Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TSL: Mods conflict with game performance?

Page: 1 of 1
 Svancara
12-22-2005, 12:13 PM
greetz all,

i've installed various mods in my Override folder, but lately I encounter weird issues... the problem is that my game lags after loading a video or loading a new area.. i've read the Ati catalyst/dantooine issue but I don't think this is the problem.

So my question is if it's true mods can conflict with game performance?
the weird thing is, after going to my graphic options and ticking off and back on certain options the game runs smooth again.
Also it multiply resets it's brightness (even more than usual)

anything sound familiar?
thx

My specs:

Windows XP + SP2
P4 3.06 gig
1024 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Drivers: Omega 2.6.75a
 jmac7142
12-22-2005, 2:39 PM
Well, it's not the mods that do that. However, you can reduce it to almost no slowdown by accelerating the DLL loading on your computer. You can do this by downloading TuneXP 1.5 (you can get it from download.com), then selecting 'Accelerate DLL Loading' under the 'Memory and file system' menu. There are also various other tweaks you can enable with TuneXP that may improve your game performance as well, such as the 'Improve NTFS Performance' option, which should be your file system if Windows was installed on your computer with in the last 2 or three years.
 Svancara
12-22-2005, 5:19 PM
I just downloaded it, i'll give it a try :)

edit: nice little program...unfortunatly it didn't solve my problem :( I guess it's the game itself...or the mods..but I would find that strange..
 jmac7142
12-22-2005, 5:28 PM
It does that on mine too with twin OC'd 7800 GTX 512's and an OC'd FX-55 with 4 Gb of RAM, and I've tried it without mods, so it must just be the game; however the accelerated DLL loading did reduce the slowdown, if only slightly.
 Svancara
12-22-2005, 5:36 PM
I never had this issue before, it's only when I started downloading mods that i've had a problem.. this was also pre-SP2..but I can't imagine that would still give a problem

also obvious explanation would be that TuneXP has targetted my C drive, while the game is installed to a diffirent drive... so it might be obvious why the program hasnt helped..because the game isn't associated with Windows
right?
 jmac7142
12-22-2005, 6:34 PM
It doesn't affect the individual DLL files, just how Windows loads them into memory.
 The Source
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey Svancara! :)
Unfortunately, it could very well be a mod problem. If you have alot of mods in your 'Overrride' Folder, your game could crash. Since KotOR II relies on the hardrive, CD, and graphics card, the hardrive is the most important resource that needs to be freed. Check you mods folder, and see how many mods you have installed. If you have a large amount of mods, your computer is suffering from accessing the hardrive too many times. Regardless about what your base RAM is, the computers needs to be freed up, so it can perfomr multiple tasks. Come back and let us know! :)
Page: 1 of 1