Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Multiplayer Connection Issues

Page: 1 of 1
 swphreak
02-16-2006, 3:42 PM
Post here if you're haivng connection issues.

I've logged in about 50 times, with 10 of those times successful for more than 30 seconds, and I've played a total of 1 game online. I am extremely pissed there is no direct IP option, because GameSpy blows.

I've modified my router settings for GameSpy, and that didn't do anything, so I've reset it to what I had before. I really hope this gets fixed soon, and I wish they would add a direct IP connection option.
 mdk4711
02-16-2006, 4:23 PM
Same here.

I played the game once online without any problem, no extra configuration of Empire at War itself, my machine, or the router.
But now it is not working anymore.

I've forwarded all the Ports for Gamespy and Empire at War - it did not help.

Any suggestions?
 swphreak
02-16-2006, 4:46 PM
Well, I managed to join a second game, but when I got in the game room, all the slots were blank, but I could still communicate with the host, and select Empire. We started the game pretty fast, but then got a lovely Out of Sync error and had to disconnect.

I'm still trying to successfully stay logged in. I get this lovely screen after clicking "Custom Match."
 Andy819
02-16-2006, 7:46 PM
http://www.picshosted.com/v/12903/untitled.bmp)
yea, Anyone help me, oh and It worked the first time I tried than stoped :S

Edit:Change Screenie links
 Clefo
02-16-2006, 8:27 PM
Pretty much the same problem Phreak is having is plaguing me now
 Perp
02-17-2006, 9:17 AM
Very very frustrating. I must have tried 50 times before just giving up and trying out single player skirmish.

I did get on once, added a buddy, but quickly noticed a few things-

-The max size the 1v1 channel seemed to hold was 73 or so...
-A lot of people where complaining that they were not able to get a game to successfully launch.

I am coming over from Dawn of War, another Gamespy hosted game, and if we are stuck with them I suggest they follow the DoW model. Dawn of War has lots of channels that hold around 100 players at any one time. As a channel gets full you get placed in another channel.

This maybe where the breakdown was last night, I only noticed one channel populating, and as it maxed out around 73 or so, no one else could connect.

I miss the times of Tribes 2, where a game would come with its own servers, clan pages, clan tag system, forums, etc. That game could handle any amount of people and had so many community features bundled with it... But I degress :(
 Steelhed
02-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but lets not forget Tribes2 launch..ROFL Just messin round... Even though Tribes2's launch and first couple months were abismal, it turned out to be one of my favorites of all time..
 Apocalypse|TFL
02-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Having same problems, can't stay logged in for more than a few seconds.... any idea how to fix this?
 Lindsey
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
its a known issue and they're working on fixing it.

I have the same issue so I share your pain
 enterman
02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, I managed to join a second game, but when I got in the game room, all the slots were blank, but I could still communicate with the host, and select Empire. We started the game pretty fast, but then got a lovely Out of Sync error and had to disconnect.

I'm still trying to successfully stay logged in. I get this lovely screen after clicking "Custom Match."
I get that message ALOT however I have been able to play 2 matchs online but ive alos gotten alot of connection errors like everyone else.
 Andy819
02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Lets use something else than Gamespy it SUCKS!
 Admiral Sith
02-17-2006, 1:01 PM
If we had a choice we would :(
 alex124
02-17-2006, 3:28 PM
im having trouble connecting online but it does say in news that there is a problem and it will be fixed soon has anyone else had this problem
 Breiti
02-17-2006, 3:40 PM
i cant connect online too.

which news say what ?
 alex124
02-17-2006, 3:43 PM
the first one says that some pepole cant connect to the server and that they are fixing the issue as quickly as possible
 Kasan Moor
02-17-2006, 3:52 PM
/signed
 Deathtrip
02-17-2006, 4:34 PM
Same goes for me ...lets hope for a patch soon i wanna play with my friend
:smash:
 swphreak
02-17-2006, 6:39 PM
Now I'm getting some runtime exception error or something. I can send this _Except log the pop-up told me if a Petro Dev is reading and would like to see it.
 crazyyyhorse1
02-17-2006, 6:58 PM
ive only played sucessfully once but tryed 10 times

i disabled all my firewalls
when i got in to the welcome screen i went to options and waited for every thing in the network thing to stop showing searching then i talked to the guy i was playin against and made sure he had the patch and thank god it worked

hope this might actually help someone but i doubt it
 Kasan Moor
02-17-2006, 8:54 PM
There is no need to change network options or PC components, just sit back and wait is all we can do because Gamespy has problems.
 popcorn2008
02-17-2006, 9:02 PM
I have the exact same problem as well! Though I got to play twice, now everytime I try to get on Im kicked off. Its real disapointing as I really would like to play multiplayer online.
 Kasan Moor
02-17-2006, 9:03 PM
hey lucasarts just released patch 1.02 who resolve the disconnecting issue!

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2517481�)
 KTR
02-17-2006, 9:08 PM
new patch works great! see ya online!
 swphreak
02-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Yep, logged in on the first try and made it to the custom match lobby.
 augrunt
02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
It's still screwed, and is not fixed. Many are still experiencing the problems... like me.
 Texxxxx
02-18-2006, 3:12 PM
Still having trouble connecting to a custom match ...*except*...for campaign...that mode seems to be working well. It is only 1v1 and the connection issues are much simplified.

Thx for going to the effort to post a guide, augrunt, I'm sure people will find it helpful, but it really doesn't seem to make much difference. I have been through the settings and previously did everything that you mentioned, and I tend to agree that something is bugy, because I get the same exact results with or without port forwarding.

I still believe that different lobbies for different regions would be a start at solving this problem...it seems related to people being unable to connect to people with high pings...especially people that try to connect to a game when their ping is shown as '?' in the 'looking for a game' screen.
Page: 1 of 1