Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Newbie struggling to mod TSL!

Page: 1 of 1
 GrandMaster
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Sorry if this is a total repeat of other threads!!! I am a total newbie to this modding thing! In fact pretty much totally new to the internet/downloading stuff at the moment! But now that im finally online im looking forward to making TSL a bit different! I wanted to start with a couple of simple PC mods but seems i can't even manage that! d'oh! i managed to get Sciamano's Anakin Skywalker V3.0 (ep III) mod to work and i also wanted to get the Obi Wan by Sciamanos as well but it seems to use the same charcter, ("This mod will substitute the PMHC06 face and portrait with an Obi's for Kotor2 TSL (even with dark side transitions)"). Now i managed to get KT downloaded but im having trouble understanding how to work it, bearing in mind i'm a total novice i would really appreciate a step by step guide with somebody patient to help a keen learner! :) Also along the same lines i downloaded a saber mod that uses the cheat lines so i added the .ini. line but cheats still wont work! Please help im going insane thinking of all the variations i could be playing if it wasn't for my dumb anti computer brain not working!!!! :firemad:
Thanks in advance
 Darth333
12-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Did you read the tutorial I pointed you at? If so, tell us what you don't understand in it.

Read the Kotor tool instructions from the help menu too.

The cheat console is invisible so just make sure you make no typo and it should be ok. If it doesn't work, you can get KSE from our website: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)
 GrandMaster
12-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I have downloaded KT and i can open up the TSL appearance.2da files but thats where i am stuck it says something about copying one line to another? and how do you open up the actual mod with KT it doesnt appear in the file menu? i think thats it i should fingers crossed be able to work it out from there if you could just give me a nudge (or large push) in the right direction!!
 Darth333
12-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Tools>Open .2da editor and then you browse to the modified file.
 GrandMaster
12-22-2005, 1:00 PM
Should it come up with a complete list of the characters as well? Like TSL appearance file! i only get 2 options :load 2DA v2.b file or load 2DA v2.b(XML) file. Is this right? also the obi wan mod i want to use is only in Truevision TGA image does this mean anything? as in have i missed something? Sorry to be a pain in the backside i really appreciate the help!!
 GrandMaster
12-23-2005, 8:14 AM
I've been scouting around and i have found thread by Achilles which kinda puts modding into simple enough terms for me, not quite what i was looking for in terms of conflicting mods but good for starting my own! :clap2: Anywaythe link is: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129450) i think i did that right? i got to the stage of finding the crystal g_w_sbrcrstlxx.uti but it doesnt appear in the file! Is this because it is KOTOR1 code? I am using TSL so would u_l_crysxx.uti or qcrystal_x_x.uti be the ones to use? x is a number btw! :)
 Darth333
12-23-2005, 9:54 AM
For the .2da files, select load 2DA v2.b . Don't be afraid to experiment. You'll learn a lot by trial and error.

You will find all the crystal descriptions and the codes on our website: http://www.starwarsknights.com/itempages/crystals.php). The qcrystal_x_x.uti are the "personal" crystals.
 GrandMaster
12-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the help i'll have a go and see where i get! I'm judt worried that by messing about i'm going to make the game unplayable so im a bit dubious but i guess if i do screw it up i can just reinstall it!!! I have one more question achilles says in his walkthrough that you need "Tpc2Tga.exe – Simple executable that will allow KT to automatically convert game images to convertible format" could you please point me in the right direction for this!!!! :) Once again thanks for the help i think im gonna enjoy modding this game it seems like there are unlimited thigs you can do to TSL!!! :noel:
 Darth333
12-23-2005, 3:38 PM
Don't worry you won't mess you game with this: you are not replacing any original files. You'll just have to delete your files from the override folder if you mess out.

YOu don't need tpc2tga anymore. Kotor tool does all that now. Double click on your texture file and from the image viewer, select "write file". Check this tutorial: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144809)
 GrandMaster
12-24-2005, 10:11 AM
ok another 2 questions (i know, the last question was the last but there are always more!) I think i have got the hang of editing the.2da files you basically open up the modified one then copy the files down at the bottom (line 671 onwards?) then open the other modified file a copy them across and away you go! But! i tried to download some of sciamanos' pc's and they are all TGA files so i cant get them to appear on the 2da editor is there a way to do this? Now for my second problem,i am also still trying, in vain, to create my lightsaber. I read your last response and looked at the link and went through achilles lesson but i still cant get the files to transfer to my folder properly i get an error message saying that windows cant find the file i opened, also i cant get the image viewer to open with the "w_lght_xxx.mdx <Bifs/items.bif/w_lght_xxx.mdx>" file when i double click it! Please can you enlighten me? Again sorry for the annoying questions and thanks for your time! I hope you all have/had a good christmas! :)
 Darth333
12-24-2005, 2:45 PM
Read the tutorial carefully. In his lightsaber tutorial, Achilles tells you exactly which tools to use at each step. You can't open these files with just anything. You'll need a hex editor or mdlops.

Also check this sticky for the tools: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143421)
Page: 1 of 1