Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What else in Lucas Arts is as good as JO?

Page: 1 of 1
 PTjak
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm new here and need some advice. I'm a PC gamer only and my favourite game of all time is Jedi Outcast. When I first played Dark Forces I loved it, then when JK2 came out I must have played it through to completion about 5 times. Using the force powers in third person perspective is pure genius from Lucas Arts....so engaging it's unreal.

My question is this...what other Star Wars games from Lucas Arts compare to JO? Are any of the more recent JK games for PC as good or better? I'm really just interested in a similar type of game play as JO, not something radically different. Which L.A. game would you recommend? Does it involve Kyle again? Thanks.
 Kensai
02-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Jedi Academy, the prequel/sequel...?

Kyle is peripheral character and you don't control however, but it is set after JO. Apart from this, and if your looking for SW games, their isn't many other 3rd person shooter/jedi games. Unless you want to play Battlefront I and II.
 PTjak
02-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Thx Kensai. Is Jedi Academy any good compared to JO? If I buy it will it be as much fun? Do the Battlefront games give as much immersive action as moving Kyle around in JO?

Now I'm wondering...is a Jedi Knight 3 in the works? That would be brilliant :)
 Kensai
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/)
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/)

I wouldn't say it gives you the same immersion, but it certainly puts you in a realistic setting, albeit Star Wars...:D
 dtriniman
02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Jedi Academy is nicknamed JK3 so you would be askign if a JK4 is in the works and so far we have had no solid evidence to that effect. To say whether JA is better then JO is entirely up to you. As the old adage goes: "One man's meat is another man's poison". Some people who left JO for JA have stayed there and never looked back. Some people has said JA was bantha poodoo and went back to JO. Then you have the minority who play both still. (like me).

My advice: research. Check out www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/) .
Read all the reviews you possibly can. If you don't want to however I'll give you a few things to think about. (please keep in mind these are MY thoughts and views)

Pros :
1) You can customize your character in terms of race,color & gender. (SP)
2) You start off with a lightsaber and you get to customize that as well. (hilt and blade color). (SP)
3) New moves to perform which can definitely help with the game's missions. (SP)
4) More force powers to use in the missions. e.g Absorb which you only got for MP in JO. (SP)
5) At a certain point in the game you get to choose between your regular single saber, dual sabers (Anakin in ep2) or a double-edged saber aka staff (Darth Maul ep1). (SP)
6) You get to ride tauntauns and fight wampas & a rancor or two. (SP)
7) New items including the grapplehook and jetpack. (MP)
8) JA+ a great mod (MP)

Cons:
1) The storyline just plain sucked. It didn't have that deep immersive feeling of JO. (SP)
2) The dismemberment code which made JO realistic when we found it out (whenever you did :)) doesn't work anymore and you have to do a lot of @#$% to get it working. (SP)
3) For MP the new moves that were good in the SP suddenly get spammed and you more or less end up on servers with kata whores or butterfly spammers. ( I mean hey they are easy to beat but it does cut down on interesting duels.)
'
Anyway as i said it's all up to you.

EDIT: Almost forgot if you want to get really into a SW role try out KOTOR and KOTOR:TSL. Yes they are RPGs and I hated them too but they are really good. In fact they are the ONLY RPGs I play.
 Samuel Dravis
02-28-2006, 12:10 PM
JA has the Open Jedi Project (ojp.jediknight.net) mod being worked on for it. ^_^
JA has full Seige (Saga in JO) gametype support.

Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith are almost as good lightsaber-wise when you use some mods that let you control it more than the original games do. :)
 Good Sir Knight
03-01-2006, 1:24 AM
I'm an old DOD addict so I'd have to say DOD... and I'm most definently not talking about source. *shiver*

I've found BF mildly interesting though as far as Star Wars games go it's easily JO for me.
 Kurgan
03-01-2006, 1:41 AM
In my honest opinion the only Star Wars games I've played since JK2 which have been any good are JA (which I consider superior, once you take OJP and mods like this (http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml) into account).

Republic Commando had GREAT single player, so-so multiplayer (buggy, incomplete, limited, even though fun).

Empire at War shows great promise, but of course it's a completely different kind of game. I haven't played MP (since I have only played the demo so far).

Beyond those, none of the other released Star Wars games on PC really held my attention for long (though with sufficient patching and mods SWBF2 could be good, but for now it just doesn't cut it for me long term).
 dtriniman
03-01-2006, 8:46 AM
SPAST! How could I forget Republic Commando? *slaps self*
You have to try that out.
 Kensai
03-01-2006, 9:23 AM
I'm an old DOD addict so I'd have to say DOD... and I'm most definently not talking about source. *shiver*

I've found BF mildly interesting though as far as Star Wars games go it's easily JO for me.

He was talking about LucasArts games, saying that I also used to play DoD, shame it died with Source...
 PTjak
03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Many thanks for your comments guys...much appreciated. I will check out JA for sure and also Republic Commando. Shame there's no JK4 in the works given the immense popularity of JO.
 Kurgan
03-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh yeah, I never played the KOTOR games, but a lot of people swear by them, so maybe they're good. ;)
Page: 1 of 1