Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem getting JA to work with XP

Page: 1 of 1
 Jragon
03-24-2006, 9:19 PM
Ok, this is my first post, so exuse me if I'm a little awkward. I just upgraded from windows 2000 pro to XP pro and now I can't get JA to work. AT first I kept getting a black screen, you could hear the game menu sounds but you couldn't see, I upgraded the driver for my g-force fx 5700le to the latest WHQL signed driver from Nvidia's website, But windows still shows it as "not digitally signed", and now I can see the menu but I keep getting a "C++ runtime error" and the game crashes back to the desktop. This is really frustrating. I tried searching the forums but had no luck, so here I am. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I s there anything I can do other than reinstall windows 2000? I was just getting started with Richdiesal's mapping tutorials and looking forward to trying to do some level editing of my own, so this is really frustrating. Which reminds me, when I run GTK RADiant now my 3d window has no lighting and my 2d grid lines are all black, even though the colors menu shows my settings are all still in place. The computer is an AMd Duron 800 Mhz with 256MB RAM and the video adapter is a Winfast A360LE with a G-Force FX 5700LE chip if that helps. I hope there is an easier solution than reformatting my hard drive so I can re-install Win2kpro. Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions you have.
 dtriniman
03-25-2006, 8:02 AM
I assume your using the CD. If so Windows Xp (Home & Pro) comes with a feature to play games that worked on older version that may not work with XP.
Click Start, Accessories, Program Compatibility Wizard. Choose the program in CD drive, then select which setting you like for you I guess it will be Windows 2000 and then run it. Leave the the Wizard open btw. If it works go back in the wizard and choose Yes it worked keep these settings. (or something to that effect)
 Jragon
03-25-2006, 3:03 PM
Thank you for answering so fast, I wasn't sure if people came here that often anymore. Sadly, it didn't work. The first time I tried it, I got the same "Microsoft C++ Runtime Library" window with the message "Runtime errror - Abnormal program termination" when the game got to the menu screen. I tried a few more times with various checkbox options enabled (256 color mode, etc.) and all I got was a black screen I had to use task manager to get out of. This is very annoying. Regardless, thank you very much dtriniman for your help.
 dtriniman
03-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Ah my bad. I didn't read the post properly.

You receive a Runtime Error or an "abnormal program termination" error.

Update the driver for your video card. Identify the manufacturer and type of video card in your computer, and then check the manufacturer's Web site for an updated driver.

well get your latest driver and if that doesn't work maybe you can try to tweak your card. try http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html) or http://www.omegadrivers.net/).

And yes we are here... you just can't see us. *fades back into the shadows*
 Sith lord 826
03-26-2006, 6:02 PM
The verson might be to advanced to play the game it happened to me in another game
 jmac7142
03-26-2006, 6:04 PM
The verson might be to advanced to play the game it happened to me in another game
*cough*Compatibility mode*cough*
 Jragon
03-26-2006, 8:04 PM
Well, I got the latest drivers a day or 2 before posting here (I mentioned they were still being read as 'not digitally signed') and that didn't seem to help, so I went to http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html) and began reading through that, there's a lot of material to cover though, so I guess I'll be at it for awhile. Right now I'm going to go check the other site. Thanks again for all the help.
 dtriniman
03-27-2006, 3:25 PM
NP man. Let me know how it went.
 Tinny
03-27-2006, 8:50 PM
Did you try patching JA?
 biny
04-03-2006, 4:59 PM
Did you try reinstalling?
Page: 1 of 1