Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool.......For linux

Page: 1 of 1
 madog
01-02-2006, 1:35 AM
will it ever be real?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-02-2006, 1:39 AM
Check this article. (http://www.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/04/04/16/1755236.shtml) However, if Fred Tetra has no objections, I may be able to write some of the resource extraction/editing parts of KT in C++/Qt and release it for Linux/Mac/Unix.
 madog
01-04-2006, 10:54 PM
sweet
 Sikon
01-08-2006, 2:04 AM
Did anyone actually manage to install it under Linux?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-08-2006, 3:22 PM
I doubt it will work, even the Linux version of .NET probably wouldn't support KT, as I think that only 'System' namespaces are supported with it, and KT uses a the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace to locate the KotOR directories via the registry. I'll try it today though.
 Jeff
01-08-2006, 7:42 PM
I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again ;)
 Sikon
01-09-2006, 12:56 AM
How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?
 RedHawke
01-09-2006, 1:19 AM
How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?
Are you volenteering? :xp:

Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.
 Sikon
01-09-2006, 2:57 AM
Actually, I am. However, I'm planning to make a set of tools using a shared library for archive access, instead of one big program. And make it open source, of course. I don't see anything difficult about it, as the formats are well-documented. The only question is time.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.
The website says 1100.

I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again
I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .
 Sikon
01-09-2006, 1:29 PM
By the way, there's a nice project on SourceForge:
http://sf.net/projects/openknights)
It's for NWN, but I think most tools will work with KOTOR as well.
Edit: scratch that, they're for Windows... although having source code for nwnnsscomp is nice, nice.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-09-2006, 5:30 PM
^^^^
You could have gotten that at Torlack's site (the guy who wrote it, along with the original NWN tools, ie the NWN Explorer). It's http://torlack.com) .
 Sikon
01-09-2006, 8:42 PM
That site provides only Windows binaries. At least I couldn't find the sources.
 rgdelta
01-09-2006, 8:46 PM
It is the link on the left called NWN Tools Source
 madog
01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .

Gimp is better anyway
 Darkkender
02-01-2006, 1:12 PM
I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.
 Sikon
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM
First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.
 Darkkender
02-03-2006, 1:17 PM
First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.

I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.

As to refering to WINE as WINE is because I have seen it in many forms in it's releases, readme's, and across the web which include;
Wine
W.I.N.E.
WINE
WinE
So I have adopted WINE as my way of referencing it.(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)
 Jeff
02-03-2006, 3:36 PM
I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.
I would love you if you could get it running under linux.
 Sikon
02-04-2006, 10:14 AM
http://www.winehq.com/)
"Wine" is official.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Can we please drop the "WINE" / "Wine" debate?! Frankly, it doesn't matter as long as someone knows what the heck you're talking about..

(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)^^^
agreed ;)

and if you'd like to get technical.. it's spelled "Wine" but their logo is in all caps :rolleyes:

You're both 'right' :xp: end of discussion...
 Det. Bart Lasiter
02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.
That may be just because you got .NET IL to run on Linux, however, the 'Microsoft' namespaces use Windows API-specific features that may not be able to be duplicated, and I know KT uses at least the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace.
Page: 1 of 1