Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New NPC Dialogue Trouble

Page: 1 of 1
 Yesh
01-10-2006, 3:11 PM
I am trying to make a recruitable npc to aid the exile for a short time on peragus. I followed the NPC tutorial and managed to attach the recruit script no problem. However, I wanted to actually talk to the character and recruit them. So I used the whereami band, and used the script provided and had the npc spawn after talking to atton. Again no problem. But when I speak to the npc, i'm speaking to kreia. This leads me to believe my error is either in who I replaced or my inexperience with dialogue editing. I simply want a quick hello to the exile from the npc and a sure i'll join you which will launch the addon script and that'll be that. So any help is appreciated.
 The_Maker
01-10-2006, 3:30 PM
Did you make sure the speaker tag says your npc's tag? So it doesn't say Kreia? If it does then that could be your problem.
 Yesh
01-10-2006, 3:47 PM
The speaker tag is the npc's.
 Darth InSidious
01-10-2006, 5:45 PM
In the .utc, did you set the dialogue to whatever your NPC is? Or did you leave it as it was? If the second choice, then your dialogue isn't selected for that NPC, change that field and it should work.

If this NPC is only going to be on Peragus (and not going to join you on the Ebon Hawk), you can use a custom tag, as well as resref. That might also help.
 Yesh
01-10-2006, 6:26 PM
in the utc file the conversation has the name of the dialogue file. How would i go about using a custom tag and resref?
 Yesh
01-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok after rechecking everything i found in the utc the scripts had a krieadialogue. I put in k_hen_dialogue01. But now I have a new problem. Clicking on the npc, nothing happens. Now they won't talk at all.
 Razorfish.8
01-11-2006, 1:40 PM
Ok after rechecking everything i found in the utc the scripts had a krieadialogue. I put in k_hen_dialogue01. But now I have a new problem. Clicking on the npc, nothing happens. Now they won't talk at all.
Try using k_def_dialogue01 instead (should, by default, launch whatever dlg is specified in the character's conversation field) or creating a custom dlg launching script to use in that OnDialogue event (see any of the k_hen_<partymember>dlg.nss files in scripts.bif for examples).
 Yesh
01-11-2006, 5:49 PM
I tried k_def_dialogue01 and nothing happened when i clicked the npc.
 Darth333
01-11-2006, 6:17 PM
Can you open your .utc file with a gff editor, take a screenie and post it here?
 Yesh
01-11-2006, 6:38 PM
Here's a few views of the npc that the exile talks to and a picture of the npc the exile recruits

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/5360/beforerecruited1ua.jpg)
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1867/recruitednpc1ff.jpg)
 Yesh
01-12-2006, 4:05 PM
would a screenshot of the dialogue help also?
 Darth333
01-12-2006, 4:21 PM
The first one looks ok. If it's not your ceruited character, make sure you change all the scripts to k_def_blabla (check another .utc file. I can't give you all the details right now)

Your dialogue has to be named: dia_azaln.dlg

In the second screenie, it looks ok except the conversation field is empty.

If this doesn't work, then yes, a screenie of your .dlg or the .dlg itself would help.
 Yesh
01-12-2006, 5:35 PM
 Yesh
01-13-2006, 9:20 PM
I've been over this problem all day. I've tried every edit available. I downloaded Achille's mendah recruit and looked at both the utc and dialogue. I have no clue what is causing the problem. If I zip up the files, would someone be willing to take a look?
 Darth333
01-13-2006, 9:33 PM
You can send them to me but I won't be able to have a look at them before Sunday.
 stoffe
01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4315/dialogue8lv.jpg)

The DLG Editor in that screenshot is set to KotOR1 mode and not TSL mode as far as I can see (all the TSL specific fields are missing from the interface). Don't know if that could cause any trouble of this kind, but it might be worth a try to set it to the proper game. :)
 Yesh
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM
when I checked the mod, it had tsl checked. So I don't know if that's what you mean, bu t it looks like it was on tsl.
Page: 1 of 1