Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Obi-Wan: Destroyer of Armies.

Page: 1 of 1
 Master Nikolaos
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I thought this was pretty cool, but I managed to conquer a planet using only bombing runs, Obi-Wan and a group of Speeders. Yes, the enemy base wasn't that protected, but the fact that I used two units to take down 7 groups of stormtroopers, about 4 swamp speeders and a AT-AT is still very cost effective(Oh, I forgot to say all the extra enemy units produced from the two enemy barracks in the planet whic equals about 30 extra infantry+10 extra swamp speeders).

Anyway, so I conquer space, and then think(mind thinking)," I'm tired now, and I'm feeling hungry. Hmm... lets have one last fun battle as the rebels to finish off the evening. How about I take Obi-Wan and a Speeder and try to take Bestine. Ha, Obi-Wan will get owned so bad LOL, well, it must be fun to watch"

So I take the small army and start a ground battle. Once I get to the reinforcement list there is only the Speeders. Pretty funny still. I take Obi-Wan to the only other command post on the map and let him take it while my Speeders do some scouting.

Voila, I find an AT-AT, suprice, surprice. Then, a flash light went off in my head," Speeders+AT-AT=Owned AT-AT" So I use the cable ability and the thousands of troopers looking below get dizzy as the Speeders go around and arround in elaborate circle patterns until BAM! AT-AT dies. By this time I say,"well, maybe I can win..." Once Obi-Wan captures the control point(and while I send my Speeders to destroy the two barracks to keep reinforcements off), he is attacked by Swamp speeders' trooper,etc from every direction. So Because I had secured two build pads, I make 2 into anti-infantry. *Fighting* Obi-Wan keeps killing and killing. But then, the Swampers start placing fireworks under by turrets, and they take both out. Obi-Wan is in trouble, and so are the Speeders, because the enemy is trying to take them out by building Anti-Aircraft T..

Switching to and fro between Obi and the Speeders; destroying barracks/AA turrets and keeping Wan out of harms way. Obi can't take much more, he starts complaining," I'm not as young as I use to be, give me a break!" No, he only really said," I'm under attack". In a desperate gamble, I recapture a build pad and build a bacta tank (I had already used healing ability).

He is saved. *Fighting*. Speeders take out both barracks, but are fried by AAs anyway. Wan manages to capture the second build pad after slicing all the infantry he has around him and gets a new anti-I turret. The Imps just keep coming and coming until...they suddenly don't come any more. At this point, I take Ben(Kenobi) to the main base where the rest of the guys are. *Fighting*. Take out AAs(finally) and now I can safely send in a bombing run. Obi-Wan watches on as the victory screen is revealed. Looks like he reviewed some of the remaining archive books on the Jedi Temple at Coruscant after I conquered it because the force was STRONG with him. :D
 Darth Alec
02-24-2006, 2:21 AM
Lucky guy.
Thats proves the power of the force.
 Master Nikolaos
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Thats right :D. I'll try making a similar battle with the different force driven characters and the termine which one is ultimatly more effective. My guess is the Empire will have more trouble(no air units exept for bombers, which kindda ruin the purpose if overused.

Edit: I wonder, how can you post images into a thread, I've been trying to figure it out for years and years.
 Darth_Extas
02-24-2006, 1:15 PM
If you think about, I have devastated a whole planet with Palpatine and a few squads of stormtroopers. The Force Corrupt ability is what allows palpatine to devestate his enemies to his side. Force lightning when fully surrounded is amazing! wipes out 15-25 infantry members. The Force Lift/Building attack for palpatine is amazing as well. The real damage is from the blaster shots reflecting off his lightsaber.
 Master Nikolaos
02-24-2006, 1:22 PM
Ha, tricky little Palpatine and his corrupting abilities. We still have to see wether Vader can handle a battle well. Also, how many infantry did you have?
 Admiral Sith
02-24-2006, 4:39 PM
Vader can take on whole armies, with him and a AT-ST squad i killed 18 Infantry squads, 4 T2-b squads, and some Turbolaser Towers. Guerilla fighting is awesome.
 Master Nikolaos
02-24-2006, 6:40 PM
LOL, perhaps it is time to device a new kind of hero guerrilla warfare :D. I just got home, so I'll see what the best two unit combination for heroes is.
 Hartmrolf
02-25-2006, 2:21 AM
In MP i managed to defend a whole planet after the rest of my troops and base were devestated, though i have to admit it was jabiim (chose it as the secret base for my emperor in the beginning of the campaign) where no repulsorlifts are allowed ^^
 Master Nikolaos
02-25-2006, 9:00 PM
Nice tactic. Did you get a lot of artillery brought against you, because artillery for rebels= a thorn on the empire's side.
 BuCkEt!
02-26-2006, 6:36 AM
I've taken a planet with Obi-Wan alone.

Accidently dropped him byself onto an enemy planet as a raid. No air support, nothing.
 Darth_Extas
02-27-2006, 9:24 AM
@ Nikolaos, I had one company, As well on the same map I believe I had force corrupted a rancor.
There is as well a mission in the campaign that Palpatine slaughters bothans alone!
 Darth_Extas
02-27-2006, 9:29 AM
Note: Sorry this is a second post, It is not related to the one before.

In my opinion I see the best hero combo as Vader + Palpatine, the two kill everything in sight. Vader is virually invincable but, beware of the MPLT, They killed vader once in a mission it was not the same as the teamed Palpatine and Vader combo mission I did.
I have force corrupted whole armies with palpatine and the team of the siths is very usefull.
I wonder why no Star Wars rts games have Mara Jade with a lightsaber?
 Master Nikolaos
03-02-2006, 1:13 PM
I agree with the Vader/ Palpatine team. Force Lighting comes in handy many a time, while Vader's ability to crush vehicles is a must for the team to balance the missing attributes of eachother.
 KhaosNite
03-04-2006, 11:59 AM
I wonder why no Star Wars rts games have Mara Jade with a lightsaber?

I think that she was a "demolitions" person, caring for for the "heavy guns" then using a lightsaber like an average Jedi/Sith. But what she lacks in lightsabers she excells in the explosives
 Thor the Bassis
02-25-2007, 11:54 AM
bit off thread but I find using obi wan and troops really good looking as the rebels coz its like a real commando team. i usually drop loads of speeders first and remove AT-ATs and factories and such before retreating. Then obiwan and troops are dropped to take the planet. Obiwan could do it by himself but the commando team look really good - especially on jungle worlds.
 Equinox
10-31-2007, 6:52 PM
Hmm. I once took tatooine when the empire had 10 units, turbolasers, all the buildings, and a shield generator. I just brought in the speeders, killed the shields, then retreated before the enemy could build aa. if they started building aa, i retreated before it finished, which therefore caused them to not be built. I kept doing this to all the buildings and retreating after each one. And use bombing runs if necessary.

Obi-wan is next to invincible. I know pirates are weak, but i took on a full base of them with just Obi-Wan. Heal, and while healing is recharging, protect, which nullifies most damage.

While facing more difficult groups like the Empire, always use raids. It saves time from you having to land all your troops separately. I use Obi-wan, a group of MPTLs, and either one T4B and an infiltrator squad, or just two infiltrator squads. Obiwan heals, which takes care of the bacta tank need. I build 2 repair stations next to the MPTLs and T4Bs and if there are enough build pads i build a bacta for the infiltrators. MPTL spotter takes care of bombing runs, Obi wan soaks up damage, T4bs wipe out turrets and masses of infantry, and also soak damage, infiltrators take care of infantry and use the grenades to blow up buildings and stuff, and MPTLs take care of anything else. When i keep discovering new build pads, i just move my MPTLs up.
Page: 1 of 1