Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Saves not saving-Mp

Page: 1 of 1
 TheGreenGoblin
02-19-2006, 9:25 PM
I've been playing lan with a friend and it works fine, but when I save our game and we try to come back to it, the save doesn't show up. It was working when I started it and I have no idea what the problem could be. Any ideas?
 Tal Odo-ki
02-20-2006, 9:51 AM
I've been having a similar problem in SP (version 1.02 of the game). It happens after playing the game a while. The longer I play the longer it takes to make each save (as the savefiles keep growing in size) and eventually the game will stop saving. Looking at the saves directory it creates a zero-byte file. Exiting the game completely (or killing the process if the game has hung) and then reloading the last (good) save allows me to continue playing as normal -- for a while (until the problem occurs again). Reloading savegames makes the problem occur quickly. For me, reloading 3-4 times is enough to crash the game with an exception. The game has a very serious memory leak that is killing the save/restore game code or data areas.
 Leron
02-20-2006, 3:34 PM
BTW, where is that save directory? I just can't see it!!!! is it hidden or something like that? :(
 Tal Odo-ki
02-20-2006, 7:02 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Petroglyph\Empire At War\Save
 Hound_Dawg
02-20-2006, 8:34 PM
yeah I have been having this problem as well. First time it ever happenend to me was today. Me and my brother were playing on the LAN and the saves used to work and we had a really big game going, and then the save disappeared. Can't wait for the next patch, hopefully it'll address this, along with the "password does not match email address" issue when one tries to register. However the save still exists as ive found it in the single player mode, when it asks you to save.
 popcorn2008
02-21-2006, 3:24 PM
I have the exact same problem as well. The only way I could get the save to appear was to start a game, save it and then quit. When we re-made a game the save appeared. Try that and see if it works. Try it two times, as that worked for me.
 TheGreenGoblin
02-21-2006, 3:47 PM
Thanks, but I ended up reinstalling and that fixed the problem. :)
 Jornie
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Just posted a similar issue b4 I noticed this thread. It's the same kind of problem but with SP mode.

When attempting to save a game, there's a long wait followed by a message telling you that save has failed and to check your disk space. This will also obliterate your previous save if you overwrite it. At this time, I don't know if this problem extends to autosave.

I noticed this first happened towards the end of Han Solo's quest to rescue the wookies. I also noticed that the time to save was getting longer and longer. I managed to complete it but then the problem continues when into the galactic map.

Is there a workaround for this bug or is it time to sit tight and wait for another patch?
 Hound_Dawg
02-24-2006, 9:13 PM
I actually got a hold of the devolpers during a live dev chat and told them about this issue. :)
 Vagabond
02-24-2006, 9:40 PM
And what did they say when you mentioned this? Because I'm having this problem in single play - I can't even get past about 4 freaking planets before my save get gets to about 67 Mb in size, and then just completely times out. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure how they could ever get this through testing with such a fatal bug. Didn't anyone ever actually play the game all the way through, saving and loading, before the game went gold? Amazing...
 enterman
02-25-2006, 2:30 AM
And what did they say when you mentioned this? Because I'm having this problem in single play - I can't even get past about 4 freaking planets before my save get gets to about 67 Mb in size, and then just completely times out. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure how they could ever get this through testing with such a fatal bug. Didn't anyone ever actually play the game all the way through, saving and loading, before the game went gold? Amazing...
mabe the patch caused this issue?
 popcorn2008
02-25-2006, 8:40 AM
The game sure is riddled with bugs in the single player campaign. You think they would of caught some of the more obvious ones.

Can you post a screenshot of the error message you recieve when you try to save?
 Vagabond
02-25-2006, 5:11 PM
I've started my campaing over again - the next time it happens I'll try to do a screenshot, but the paraphrase of the message is that you're out of disk space, which I'm most assuredly am not since I have over 100 Gb of free space.
 Vagabond
02-25-2006, 8:11 PM
Here's an update, in my new campaign, during the course of one planetary invasion, my save game size shot up from 9 Mb to 97 Mb, and takes 10 minutes to save. This is just absolutely ridiculous...
Page: 1 of 1