Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cynthia McKinney

Page: 1 of 1
 rccar328
04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Apparently, Cynthia McKinney last week was asked to stop and identify herself by Capitol Hill police as she was bypassing a security checkpoint in a House office building. She didn't stop, didn't identify herself, so the officer grabbed her...at which point she hit him.

Why she wasn't arrested right away for assaulting a police officer I don't know, but one of her first actions after this made the news was to charge racism against the Capitol Hill police department...even though there is no evidence of racism in this case: McKinney wasn't wearing the pin that identifies her as a Congresswoman, so she was not allowed to just bypass the security checkpoint.

The first allegation that I heard her make against Capitol Hill police was that they should've recognized her...which makes perfect sense. After all, there are only 535 members of Congress coming and going, along with their staffers and whoever else happens to be showing up for meetings and whatnot.

Next she charged racism...because obviously, Capitol Hill police should be allowing any black woman they didn't recognize to bypass security checkpoints in the interests of racial sensitivity.

There are two things in this case that hack me off:

1. She assaulted a police officer, but she has yet to be arrested.

2. There is a "the boy who cried wolf" phenomenon going on with allegations of racism in America. So often we hear people alleging racism as a matter of course, when oftentimes the charge is absolutely baseless, as it obviously is in this case. I believe that this cheapens charges of racism, and makes people less likely to listen to legitimate charges of racism, because there are just so many phony allegations out there.

McKinney isn't backing down (http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/05/D8GPRPI8F.html) from her story. Capitol Police deny any and all allegations of racism, and say it was simply a security matter.

I say, arrest her and put her behind bars...maybe then she'll learn to respect the security process. I doubt it, but she might actually stop and identify herself the next time she's asked by a police officer, at the very least.
 Tinny
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know, it might be racism as she's pretty popular. But I doubt it, at the very least she should have some charges of assault.
 ET Warrior
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I'd say it's a case of a woman acting like a stupid *****.
 El Sitherino
04-05-2006, 3:56 PM
I'd say it's a case of a woman acting like a stupid *****.
or a ****.

Either way, she's foolish.
 TK-8252
04-05-2006, 4:22 PM
Why the hell was she even offended that a cop stopped her... that's what they're supposed to do when someone unidentified skips through security.
 rccar328
04-05-2006, 4:27 PM
Why the hell was she even offended that a cop stopped her... that's what they're supposed to do when someone unidentified skips through security.
According to her, Capitol Hill police should be able to recognize her.
 toms
04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm with you on this one.

Mind you i've never heard of her so i don't know how famous she is in the US.

But then, if as she claims she is so famous, does she think that they DID recognise her, but stopped her anyway because she was black? Cos they would have to be both extremely racist and very stupid to do that.
 swphreak
04-06-2006, 1:31 PM
...maybe then she'll learn to respect the security process. I doubt it, but she might actually stop and identify herself the next time she's asked by a police officer, at the very least.

I was actually at a dentist appointment and watching this on TV. If FOX news is to be believed, if she's indicted, it would be a felony, and then she couldn't be a Congresswoman anymore.

I don't care who you are, if a cop tells you to identify yourself, you freaking identify yourself. I didn't even know who the hell she was til now, I don't blame the cop for not knowing.
 ET Warrior
04-06-2006, 1:36 PM
But then, if as she claims she is so famous, does she think that they DID recognise her, but stopped her anyway because she was black? I think her gripe is that he's racist and didn't recognize her because she was black. She's assuming he knows all the white Congress members I suppose.

She's not really that famous, I probably wouldn't recognize all of the members of congress representing MY state, let alone all of them representing ALL states.
 toms
04-06-2006, 4:07 PM
The Georgia Democrat, appearing on CBS's "The Early Show" Wednesday, recently dropped her trademark cornrows in favor of a curly brown afro.
Well, maybe that is a good reason she wasn't recognised. ??

Now it may possibly be true that there is a longstanding pattern of her being stopped more often than her white coleagues... and this is what lead to her frustration. THat seems to be what she is claiming. BUt even if that is the case t doesn't mean that this particular officer was in any way racist.

As a federal prosecutor considers whether to press assault or other charges against her, Republicans presented a resolution commending Capitol police for professionalism toward members of Congress and visitors _ even though they "endure physical and verbal assaults in some extreme cases."

"I don't think it's fair to attack the Capitol Police and I think it's time that we show our support for them," said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R- N.C., a sponsor of the measure. Ignoring a police officer's order to stop, or hitting one, "is never OK," McHenry said.

Some GOP members have said the McKinney incident serves to underscore Democratic insensitivity to security concerns.

Glad to see the political games are still wasting time. :(

Sounds like she has backed down:
Rep. Cynthia McKinney, D-Ga., expressed "sincere regret" Thursday for her altercation with a Capitol police officer, and offered an apology to the House.

"There should not have been any physical contact in this incident," McKinney said in brief remarks on the House floor. "I am sorry that this misunderstanding happened at all and I regret its escalation and I apologize."
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/06/D8GQI66O4.html)

Seems to me like a case of her overreacting and then making it worse by trying to justify it.
 Good Sir Knight
04-07-2006, 12:43 AM
I don't think she can be detained on her way to 'work', it's right there in the constitution.

She should be in jail now though, just like I surely would be. I'm calling racism on that. :naughty:

It's also funny...well...what with the 'crusaders against racism', with their 'sensitivity indoctrinations' and quotas.... it's funny that they can be the most intolerant in that they focus on the differences in people.
Page: 1 of 1