that's because I only ever uploaded my mods to Pcgamemods, and I placed all of that information into the mod description. I never really bothered adding it to the archive, because 9 out of 10 people wouldn't read it anyway. Should I reacquire my own archives at some point, and choose to reupload them somewhere, I may add the information back in, now that my Pcgamemods descriptions are gone.
 Arбtoeldar
07-15-2006, 5:19 PM
This sucks but fortunately I have all of my must have mods backed up on one of my HHDs.

Does anyone have kristykistic's Gmax Helper?
 Darkkender
07-15-2006, 6:21 PM
This sucks but fortunately I have all of my must have mods backed up on one of my HHDs.

Does anyone have kristykistic's Gmax Helper?

Yeah I have it around.
 sagittae
07-15-2006, 6:43 PM
I was looking to download the "Carth Romance Fix" as well as the start-up PC "Aayla Secura" mods. Does anyone know where I can find these outside of PCGM?
 Revnant
07-15-2006, 6:49 PM
I had my friend over that knows alot about computers. He said its probly in the code for the website. Like he typed in something that we didnt mean to or erased something he didnt mean to. I take is word for it. So hopefully sergoi will fix it so we can get on it.
 Darkkender
07-15-2006, 6:53 PM
I had my friend over that knows alot about computers. He said its probly in the code for the website. Like he typed in something that we didnt mean to or erased something he didnt mean to. I take is word for it. So hopefully sergoi will fix it so we can get on it.

As I mentioned before this is a standard error when a server goes down within php. Now most companies will post a sorry this site is no longer active page after going down. This unfortunately looks like they disconnected PCGM though.
 bacara nate
07-16-2006, 4:41 PM
i like that guys idea about making a list of all the mods people want kept/moved and i think once we have made a list , the people who own the mods could stick them on lucasfiles
wot do you think?
ill make a thread to start off the list if you think i should
so just say yes or no ?
 Revnant
07-16-2006, 4:50 PM
Yeah also ask them if they dont mind to put it on other websites or give to people that wont them.
 90SK
07-16-2006, 6:24 PM
Does anyone still have the "RGB Short Robes" pack, by rgb? These (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:bCIuXT1w0IAJ:pcgamemods.com/mod/12805.html+RGB+short+robes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a).

I've been meaning to download them for a while, but now it's not possible.
 Jackel
07-16-2006, 6:34 PM
Does anyone still have the "RGB Short Robes" pack, by rgb? These (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:bCIuXT1w0IAJ:pcgamemods.com/mod/12805.html+RGB+short+robes&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a).

I've been meaning to download them for a while, but now it's not possible.
As it clearly states in the description you linked to, it can also be downloaded from RGB's website. Which he linked to at the end of the description. ie http://geocities.com/rgb_kotormods/short.htm) <--- There.
 90SK
07-16-2006, 6:38 PM
That's...new. :headbump

Thanks Jackel.
 Ael Wolfstrike
07-16-2006, 7:39 PM
I'm looking for RedHawke's Revan/Sith/Bastila Item Pack mod. There's a copy on his website but the installer, despite the name, installs the Canderous As Dark Jedi mod instead, and since PCGameMods is the only other place the file was at, I can't get it. Does anyone have this mod?
 RedHawke
07-17-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm looking for RedHawke's Revan/Sith/Bastila Item Pack mod. There's a copy on his website but the installer, despite the name, installs the Canderous As Dark Jedi mod instead, and since PCGameMods is the only other place the file was at, I can't get it. Does anyone have this mod?
:eyeraise: I just double checked it and it downloads the correct 7Zip Archive with the proper contents.
 Ael Wolfstrike
07-17-2006, 1:02 AM
:eyeraise: I just double checked it and it downloads the correct 7Zip Archive with the proper contents.

That's weird. I just tried again...If I save it to my harddrive and run it from there, it doesn't work. If I open it directly off the site, it works fine. o.O

Thanks, I think I've got it now, but that's just odd.
 ABCIMe123
07-17-2006, 2:19 PM
I think figured out how to download stuff from pcgamemods. You have to type http://ds1.pcgamemods.com/core/(number)/(filename).zip) into your address bar with the number of your mod and the filename and press enter. You can probably find the number and filename of the mod you're looking for on google or yahoo.
 EnderWiggin
07-17-2006, 2:48 PM
I think figured out how to download stuff from pcgamemods. You have to type http://ds1.pcgamemods.com/core/(number)/(filename).zip) into your address bar with the number of your mod and the filename and press enter. You can probably find the number and filename of the mod you're looking for on google or yahoo.

IT WORKS! WOAH!

You, my friend, will be remembered. I can't believe that this works!

And combined with Google's Cache-ing to find mod filenames and numbers, we have just accessed the entire mod database again!

YAY!

_EW_
 Darkkender
07-17-2006, 3:54 PM

The problem still comes from not knowing the name of the zip file or it's number entry for most people.

For example, Mono Giganto may post a mod titled Mono's big Gun mod for TSL. However the archive is mymod.zip. This sounds outlandish however Mono -some modders have done this in the past.

Edited to sound less like a bash -- Once Again my apologies my friend.
 Mono_Giganto
07-17-2006, 5:22 PM
The problem still comes from not knowing the name of the zip file or it's number entry for most people.

For example, Mono Giganto may post a mod titled Mono's big Gun mod for TSL. However the archive is mymod.zip. This sounds outlandish however Mono is known for doing this.

You know, if I'm 'known' for doing this, it's only because of the frequency with which you feel the need to inform everyone... At a certain point, it stops serving a purpose, and seems to be nothing more than an attempt at a bash. EW seems to have done alright finding filenames using Google's cache, as he stated in the post right above yours... So I'm at a loss for what other purpose your comment could serve, especially when you already made the same point in this thread.

After a while, it gets tiresome.

ChAinZ, if you could send them, that'd be great. PM a link or hop on YIM, whichever you prefer. Thanks. :)
 EnderWiggin
07-17-2006, 7:04 PM
EW seems to have done alright finding filenames using Google's cache, as he stated in the post right above yours...

Yeah, even by searching PCGameMods then the [MODNUMBER] and then either [.ZIP or .RAR] in Google returns the archive name... the and the ModNumber is found in all of the release links at the end of the URL.

_EW_
 RedHawke
07-18-2006, 12:58 AM
You know, if I'm 'known' for doing this, it's only because of the frequency with which you feel the need to inform everyone... At a certain point, it stops serving a purpose, and seems to be nothing more than an attempt at a bash. (Snip) So I'm at a loss for what other purpose your comment could serve, especially when you already made the same point in this thread.

After a while, it gets tiresome.
I agree Mono... I wouldn't like it either.

Darkkender, cut it out. Calling someone on something they did once is alright, but if you repeat it over and over it can become annoying to the other person. Like now. Ok?
Page: 2 of 3