Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

2005 Top mods - Final results!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth333
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM
The final results of the 2005 Top Mods Player Polls and the staff's favourite KotOR and TSL mods are now available at StarWarsKnights.com (http://www.starwarsknights.com) (news).

Check our Featured mods page (http://www.starwarsknights.com/mod_week.php) for all the details! (don't forget to check the cool logos made by ChAiNz.2da!)

Congrats to the winners and thanks everyone for your participation!
 The Source
02-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I would like to congradualte the winners of the 'Player's' Choice award. Everyone did a great job in mod construction. For those who didn't get onto the list, you also did a great job in creating new features, addons, and skins for both games. I have played some really cool mods that did and didn't make it onto this list. Congradualations to all of you. We all should be proud of having a great community of talented modders.

As for the 'Staff' picks, shame on you all. 50% of the KotOR I mods were moderator mods, and 50% of the Sith Lord Mods were moderator mods. This was a chance for the moderators to choose from other people's mods, and you dropped the ball. You had the opportunity to show the public that a cliche' does not exist. You had the opportunity to show everyone that you considered all the deverse modders at all levels and talent.

There are hundred of modders that have done great work:
Gsccc
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Darh Insidious
Etc....

The list goes on and on... Everyone who was voted for by the people should also have been disqualified from the 'Staff' choices.

You have proven to be a biases staff.

---------------------------------------------------

2005's Staff Pics - Top KotOR Mods (6 out of 13 are moderators)
Carth Romance Fix
by cjt0202

Quest for tk102's Birthday
by Darth333 & al. (includes svцsh's hv88 blasters, Seprithro's blaster model and t7nowhere's saber models + birthday cake)
(Moderator)

Chained Force Lightning
by tk102

2 Altered Endings
by kristykistic

Ryyk Blade
by Achilles

Ebon Hawk's Workbench to a Construction Bench
by RedHawke
(Moderator)

[MECK] Enter Jabbas Palace
by Xavier2 & al.

Republic Commando: Delta Squad
by Prime
(Moderator)

Kain Sword for The Real Kain
by Oldflash

Kamino Eugenics Chamber
by RedHawke
(Moderator)

Segan Wyndh's Sabers
by ChAiNz.2da
(Moderator)

Revan's Mask+
by T7nowhere.
(Moderator)

Mekel Recruitment Mod
by Tanesh

2005's Staff Picks - Top TSL Mods (6 out of 12 were moderators)
Male / Female Master + Padawan Robes Model + UV Fix
by svцsh

Hardcore Mod
by beancounter

High Level Force Powers
by stoffe -mkb-

Ultimate Lightsaber Mod (USM)
by ChAiNz.2da, Darth333, Seprithro, svцsh, and T7nowhere.
(Moderators)

Game Balance Mod
by Achilles

Remote Tells Your Influence
by tk102

Putting the Sith Back in the Sith Lords
by Prime
(Moderators)

Floating Lightsabers Force Power
by Darth333
(Moderators)

Prestige Class Robe & Saber Pack
by RedHawke's & Maverick187
(Moderator)

Combat Simulation Arena
by stoffe -mkb-

Ceremonial Weapon Pack (melee)
by Oldflash

TSL Hack Pad
by ChAiNz.2da
(Moderator)
 Joris1
02-05-2006, 1:01 PM
Congratulations to everyone whose mod is on th featured mod site!

@ Tanesh: Dir auch herzlichen Glьckwunsch!
 Jeff
02-05-2006, 1:18 PM
As for the 'Staff' picks, shame on you all. 50% of the KotOR I mods were moderator mods, and 50% of the Sith Lord Mods were moderator mods. This was a chance for the moderators to choose from other people's mods, and you dropped the ball. You had the opportunity to show the public that a cliche' does not exist. You had the opportunity to show everyone that you considered all the deverse modders at all levels and talent.

There are hundred of modders that have done great work:
Gsccc
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Darh Insidious
Etc....

The list goes on and on... Everyone who was voted for by the people should also have been disqualified from the 'Staff' choices.

You have proven to be a biases staff.
This wasn't a "make everyone feel good about themselves" pick, it was "best mods" pick.
 The Source
02-05-2006, 1:34 PM
This wasn't a "make everyone feel good about themselves" pick, it was "best mods" pick.
Not just that...This was a chance to connect with the community. There are mods that are better than my own that deserve to be recognized. There are mods that are the best, which people have never seen or played before. If you people dag into the mods further, you would find some mods that are outstanding.

This was your chance to dig deep into the modding community. You people didn't.

There is a Mission mod, which was done with great effort and skill. I have to check the name of the modder, but they did an excellent job.

Darth Vader: Avol's
http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/15968.html)

Mission Vao: Alveron182
http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/13617.html)
http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/13695.html)
 Darth333
02-05-2006, 1:54 PM
Jeez Mac, lighten up! This is for fun! It was not an official competition with a prize in the end. What we aimed to do with that list was to make a list of people's favorite mods (edit: and we thought members would be interested to know what the staff thinks). We made that list taking into consideratioin that it's something we could use when newcomers ask for recommended mods. We tried to include different types of mods and not only reskins or models to make this list useful too.

You'd also be surprised to see how the staff avoided voting on their own mods. In fact none of us voted for their own mods. The votes were given by other staff members, not necessarily swk moderators. You have to consider that the Kotor modding community is small and most of the swk moderators are also among the most active modders. Note also that the list only includes mods made in 2005 (2004 would have been pretty much different).

Btw, the Darth Vader mod is in the player's pick list. As for the Mission mod, as nice as it can be and without debating the qualities the mod may have, it was not announced at LF by the author, which was an essential condition: we won't start scanning the entire net for mods. If PCGM wants to make their own best mods list, up to them. Edit: I also tend to vote for mods that will add something to the game play in terms of quality and enjoyment. Personally, I feel it a little weird to play TSL as Mission Vao but that's just me.

I voted for what I really like, what I use when I play a game and consider quality work. I have taken many hours to play and review the mods made in 2005 and frankly I am quite comfortable with the choices.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-05-2006, 1:56 PM
While I value your right to an opinion Mac, I'd like to make something clear...

1) We voted for our honest and personal favorites as players
2) None of us voted for our own mods
3) We were all (and still are) Modders WAY before we were "moderators".. I don't see how being a moderator has anything to do with talent or skill level as a game modder :confused:
4) We were limited to a certain amount of Mods.. trust me there were tons of mods that we couldn't include because of the sheer size of them or date created... I myself had to pick out from over 42 mods (digging back to the very first mod made in 2005 Thank You)
5) There were guidelines to be followed to rank our favorites complexity, playability, customization, depth, personal 'fun factor' etc. rather than "oh this one is kewl" :rolleyes:

So I'm sorry if you feel like we're playing favorites, trust me.. we didn't want anyone to think as such. But despite what anyone thinks.. I (and I'm sure the others) will always vote my heart rather than trying to "please the masses". I'd much rather connect to the Community through my personality and mutual respect rather than "bribing" them with an ego stroke.

So are "we" (since you're wanting to put us in cliches) not allowed to have our own opinions too? Not sure why you're trying to pitch "moderators" vs "members".. that simply isn't the case... but thanks for making something fun into a drama issue :(

and just FYI, Avol's Darth Vader made the Player's Pick Poll... glad you were paying attention :rolleyes:
 The Source
02-05-2006, 1:59 PM
You lost a potential opportunity, and you let it walk right out the door. Your loss not mine.

Edi: Added:
As moderators you represent the forums. By choosing other mods that were not created by moderators, you would have opened up a door. Your choices had to be bias. Since the moderators are employees, they should not have been on that list.

Yes, before you people were moderators you were modders. Now you are an employee.

I went through pcgamemods.com quickly, and I chose Avol's Darth Vader mod. He does deserve to be on the list. In the heat of replying to this thread, I forgot he was allready there. However, my point still stands.

You people could have done better, and you could have crossed bounderies.
 Jackel
02-05-2006, 2:30 PM
You lost a potential opportunity, and you let it walk right out the door. Your loss not mine.

Potential oppurtunity for what? Having great mods not picked just because Moderators made them? OH NOES! A moderator made a mod that got voted for. Maybe stoffe -mkb- shouldn't have had two mods in the staff picks, thats clearly "favourtism" a use of the effort she put in to them. :rolleyes:

Yes, before you people were moderators you were modders. Now you are an employee.
Hey maybe then the players themselves shouldn't have been allowed to nominate or vote for any Moderatrors mods either. That would have been totally fair. Because players are biased aswell. How dare they vote for a Moderators mod.
 The Source
02-05-2006, 2:37 PM
Potential oppurtunity for what? Having great mods not picked just because Moderators made them? OH NOES! A moderator made a mod that got voted for. Maybe stoffe -mkb- shouldn't have had two mods in the staff picks, thats clearly "favourtism" a use of the effort she put in to them. :rolleyes:

Hey maybe then the players themselves shouldn't have been allowed to nominate or vote for any Moderatrors mods either. That would have been totally fair. Because players are biased aswell. How dare they vote for a Moderators mod.

When we voted for 'Player's' choice, we were voting across the board. Otherwords, the moderator mods were voted on fairly by the 'Players'.

When the Moderator's voted, they voted 50% across the boards for themselves. 50%... If a few of them showed up on the list, less than 50% of them, then I could see how the voting wsas fair. But it was 50%. There is bias there.

Even you pointed out a second flaw.
 stoffe
02-05-2006, 2:50 PM
As for the 'Staff' picks, shame on you all. 50% of the KotOR I mods were moderator mods, and 50% of the Sith Lord Mods were moderator mods. This was a chance for the moderators to choose from other people's mods, and you dropped the ball.

Huh? So, just because what you think is a good Mod happens to be created by someone who also act as a functionary on these forums and StarWarsKnights.com in their spare time, it shouldn't be selected? That, if anything, would be biased IMHO.

In my opinion a mod should stand or fall on its own merits, not because of who has made it. The author of the mod should be irrelevant in such conciderations.

It would be laughable if a mod like USM didn't end up on the "Best of 2005" list just because half of its authors help run this site, in my opinion.

In the end these things come down to personal opinion. There's no such things as objective criteria to determine what is "best". If I was on the staff I'd feel rather insulted by such accusations of favoritism just because I voted for the mods (not people, mods) I liked the best. It's a mod award, not a modder's popularity contest.
 Joris1
02-05-2006, 3:01 PM
I agree with stoffe! These mods are great mods! If I have wanted that one of my mods comes in the poll, I could vote for it!

You see! All mods, that the users wanted to have in the poll, came into the poll. (Of course, there must be a thread on Lucas Forums)

I hope you understand my englisch!
 Mono_Giganto
02-05-2006, 3:57 PM
...Darn Mods and your conspiracies. :fist:

I hate to break it to everyone, but if there was any bias, then half of the mods in the poll would've been mine, because the Mods love me.
 The Source
02-05-2006, 4:33 PM
Since the majority is against me, I am going to let the subject drop.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and debate.

Thank You,
MacLeodCorp.
 T7nowhere
02-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Congratulations to everyone that are on the lists. Alot of work went into mods this year, not just by the modders but also our tool builders that make modding possible in the first place.

The Staff Pick's and the Player Pick's are just a small sample of all the great mods that were released in 2005 for KotOR/TSL and it's all these wonderful mods that keep players playing these games which in turn help keep these games alive, so thanks to everyone for all of those sleepless hours of diligent work building mods for these 2 great games that we all love playing so much.

To those that may be concerned about the results of the final tallies I would just like to say that both the Staff Pick's and the Player Pick's were not just thrown together willy nilly, the Staff picks alone have taken us a month to decide on. The mods we chose are the ones we ourselves enjoy and were released in Holowan/TUCE. There were several mods released only on PCGM that I would have liked to include, but we have to have boundries and the main purpose of these lists is to Support the members of this site and not the entire KotOR/TSL community.
 RedHawke
02-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Kudos to everyone who's mods made the grade. :thumbsup:

To those that may be concerned about the results of the final tallies I would just like to say that both the Staff Pick's and the Player Pick's were not just thrown together willy nilly, the Staff picks alone have taken us a month to decide on. The mods we chose are the ones we ourselves enjoy and were released in Holowan/TUCE. There were several mods released only on PCGM that I would have liked to include, but we have to have boundries and the main purpose of these lists is to Support the members of this site and not the entire KotOR/TSL community.
Quoted for emphasis! Tis the truth. ;)
 Darkkender
02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I for one am glad that none of my mods made it. In particular the [TSL]Holowan Plugin. Mostly because it was a compatibility mod of mods by other authors and myself. I would have felt horrible if it had made the list because it was the effort and works of others that made it in the first place.

With that said my Congratulations goes out to all of those whose mods made that list, and to all of the Moderators for all of there work on compiling that list and being able to be objective.
 Prime
02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
This was a chance for the moderators to choose from other people's mods, and you dropped the ball. There was no ball to be dropped. This was a chance for us to share with the community what mods we, as players, liked. This was not some opportunity to lead the modding community to enlightenment and give everyone a group hug. And if people view these things as such, that is their mistake.

You had the opportunity to show the public that a cliche' does not exist. You had the opportunity to show everyone that you considered all the deverse modders at all levels and talent.It was an opportunity to share what mods we liked. The end.

You have proven to be a biases staff.You have proven to have gotten way too bent out of shape over a silly list.

Not just that...This was a chance to connect with the community.What does that mean? As moderators, we are providing a service, no acting as leaders of a feel-good club. It is not our responsibility to make every person who graces Holowan Labs have the warm fuzzies. We try to make a friendly community because that is what we personally want.

There are mods that are the best, which people have never seen or played before. If you people dag into the mods further, you would find some mods that are outstanding.Sure. There are probably hundreds. We picked the ones that we as players liked. If you want to compile a list of what you think we should like, I will post it for you.

You lost a potential opportunity, and you let it walk right out the door. Your loss not mine.And what do we lose exactly?

You may be surprised to learn that we moderators are not here to lead the KOTOR modding community to a higher plain of existence. And if a modder needs recognition to want to mod, they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

As moderators you represent the forums. By choosing other mods that were not created by moderators, you would have opened up a door. For what?

Your choices had to be bias. Since the moderators are employees, they should not have been on that list.Make your own list and you can apply whatever criteria you like. Having seen the process first hand, I know for a fact that there wasn't the bias you imply. It just so happens that I think that some of the mods made by moderators kick ass.

Yes, before you people were moderators you were modders. Now you are an employee.Thanks for the heads up that I am no longer a modder. I was unaware that I went through a transformation now that I can close threads. I act as a moderator because I want to assist the community. I didn't know that be doing so I was exiling myself from it. :rolleyes:

You people could have done better, and you could have crossed bounderies.Or we could have just picked the mods we liked as players, which we did.
 The Source
02-06-2006, 2:13 PM
I have to extend an apology to the moderators for my misunderstanding. I was under the assumption that since the 'Players' chose moderator mods to apear in our poll. the Staff Picks were to choose the best from everyone elses. I missunderstood the intention of the 'Staff' Picks. As I re-read all the threads releated, I realized I made an embarassing error.

***Face turns red, and pride is slightly damaged.***
*** Hides head in shame.***
 Jackel
02-06-2006, 2:27 PM
At least you had the *cough* "gall" to admit your mistake and apologise. Some wouldn't have. Shows a real modder. Nice one mate.
Page: 1 of 1