Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem with the mod tools

Page: 1 of 1
 Alkonium
03-02-2006, 8:48 AM
I just installed the mod tools, tried running them, and it said that the program failed to load because binkw32.dll is missing. Any idea on how to fix this other than reinstalling?
 zerted
03-02-2006, 9:07 AM
Do you have SWBF2 installed too? What program did you run? To start off, you need to run \bf2_modtools\data\_BUILD\Modtools VisualMunge.exe

Read the getting started guide in the documentation folder for more info.
 aadd111
03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
me too,and I can't open zeroeditor,I did everything "getting started" says,and when it says open Zeroeditor,I can't open it.
 Alkonium
03-02-2006, 4:34 PM
Wait, for some reason, I just now thought that it has to be installed in the same place as BFII, which I didn't do, although I do have the game as well.
 aadd111
03-03-2006, 12:10 AM
it's not working
 zerted
03-03-2006, 5:18 AM
from http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/binkw32/)
"DLL File: binkw32 or binkw32.dll
DLL Name: Bink Video Player DLL

Description:
binkw32.dll is component for the BINK video codec and is used to play compressed movies within application such as games. "

Do you have the game and the latest patch installed? Are you using Windows 2000? Backup your game profile, and try uninstalling then reinstalling everything.

Are you getting the same error message aadd111?
 Alkonium
03-03-2006, 7:39 AM
I have the game and the latest patch, I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition, and no, Zeroeditor works fine.
 aadd111
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes,I get the same error message.
I don't have the patch install because after I install it,the only thing change is that all ships can't use their laser gun.
the patch is called "Star Wars Battlefront 2-v1.1 Patch [International]",right?
And I'm useing Windows XP.
 zerted
03-05-2006, 1:57 AM
If you have the internation version of the game, then yes that is a patch (there are CD and DVD versions of the patch).

You need to have patch SWBF2 to v1.1 to fully use the mod tools.

binkw32.dll fix:

SWBF2 installs binkw32.dll, but the editor can't find it. You need to change your Window's PATH to include the directory in which SWBF2 put the dll. Search your computer for binkw32.dll.

"The path now managed by Windows 2000 / Windows XP and not the autoexec.bat or autoexec.nt files [like in Win98]. To change the system environment variables, follow the below steps.

1. From the desktop, right click My Computer and click properties.
2. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
3. In the Advanced section, click the Environment Variables button.
4. Finally, in the Environment Variables window, highlight the path variable in the Systems Variable section and click edit. Add or modify the path lines with the paths you wish the computer to access. Each different directory is separated with a semicolon as shown below.

C:\Program Files;C:\Winnt;C:\Winnt\System32
"

You want to append the PATH variable with the SWBF2 path which the binkw32.dll search returned.
 chief757
03-12-2006, 3:46 AM
I Have A error too If I Open the Mod Tools Its Says Please Enter Cd 1 But I Have A DVD Version Is there a Fix?
 zerted
03-13-2006, 7:32 AM
That isn't the mod tools. Read the Getting Started guide to learn how to get started.

There is supposed to be a DVD patch to the debugger. Its in development...
 Arc9
03-13-2006, 8:02 AM
that bink thing is a dll file in Battlefront II\Gamedata!!!
 zerted
03-13-2006, 1:30 PM
that bink thing is a dll file in Battlefront II\Gamedata!!!
Good. Now add the folder to the Window's PATH or move the mod tools into the game folder.
 MADK
02-23-2007, 7:19 PM
I registered here just to set you nitwits straight.

Here is a list of the executables, where they should be located, and what they're for.

C:\BF2_Modtools\BF2_Modtools.exe
Copy and paste this into C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars BattleFront 2\Gamedata. All it is is SWBF2 with features good for testing your mod maps. Execute it and press the ~ key to bring up special mod menu. Escape gives you the menu the \ key gives you sometimes. Read documentation for further explanation.

C:\BF2_Modtools\data\_BUILD\ModTools VisualMunge.exe
Use this to create a new blank map. Read Getting Started.doc for more detail.

Now the one I hate most...
C:\BF2_Modtools\data\ZeroEditor.exe
Used to place objects on your map, make cps, all that funky stuff. I get an error when I run it. I am adapting by learning the scripting system until I can make it work.

More Q & As

What is a .lua file?
the .lua, or script files, can be found at C:\BF2_Modtools\[insert your 3 letter level abbreviation here]_data\common\scripts\[insert your 3 letter level abbreviation here]. Open them with NotePad and read documentation to learn how to use them.

what is an odf file?
Unless you're making a custom unit, there's no need to worry about the odfs found all over the place. If you are making one, read Jedi Side Example.doc.

what is a .tga file?
See above.

What are all those executables in the C:\BF2_ModTools\ToolsFL folder?
Ignore them. Most of them are just for munging stuff, and the couple that look useful just give you a log or plain give you an error.

If this hasn't cleared up any confusion, I'd be surprised.

Want to get this side even more educated? Force people to read the documentation before they do anything else.
 jawathehutt
02-24-2007, 5:00 PM
*cough* necro *cough*
 MADK
04-01-2007, 7:41 AM
Necro? May I ask who is that?
 jawathehutt
04-01-2007, 1:09 PM
your a necro, you posted in a post that is over a year old which didnt really need to be posted in because the issue has been resolved.
 athieboy
01-13-2008, 9:14 AM
save it in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData

cuz thats were binw thing is
Page: 1 of 1