Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango Dialogue files

Page: 1 of 1
 Liman
05-03-2006, 3:36 PM
Greetings folks!
This question may be out of the blue but I'll give it a shot anyway.
I know that through this SCUMM Revisted you can extract music
and such from several games, including Grim Fandango.

My question is: Is it possible to extract the dialogue audiofiles from
the Grim Fandango files because I haven't found any way to do it
nor any place to read about it. Help would be appreciated :)
 Alien426
05-04-2006, 4:31 AM
I know it's possible to extract speech. I once ripped files to illustrate the difference between the great English (http://www.pcgamescore.de/stuff/rfma019en.wav) and poor German (http://www.pcgamescore.de/stuff/rfma019de.wav) voices. Once I'm home I should be able to tell you in which file they are. Although, if you found the music and stuff, I wonder why speech is a problem.
 Liman
05-04-2006, 8:11 AM
Thanks for the reply :)
Well, when I found the music there was about... billions of
other files that werent .wav files. But I searched through
them all, listening to the .wav files and all I found was
the music and sound effects - No actual speech :(

I'll appreciate any help you can give me :)
 bgbennyboy
05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
The speech is in the voxXXX.lab files. Open them with Scumm Rev 2.
 elbiolin
04-23-2007, 6:28 PM
Is there a way to rip as WAV all the voices from a voxXXX.lab file at the same time - as a batch - instead of one at the time in ScummRev?

And what about their names? They are listed in HEX on the annotations but in the ScummRev tree they are all something like MOMA097.WAV.
What can I use as a reference when I got them all ripped on my hard disk instead of playing them one by one to tell one from another?

I hope I was clear enough with what I tried to say and not been asking nonsenses.
Some day I will improve my grammar.
Thanks!
 salty-horse
05-09-2007, 6:30 PM
And what about their names? They are listed in HEX on the annotations but in the ScummRev tree they are all something like MOMA097.WAV.
What can I use as a reference when I got them all ripped on my hard disk instead of playing them one by one to tell one from another?

The subtitles are stored in the GRIM.TAB file which is a text file with a bit of magic to hide it from you :).
To translate it, just ignore the first 4 bytes, and xor every other byte in the file with 0xdd.

Here's a python script that does just that:

f = open("GRIM.TAB")
f_new = open("GRIM.TAB.TXT", "w")
f_new.write("".join(map(lambda x: chr(ord(x)^0xdd), f.read()[4:])))
f.close()
f_new.close()
 elbiolin
05-13-2007, 6:41 PM
Thanks for the info on the TAB file, salty-horse!
Page: 1 of 1