Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is it possible to edit the names of AI units?

Page: 1 of 1
 EmperorJello
12-30-2005, 2:41 AM
This is more of a cosmetic question, but I really liked how the Republic units use Greek letters to designate themselves. It reminded me of the game TIE Fighter, where Imperial squadrons did the same. I was wondering if it was possible to get the game to use the same naming scheme for Imperials?
 THX1138_Scorpio
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
"TK-421 why aren't you at your post"

They got the Imperial naming system from the movies, it's the most accurate names out of all the 4 factions, why would you want to change that?
 EmperorJello
01-18-2006, 6:25 AM
It's arbitrary--those were serial numbers, but in a combat situation, it'd make more sense to use a proper unit designation. In a single unit, there might be thousands of different numerical permutations--it's far more sensible to use a unit-based system. TIE demonstrated, after all, that despite the fact that pilots had serial numbers, they were identified by their position in the unit. Those units used Greek letters.
 Lord Herman
03-08-2006, 9:52 AM
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but does anyone know the answer to the OP's question? I'd like some more varied names for rebel units, but I have no idea where those names are stored (and if they can be edited).
 zerted
03-08-2006, 1:35 PM
Yes, you can change them. You need to download and install the patch and mod tools.

Read the Getting Started guide of the mod tools. Now make yourself a map. Run editlocalize.bat from your map directory. You can now edit almost every string (including AI names) in the game. Munge (its in the Getting Started guide) your changed language files and copy them into the game (backup your old ones first).
 Lord Herman
03-08-2006, 2:43 PM
Thanks a lot! Now to download those mod tools... again. Should have known better than to delete them right after my first attempt at making a map failed :p
 artyartyartemis
04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey guys im having problems with the munge. So I make my map and stuff right, I save it and munge it, but when I start the game and go to my map, I get to the point when i spawn and it crashes! CAN SOMEONE PLZ WITH AWARD RIFLES ON TOP HELP ME?!?!?!?!?!
 zerted
04-22-2006, 4:52 PM
You have a problem with your map. Something link a unit or objuect wasn't included correctly, or you made an error in the lua.
Page: 1 of 1