Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

someone is puffin a bong in the blue casket

Page: 1 of 1
 da horror
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Hello everybody, i am new to the forum and from germany, so excuse me for my bad english.
Yesterday i realized, that in the blue casket you can hear someone smokin a bong.
Sorry, thought perhaps it could be interesting and funny,

...viva la beatniks

then last a question:
depends the kind of flowers, wich comes up when someone is sprouded (sorry for my bad english once again), on the kind of person, means:
A nice persons gets roses,
A bad guy gets sunflowers for example

because the don said something like i expected blalaflower when he shot the chef of domino and manny at the dod
 Shuz
01-05-2006, 5:44 AM
Hahaha, I'll have to check out the Blue casket again and have a listen.

I didn't really notice the flowers. But it's probably true.

BTW your english isn't that bad. I wish I could speak another language as well as you do.
 VampireNaomi
01-05-2006, 9:39 AM
I think Hector's exact words were something along the line of "For some reason I was expecting [insert flower here]." I think it indicates that he thought that whateve her was expecting suited Don's personality. So that would indicate that the flowers are determined by your personality, as you said.

However, what I find more likely is that the different flowers are caused by the sproutella. Perhaps there are many "flavours"? After all, Salvador and Olivia were sprouted with the same sproutella, and they both got red flowers even though one was noble and one was evil. Also, Manny was sprouted by slow acting sproutella and got a blue flower. Lola's death took really long compared to Don Copal (so it's safe to bet that she also was shot with the slow stuff) and she got blue flowers as well.

Or perhaps there is no formula at all and it depends on what mood the animators were in at the moment. Who knows?

And don't worry about your English! Es ist zweimal besser als mein Deutsch! :D
 Thrik
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
I was thinking it was down to the original sproutella rather than the victim too.
 Klia
01-05-2006, 3:25 PM
Hector's line involved tulips I believe.

When I heard the line I just thought he expected that the package he got was tulips.

However since it is not clearly defined one could take it that it depends on the person's personality...which makes the death ; dare I say it... "romantic" in a sense.
 JofaGuht
01-09-2006, 2:34 AM
"hmmm...marigolds. For some reason I was expecting tulips." I believe was the line. Though "Blalaflower" is my new favorite word.

I don't know. What flowers were Lola?

As for the bong thing, I'm not doubting that there was a time in Tim Schafer's life where he was a "psychonaut" ;).
 VampireNaomi
01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't know what exact flower Lola got, but it was the same as Manny, as evidenced here (http://mazoo.net/quest/lola.jpg) and here. (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/VampireNaomi/mannysprouted.jpg)

Any florists around?
 El Virus
01-09-2006, 3:47 PM
I always thought those were vio (http://scd.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/330214066)lets) (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/5p_pwy_pansies.jpg/200px-5p_pwy_pansies.jpg) or a mixture between those and phlo (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Phlox_douglasii0.jpg/240px-Phlox_douglasii0.jpg)xes) (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0a/FlowerPhlox.jpg/180px-FlowerPhlox.jpg).

As for the question, the first time I played it I thought that it had to do with the personality of the person; but after some re-plays I now believe that it has to do with the type of Sproutella (The fact that everyone in the field had the same flower made me wonder).There must be some hidden simbolysm, though.
Bowsley seemed to have messed the type of ammuntion several times, so I guess Hector's comment had to do with it.
 Paranoidish
01-15-2006, 9:26 AM
I beleive you guys have really good theories on why, but could it be due to what day it was? I beleive Don got sprouted on the Dia de los Muertos; the day of the Dead. Yellow Marigolds are very symbolic during this period and are offered to dead loved ones. The scent is believed to attract the souls of the dead and bring them back.

But if that is true, the flowers only pushed Don further away from existence. (I have no clue what happens to the person after they get sprouted). And also, why would Tim Schaffer use flowers as a sign of death within death when in the Mexican tradition it is believed to bring them closer to the land of the living?

And doesn't anyone find it funny that on Dia de Los Muertos they honor the dead with candy calaveras (I've had one...not too good), pan de muertos (also a bit tasteless), cempazuchitl (yellow marigolds), and poems about the afterlife. All of these were present in the game.

And I don't want to sound like a snob pushing all this information on the board. I wouldn't even know half of this stuff if it wasn't for my Spanish teacher incessantly hammering this into my memory. Oh, and a little trip over to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_dead) didn't hurt.
 VampireNaomi
01-15-2006, 9:57 AM
Everybody was shot on the Day of the Dead because that's the day when the events of all years take place. At least the first two, but I don't see why the last two would be any different.

You aren't being a snob at all. Your post included some info that I hadn't known before (like the meaning of flowers in Mexican tradition) and everything related to Grim Fandango is worth knowing. If you have any other details, go on and share them with us!
 Paranoidish
01-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Everybody was shot on the Day of the Dead because that's the day when the events of all years take place. At least the first two, but I don't see why the last two would be any different.

You aren't being a snob at all. Your post included some info that I hadn't known before (like the meaning of flowers in Mexican tradition) and everything related to Grim Fandango is worth knowing. If you have any other details, go on and share them with us!

Oh, I would love to. Unfortunatly that's all I know of the Day of the Dead off the top of my head. Although, I could do more research but I'm afraid that wouldn't yield much more results. I guess, if I really wanted to I could hitch a plane over to Mexico and go see what it is like. :)
 VampireNaomi
01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
I guess, if I really wanted to I could hitch a plane over to Mexico and go see what it is like.

We could all go and have a huge Grim Fandango convention on the Day of the Dead! :)
 Paranoidish
01-15-2006, 1:22 PM
We could all go and have a huge Grim Fandango convention on the Day of the Dead! :)

Haha, all five of us that is. (Just joking).

I'm actually quite fascinated with Spanish/Mexican culture. It seems quite livley and spirited as compared to sometimes pessimistic views over where I am in America. Out or during college I was thinking of taking a trip over there, if nothing more than to expand my knowledge of the Spanish language. (But don't ask me to speak any for you. I'm very particular about it and am nowhere near good enough to speak fluently or make any sense at all.)

That or go to Italy. I'm a sucker for architecture.
 Rubacava
03-06-2006, 6:57 AM
We could all go and have a huge Grim Fandango convention on the Day of the Dead!

Lets! Lets! Lets! Okay, so were all in different countries and such... but uh... lets do so anyway! somehow!

And I seriously doubt that there is illegal drug use going on in there. :/
 Shuz
03-07-2006, 4:27 AM
And I seriously doubt that there is illegal drug use going on in there. :/

C'mon everyone smokes in the Land of the Dead, it only makes sense that the beatnik types would add a little wacky to their tabaccy ;)
 Santiago C.
03-07-2006, 7:22 PM
I been absent for a long time, but Iґm back!
I didnґt notice the bong in the blue casket, nor the flowers detail. But I think Iґm going to play it for the fifth time to get some good details.
 Klia
03-12-2006, 11:34 AM
This thread amuses me greatly. Some people have taken it upon themselves to research and come up with explanations on someone "puffin a bong".

And isn't this board like a mini convention of Grim Fandango-just digitally?
 grimfan
03-29-2006, 6:50 AM
C'mon everyone smokes in the Land of the Dead, it only makes sense that the beatnik types would add a little wacky to their tabaccy ;)

Haa I definately agree. But also keep in mind it could be the sound of a hookah (them thing the caterpillar smokes in Alice In Wonderland). For some reason I associate a hooker more with these beatniks than a bong.
 Shuz
03-30-2006, 5:32 AM
Ah yes maybe a hookah (or shisha). But it still doesn't stop them from smoking weed :P
 grimfan
04-04-2006, 8:34 AM
Ah yes maybe a hookah (or shisha). But it still doesn't stop them from smoking weed :P

Ofcourse. They are beatniks ofcourse. Another point to note is the fact that if you examine the dirty sink water Manny says "It's dirty hookah water" :)
 Shuz
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
oh god of course! I never even thought of that
 retroman3000
04-28-2006, 6:57 AM
ahah
I wish someone went upto Manny and said "I dare you to drink it"
 shadow_judge
06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I wonder how will the victims be after being sprouted???? Forever stayed in this "middle-world"? (I said t to myself it's middle because it's the place between heaven - hell - Earth).

The idea about flower in GF was very creative! I wonder how is the world inside Tim Schafer? Won't hurt if I jump into his mind like Raz? Teeheehee
 stewlil
06-07-2007, 3:33 PM
lol who cares about the flowers?! theyre just flowers!!
 stewlil
06-07-2007, 3:34 PM
oh and also arent the body's in the morgue and the sailors ones like a mixture of em? Just trying to throw you off!
 lipton
06-08-2007, 6:40 PM
about the bong thing (which the thred was originally about :) ) you can see a .mat file in the year 2 file cabinet named "bong"
 Du Man
07-14-2007, 2:49 PM
my theory (or from what I remember hearing in game) for what happens when they get sprouted is that they do complete their journey in the underworld, being sent directly to the 9th underworld, but in a very painful way as opposed to just walking there.

However i'm more considered about what happens when you break a bone or get grounded up like Domino did. Do you get sprouted, or are you forever trapped in a lifeless pile of dust in the afterlife?
 VampireNaomi
07-14-2007, 4:14 PM
I like to think that people who get sprouted/destroyed don't make it to the end of the line, but I have nothing to back that up. It just makes Salvador's sacrifice and Lola's fate seem so much more tragic, and I like that.
 Thrik
07-14-2007, 4:41 PM
Yeah, I don't think those who undergo severe trauma make it through. You've never really ending the journey, and it'd nullify the whole concept of getting through in four hours or roughly four years, etc, if they did make it. One of the key points in the game seems to be that you have to physically go through that temple to end the journey.

Incidentally, another example to consider is the huge amount of people that make up the beaver dam in the forest. You can clearly see a lot of them them with horrified expressions on their faces and such, but they obviously aren't still 'alive', nor sprouted.

Whether these guys are actually completely dead or are simply paralysed is up for debate since as we know one of the LSA agents managed to keep going just fine with most of his body missing. :D
 Du Man
07-14-2007, 7:14 PM
further speculating, what does happen to someone sprouted/grinded? Do they get reincarnated? Do they restart their journy? Or do they really do die, making the Land of the Dead more like a second chance at life?

Plus I always thought the 9th underworld wasn't particularly a heaven or a place to strive for, but rather the enivitable resting place of souls, and the Land of the Dead was just a place where you pay off your wrongs until you experience all the pain and suffering you gave onto others. That way, when everyone truely rests in peace in the 9th underworld, they're all on equal footing, kind of leaving the world the way they came into it.

For me, I'd like to believe the difference in paying your debt verses getting sprouted/grinded is that in the latter you feel all that pain in one instant, plus your chance of living a second "life" again in the land of the dead is cut short.
 Thrik
07-14-2007, 7:33 PM
You might want to read an older discussion we had about what happens when you sprout:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=166759)

Includes Salvador's vivid description of the process of actually becoming sprouted. :(
Page: 1 of 1