Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Individual On/Off Saber Sounds for KOTOR

Page: 1 of 1
 Shem
01-11-2006, 2:54 PM
Title: Individual On/Off Saber Sounds
Author: Shem
Date Released: 1/11/06

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/18269.html)

Description: What this does is changes the lightsaber sound that comes out of each type of lightsaber. The standard single bladed lightsaber makes the traditional sound of Sith Lords when it is turned on. The double-bladed lightsaber makes the traditional sound of Luke Skywalker's in Return of the Jedi. The short lightsaber makes an alternate sound of Luke Skywalker's in Return of the Jedi. This sound is only used once in the Star Wars Saga. The scene in which you can hear this rare sound is when Luke freaks out about Vader suggesting Leia going over to the Dark Side. Also, each different type of lightsaber has their own individual off sound as I thought fit for each.

Here is the reason why I chose to pick each different sound for each different type of lightsaber. For the most part in both KOTOR games, Sith Lord bosses use a single bladed lightsaber (Darth Malak, Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Traya). There is an exception with Darth Bandon using a double-bladed lightsaber. So chose to use the Sith Lord on sound for the single blade. I chose Luke's on sound for double-bladed because it is a popular lightsaber people like to use, and the Luke Saber On sound that I have released for both games is my most popular saber on sound file I have released. Plus it does mix up the sounds really well when party members use the different types of lightsabers. I also chose Luke's alternate on sound for the short lightsaber is because it's probably in general the least used lightsaber in the KOTOR games. In that case, it's rare to hear a short lightsaber to turn on, which like I pointed out earlier, the sound I used was only used once in the Star Wars Saga. A good example to test this out with this mod is to face off against the Dark Jedi partys on Tatooine and Kashyyyk. The ones who tell you that Lord Malak was most displeased when you left Taris alive. You will hear all three different sounds go off.

If you are wondering why I didn't put the Sith sound with all the Sith lightsabers, and the Jedi sounds with the Jedi lightsabers, I'll explain. The reason is the game doesn't work the way the Jedi Knight games work. There is a complex way to use the sounds differently if you really want to. A good way to see this work is to check out Redhawke's booster mod packs in KOTOR. He made Revan's lightsaber Malak size and Revan's short lightsaber standard size. If you were to use one of the Revan short lightsabers and face off with Malak in the final duel, Malak's lightsaber would make a Sith on sound, and Revan's would make the alternate Luke on sound, and both would appear to be single bladed lightsabers. It would all about changing the .mdl and .mdx model files for the lightsabers if you want to get more complex about what makes what type of sound when turning off and on.

If you want to change the way each type of lightsaber turns on, just change the .wav file names. In this mod, I have set the "cb_ls_powerup.wav" is the Sith one. The "cb_ls_powerup1.wav" is the Luke one, and the "cb_ls_powerup2.wav" is the alternate on. The same principle applies to the off sounds. I figured I can't please everybody in which sounds I chose for each type of lightsaber, so I knew it would be best to give instructions on how to simply change each type to try to make everybody as happy as possible.

This mod also uses the "baseitems.2da" file. This means if there is any mod out there that you are using that is using that file, you will need to merge them. I edited lines 8, 9, and 10 for this mod.
 Darth333
01-11-2006, 3:03 PM
JediShemL: since this mod uses the baseitems.2da file why don't you use stoffe's tsl patcher to make your mod compatible? It would take an additional 5 minutes to do.
 Shem
01-11-2006, 3:11 PM
JediShemL: since this mod uses the baseitems.2da file why don't you use stoffe's tsl patcher to make your mod compatible? It would take an additional 5 minutes to do.

You know, I just starting hearing about this TSL patcher. I read about it yesterday. I have been gone for almost a month on a vacation, so I probably missed the big news if it was released while I was gone. I also just checked for Stoffe's mods on PCGM's and I didn't see it there. Could someone provide a link to his mod.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-11-2006, 3:13 PM
You know, I just starting hearing about this TSL patcher. I read about it yesterday. I have been gone for almost a month on a vacation, so I probably missed the big news if it was released while I was gone. I also just checked for Stoffe's mods on PCGM's and I didn't see it there. Could someone provide a link to his mod.

http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) :D
 Shem
01-11-2006, 3:40 PM
http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) :D

Just downloaded it and view it. This is going to take some time for me to work with and figure out how to use it since the format is new to me.

As for the mods that I released today. Only once in both KOTOR games have I come across a mod that I desired to download (which are many) that have a baseitems.2da file involved, and that is the USM. So for the most part, I believe that my mods probably won't give anybody any trouble.
 Jeff
01-11-2006, 5:21 PM
I highly recommend you use it. I've used it for all my mods since it has been released and it makes it a ton easier for mod installing.

Great job though, I currently use your Luke sounds so this should add some variety :thumbsup:

EDIT: Didn't see the newer version you posted with USM compatibility, good job on that.
 mattyvirgo
01-18-2008, 3:34 PM
did these files every get realeased with the patcher or did shem incorporate them into his ultimate sound mod which means i already have this.
 Shem
01-18-2008, 3:46 PM
did these files every get realeased with the patcher or did shem incorporate them into his ultimate sound mod which means i already have this.All the sounds from this mod are in the Ultimate Sound Mod.
Page: 1 of 1