Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Demo: my thoughts

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
01-18-2006, 7:23 PM
After just over a year of waiting for this moment, having rushed back from London (uploading the demo as we speak as well!) I have to say that I am extremely pleased.

The camera controls are neat and I like how it zooms right into 3d when you go right in. However, the only thing i dont like about the camera control is having to use Control plus your scroll mouse button at times - its a pain. Rome Total war just lets you go straight into the 3d mode by holding down the scroll mouse button and then rotating your mouse to the desired position.

I like the overall zoom out as well, during combat - excellent, so you can get a complete over view of the map.

Hero problem?
In the Galactic map mode, I sent Han and Chewie to the required planet to steal credits (great idea), however, I shortly conquered the planet but cant seem to recall Han/Chewie anymore. Bug or demo thing?

The controls work extremely well and the space combat is just jaw-dropping (raise a hand if you get lost in Cinematic mode and forget about the orders?! *raises hand*)

Ground battles are extremely fun.Although not in the same league as say Dawn Of War(in graphical terms), but having reinforcement points means that you really need to be on the attack asap, just like in Dawn Of War. Bombing runs are cool, although for some reason the Rebel bombing run didnt destroy as much as the Imperial one in the tutorial. The Empire have a turbo laser tower and it was damaged by half, whereas the Imperials managed to take out two factories in their run.

The Galactic map works well. Zooming in/out is cool and throws up alot of information on what you can or cant build there. You dont really notice the pop caps when building or attacking

Overall, its a good demo. it gets you into the action quickly and the key word is accessible....and its most certainly that.

Most certainly worth the wait, roll on the full game

Early thoughts and with so much to do/play still..i need more time! lol

DMUK
 Cox_
01-18-2006, 8:39 PM
Han and Chewi seem to "go away" and reappear later. I thought the demo was extremly limited but i can make it work. :D
 DarthMaulUK
01-18-2006, 8:52 PM
Yeah. typical, i make the post, then they reappear. Probably falcon problems lol

DMUK
 jake123456
01-18-2006, 9:54 PM
what does outo-detect do in the video options, and what does it show you after you use auto-detect?
 Sithxace
01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I felt that the galactic map is amazing and space battles are too. Beautiful. But the fact i cant go all out and land all my troops in in the ground mission bugged me. Dunno, the ground battles just feel too C&C not enough Starwars. To arcadish i believe.
 rut-wa jodar
01-19-2006, 3:24 AM
I was disappointed that some vehicles/spacecraft are not correctly scaled.
 Demiurge13
01-19-2006, 4:03 AM
After just over a year of waiting for this moment, having rushed back from London (uploading the demo as we speak as well!) I have to say that I am extremely pleased.

The camera controls are neat and I like how it zooms right into 3d when you go right in. However, the only thing i dont like about the camera control is having to use Control plus your scroll mouse button at times - its a pain. Rome Total war just lets you go straight into the 3d mode by holding down the scroll mouse button and then rotating your mouse to the desired position.

i'm curious what you mean by the ctrl and scroll mouse button? does that give you the rotating ability for x and z axis? cause i felt the camera was too restrictive. i can only zoom and scroll left-right, up-down. I tried looking for a way but couldn't find any, ctrl plus mouse scroll didn't do anything except the regular mouse scroll zoom...
 Kurgan
01-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Reminds me a lot of Emperor: Battle for Dune, which I'm told reminds people a lot of C&C, for some reason. ;) But I stopped playing the demo because I couldn't win it for some reason (see my post in the main forum).
 lukeiamyourdad
01-20-2006, 1:42 PM
Dunno, the ground battles just feel too C&C not enough Starwars. To arcadish i believe.

I got the same impression I think. Infantry walks very slowly also. I was expecting more epic ground battles. Space is awesome though.
 Thrawn
01-20-2006, 4:54 PM
I do like how your groups of units will stay together when they move.

Also, for the Han and Chewie thing, I believe they're on a timer. If you look up in the top right hand part of the screen, you'll see them recharging before they can rejoin your fleet.
 Jmaster3265
01-20-2006, 5:53 PM
Why were Jawas on Ryloth? Thats what i would like to know, thats inaccurate...;)
 reelguy227
01-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Did anyone feel that the hero units were too powerful ?
Page: 1 of 1