Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Doctor Who, series 2

Page: 1 of 1
 Gabez
04-09-2006, 5:00 PM
Thought I'd get the forum back to what it's really about... Doctor Who!

The second series premiers this Saturday, and the trailers have already been hyping me up into a frenzy. I think it's going to be a really good run... good writers (Looking forward to Steven Fry) and interesting sounding premises. It looks like it'll be a bit more ambitious, with alien worlds this time, and of course the Cyber-men (possibly scarier than the Daleks I think).

I also really like the trailer itself. It's like Ecclescake's "do you want to come with me?" one, but different and shorter, though none the less cool.

The only sad thing is that I don't have TV at University and so will miss the episodes unless I can get to watch it at someone else's place. :(
 MJ
04-15-2006, 7:53 PM
Stephan Fry episode has been held over until Season 3. They deemed it too expensive for their remaining budget.

I'm really looking forward to season 2, it looks even better than the first one! From what I've seen of Tennant, he's going to be better than Chris (not that I didn't like Chris though)!

Can't you stand outside a television shop in the snow, Gabez? :(

I'm assuming from the *sob* that I saw on messenger this morning when I woke up that you missed it :(
 The Adventurer
04-30-2006, 8:55 PM
As a US resident, I'm currently knee deep in watching the first season of the new Doctor Who series on the Sci-Fi Channel (currently just got done watching Fathers Day) so far I've very impressed. This is great adventure sci-fi stuff, not bogged down by Space Opera.

Like a bit of a fool I've been downloading Season 2, so while I'm only on Father's Day on Season 1, I've also watched up to School Reunion on season 2. So far it hasn't been a probibly because the continuity hasn't clashed (except for Cassandra in New Earth, but I'd already watched The End of the World, so it was ok)

I like Eccleston's Doctor and Tennant's Doctor, they're both different, and it seems like Tennant's Doctor is taking a darker turn from Eccleston.

So MJ, you're planing a Doctor Who fanfic Radio Drama for your next project right? Which Doctor are we talking about? And when might we expect it?
 The Adventurer
05-01-2006, 3:41 PM
EDIT: for some reason the forum didn't register my posts and bump the thread. How odd.
 MJ
05-01-2006, 7:06 PM
Indeed, mucho weirdness.

I've been liking season 2 so far, mostly. The Doctor is good, but he's been let down a tad by the last two stories. And the next one doesn't seem like it'll do his justice either :(

I've been planning on doing a Doctor Who radio series for a while now, yeah. It's planned in the format of four half hour parts (total of two hours) and at the moment it's called Time Cubed, because there's three time lords in it - The Doctor, The Villain, and Number Two.

So I plan to do it... and I have mostly written the first half hour of it. But it's been bumped way back, thanks to the need to re-record Lost Cause 3 and Beneath Monkey Island again, probably in June.

So yeah, Doctor Who has become one of this 'if I get to it, it'd be great' kind of things.

And in the radio show, it wasn't any specific doctor. I hadn't planned on Lawrence doing any impersonation, just a british accent. Call him... the 12th Doctor, just to be safe. ;)
 The Adventurer
05-01-2006, 7:15 PM
Number 2, a Time Lord.

Will wonders never cease!

And you didn't like Tooth & Claw and School Reunion? Man, I though T&C was great, and even though I have no prior Sarah Jane exposure I thought Reunion was a great emotional episode.

To bad about the play getting bumped back, but It'll be nice to get Beneath Monkey Island wrapped up.
 MJ
05-02-2006, 1:27 AM
It would be nice, yes.

Again, fingers crossed. Many fingers crossed many times.
 assclown Xtreme
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
*CRACK*

Ow!
 MJ
05-03-2006, 4:49 PM
lol

Yes, in your case, that would happen. You're the only person I know who has a new injury every week.

Sure. Soccer injury.

SURE.
 Gabez
05-04-2006, 5:21 PM
Where are you downloading it from, Adventurer? I guess it's like a torrent thing?

Let me know if you find an http source. It sounds unlikely, but, hey, I found an http source for Neighbours so anything's possible!
 The Adventurer
05-04-2006, 8:30 PM
Torrent off of Demonoid (http://www.demonoid.com/) No dirrect file links exist as far as I know.
 MJ
05-09-2006, 7:59 PM
Neighbours? Oh, DUDE.

I'm Australian, and even I don't watch that crap.

I get my Doctor Who from mIRC. I can give you a http source for Lost if you want it though...
 Gabez
05-10-2006, 6:20 AM
Haha, Neighbours is the BEST! I seriously love it. It's SO GOOD!

And Philip Pullman also watches it and practically said that it inspired him to write His Dark Materials, so...

I'm tempted by Lost, but I never watched it because I missed the first few episodes and I should keep my piracy down to a minimum (Neighbours hardly counts, despite it's superior quality). ;

Actually, no that I think of it, mIRC might work with this University firewall router thing. I should give it a try maybe.
 The Adventurer
05-12-2006, 1:09 AM
Have any of you watched Life on Mars? Oh my god, it's awesome!

Also to keep things on topic, how awesome was The Girl in the Fire Place? Oh man, Doctor Who rocks face.
 MJ
05-14-2006, 8:06 PM
I was NOT looking forward to the Girl in the Fireplace (I'm a history buff, but French Aristocrats I can definitely leave). But I was REALLY surprised by the episode. Definitely the best so far this season.

I got the Cyberman episode last night. Get to watch it tonight! Wooooo! Cybermen!!!

My ferret is getting desexed today. :(
 The Adventurer
05-15-2006, 5:02 AM
The Rise of the Cybermen really rocked. At least in my opinon, it's been getting some flak from the more "purest" longterm Doctor Who fans.
 MJ
05-17-2006, 7:16 PM
Yeah, but it takes place in a parallel universe, so that's okay.

I tell you what though, cutting up people with 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' playing merrily was just... creepy. I loved it. :)
 Gabez
06-19-2006, 6:06 PM
The Girl in the fireplace was really great (reminded me of Cassanova for obvious reasons but also last season's Fathers Day), and I also loved the Cybermen one and the Satan Pit two parter.

What did people think of the recent love and monsters one with Peter Kay? It was definitely the most different one sofa. Personally I liked it, because it was so fun and different... but probably too much for its own good.

I've noticed that quite a few episodes have music cutting in over the top... Tainted Love...The Lion Sleeps tonight... Bolero... E.L.O... I also think this is a good thing.
 MJ
06-19-2006, 8:37 PM
The music is a great thing. The Lion Sleeps Tonight was just so wrong in so many ways that it was brilliant!

Love and Monsters... I didn't really like all that much. Although the chase with the alien at the start was funny :)

The only strange thing is... what was David Tennant doing in the little kid's loungeroom at the start? Without Rose? Where was she? It would have been nice if it was Chris Eccleston standing there, that could be explained as just before he met Rose.

Rose is leaving at the end of the season. A shame. She's utterly charming and utterly useless at the same time.
 Gabez
06-20-2006, 4:55 PM
Compared to the other ones it didn't work well at all (incidental trivia: the woman was Moaning Myrtle). I just saw that 1950's television one on video which I LOVED. Great idea.

And yeah, it's a shame about Billie. I've been really impressed by her acting for the past two seasons, and her character had such brilliant depth to it... I can't wait to see who the replacement is though!
 MJ
06-20-2006, 7:19 PM
Yeah, I picked Moaning Myrtle right away - same slightly creepy voice. That's the third Harry Potter actor that I know of to be on Doctor Who. After David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr) and Roger Lloyd-Pack played John Lumic, creator of the Cybermen, and Barty Crouch Sr.

Oh, and if you're a Discworld fan, the guy who played Elton in 'Love and Monsters' is going to play the assassin, Teatime, in a Discworld movie called Hogfather later this year.
 Gabez
07-08-2006, 4:47 PM
And that last episode... pretty awesome... The concept made me think "if they can do it probably, this will be excellent", and they did it properly, and it was better than excellent.

People have been giving Russel T Davies criticism this season, but I thought that last episode was top top class.
 MJ
07-10-2006, 7:15 PM
I'm going to watch it tonight. So after that we can chat about it and spoil the crap out of it, okay? :)
 B00
07-14-2006, 1:02 PM
I have to be honest, when you guys said it was coming to the US on tv i couldn't wait so i dled it and yeah i liked the new version, i've been lax for a few episodes on the second season so i'm going to have to snag those. But i like where its going, can't wait to see if Torchwood will be any good or not.
 MJ
07-19-2006, 1:13 AM
B00, I'm from Australia. How do you think I watched the show? :)

And can I just say, the end of season was fantastic. Well, when I say fantastic, I mean okay. Well, when I say okay...

A bit too much blubbering towards the end, for obvious reasons. A bit of a cop out on the 'dead' aspect. But hey, the twist with the Daleks was good.

All up, a great idea, just not done all that well. Could have been much more, I suppose.

I say that the best episodes of the season was the earlier Cybermen two parter. Awesome stuff there.
 B00
12-09-2006, 3:49 AM
So what did you guys think of the Season Finale with the Genesis Ark and the Ghosts?
 The Adventurer
12-11-2006, 1:11 AM
I think it was pretty cool, though not perfectly executed. Daleks vs Cybermen vs Humans is the greatest idea ever.
 MJ
12-11-2006, 4:45 AM
I think Torchwood ruined it a bit. And the Doctor crying was... terribly out of character.
 B00
12-13-2006, 1:07 PM
It could've been worse, but i happened to enjoy it.
 King Dando
12-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Since the finale was shown sometime in July in the UK, I havent seen it since then. Although some parts of the episode were a bit iffy. Like when the Dalek tells the scientist guy to kneel so they can extract his brainwaves, I would have taken that to mean kneel facing the Dalek, plus how can the Void have "stuff"? It's a Void.

Don't get me wrong, I love Doctor Who. It was good, but could of been better.

I hear series 3 will remain largely earthbound since the BBC are on a tight budget.
 King Dando
12-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry to double post but, the Doctor Who Christmas is being shown in just under 2 hours in the UK! *gasps*
 MJ
12-26-2006, 7:57 AM
I've seen half of it. So far, so good. A little strange, but I'm sure it'll all explain itself :)
 King Dando
12-28-2006, 4:44 PM
Just to be sure, are you referring to The Christmas Invasion or The Runaway Bride? because I was referring to the latter. The Christmas Invasion was shown last Christmas in the UK :)
 MJ
01-03-2007, 2:10 AM
Runaway Bride! Saw it last week :)
 King Dando
01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Awesome, I can't wait for season 3 :)
Page: 1 of 1