Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need a person whos good at computers

Page: 1 of 1
 Ocelot
06-02-2006, 7:16 PM
Who can tell me the difference between an AMD processor and a Celeron or Intel Processor. Which is better in terms of gaming. What is a good MND processor.
Thanks in advance.
 Jeff
06-02-2006, 7:31 PM
Welcome to the forums Ocelot! :waive1:

AMD processors are regarded as the better processor for gaming these days. And AMDs are definitely cheaper than Intel processors. I think if you figure out the MHz of the two chips, according to an article I read, the AMD with the same speed as the P4 chip was half the price.

I think that intel chips are probably better all-around and have better structure, but a lot of gamers prefer AMD.

And I think you should avoid the Celeron overall.
 Ocelot
06-02-2006, 7:53 PM
Thanks, that helps alot!

EDIT:

Is there a gaming difference between a AMDturion 64 and a AMD Sempron 3300
 EAWFAN
06-02-2006, 8:27 PM
ok crash course in this.... Intel has more ghz than AMD but AMD has more bus(its the speed that connects your RAM and other stuff to your proccesor) on average a intel has 800 bus and a AMD has 2000. i prefer Intel but my next comp im getting AMD becuase you have to mix up life! hope this helps. o and the best AMD is teh athlon 64 i think or am i wrong(havent looked at this stuff for months) but the most important thing is the graphics card i prefer the 7600 256mb it will run very well on most if not all pressecors. if you do get an Intel get the D with 3 ghz or the 3.2 or if you really want to get a sweet comp get the 3.78ghz thats alot of speed....hope that all helped you out
 popcorn2008
06-02-2006, 9:47 PM
Thanks, that helps alot!

EDIT:

Is there a gaming difference between a AMDturion 64 and a AMD Sempron 3300
Yeap, a Turion is the better processor. The Sempron is the equivelent to the low end Intel Celeron chip. In other words, Sempron and Celeron are for low budget individuals (myself :p) and the Pentium and Turion are the higher end and better processors, though also more pricey.
 Ocelot
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
THX Popcorn
 Ocelot
06-12-2006, 11:10 AM
 Ocelot
06-13-2006, 4:05 PM
Anyone, I need to know please, im going to buy one in a day or two
 Jeff
06-13-2006, 5:52 PM
Although I don't like Compaq, and I prefer Intel, I think that PC would run EaW fine.
 EAWFAN
06-13-2006, 6:13 PM
well on low yes the graphics card isnt to great and its integrated which means it slower than buying the some one and putting it in. i would recommend getting 1 gig of ram and a nvidia 6600 512 i have a comp that is similar to that doesnt run very well with most games(havent tried EAW on it yet) but thats just me (im used to speed on my new comp so dont trust me to much lol) but for the price its ok
 DarthMaulUK
06-14-2006, 2:45 AM
Its a fine PC - especially the fact you can upgrade the RAM to 4GB. The only problem - in the future, is that you will only really be able to use Nvidia graphics cards as the motherboard on this PC is the Nvidia chipset. Not a bad thing.

Just remember when you get it to update all the drivers! (my current catch phrase!) lol

DMUK
 Jan Gaarni
06-14-2006, 10:08 AM
On DMUK's tombstone it'll say:
"Have you updated your drivers yet, people?!?"

:D
 Ocelot
06-14-2006, 10:22 AM
THX Guys, i have made my decision.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know...integrated stuff never sounds good. It might be good for your budget, but from what I can read from your link, both the video card and sound card are integrated. Yes, you can probably upgrade later and ditch the previous things but anyway.

One thing you must remember is that out-of-the-box, this computer is only decent. You will not be able to play newer video games on max settings and have great performances.
Considering your budget, it might be excellent for you to start with this and fiddle with it later on.

On a side note, it is possible to buy yourself a nifty computer if you're smart and you know what you're doing without going over your budget. I've made some calculations and with recycled elements from my current computer, I could afford a 700$ CAN (about $630 US) upgrade that would bring it from crap to close to top-of-the-line.
 Ocelot
06-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Sound is not the biggest issue and I do intend on buying a new video card its just that my computer is busted and im looking for onw that I can get for cheap and work on later. But preferably one that is alright so it doesnt need to be upgraded immediately

EDIT:
What kind of computer do you have and what upgrade?

Just wondering.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-15-2006, 2:09 PM
A very old thing I'm ashamed of showing :(

Truth is, the only upgrades I've done over 3 years are sound card and hard drive. They cost me right under 200$ CAN for a very good upgrade. Then again, I put a lot more importance into sound then most people. Got to have decent 5.1 surround sound :)
The primary components are still old. If you're interested, my old AMD Athlon 2000+ is still working wonderfully well. I only need to upgrade my graphics card (currently ATi Radeon 9000 PRO) to bring it a notch closer.
However, what stops me is basically the need of a new and decent motherboard. With a new motherboard, I'll need a new processor and hell, I don't want to upgrade slowly over time. With Uni coming up next September and the possible need of a laptop, I'll have to wait...
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeap, a Turion is the better processor. The Sempron is the equivelent to the low end Intel Celeron chip. In other words, Sempron and Celeron are for low budget individuals (myself :p) and the Pentium and Turion are the higher end and better processors, though also more pricey.Turion64s are actually AMD's mobile CPU. You'll usually see them in high-end, lightweight laptops because they use very little power. I believe you were thinking of Athlon64s and Athlon64 FX-series processors, as those two are generally considered the Pentium's competition.

ok crash course in this.... Intel has more ghz than AMD but AMD has more bus(its the speed that connects your RAM and other stuff to your proccesor) on average a intel has 800 bus and a AMD has 2000.AMD processors actually just have sockets that support HyperTransport, which multiplies the processor's FSB (AMD processors all have a default FSB of 200 MHz) by whatever amount in order to increase the flow of data between the CPU and the rest of the system (mainly the RAM). Intel processors just have a standard Northbridge (or Southbridge, I can't remember which) connection, which has no multiplier.

AMD processors are better mainly because of their instruction sets, architecture, and better power consumption though.
Page: 1 of 1