Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango Site Design

Page: 1 of 1
 James Isaac
12-18-2005, 5:08 PM
Hey,

I got kind of bored with the design on The Department of Death (http://dod.dotagame.com/). I think it looks a bit too basic. And there are also some problems with the structure of the site, so it's time to do some re-coding anyway. So, in an attempt to modernise the site I came up with this design:

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/8716/smoothstyle24tp.th.jpg) (http://img506.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smoothstyle24tp.jpg)

I'm not sure about it though. Some people said they liked it and it looked professional. But others said they weren't sure if it suited Grim Fandango. Although, half of those people weren't farmiliar with the game.

So, could you guys please give your opinion on the site? :)

Thanks,
James
 Charie
12-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, I think it's great. Cozy, even:). And certainly looks very professional, which is good. Maybe my opinion doesn't count much, since I'm pretty new and had no time to get accustomed to the current design, but I like it very very much.
Is that a final version? If so, where's the 'field of bones' famous backround?:)
 VampireNaomi
12-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I think it looks great! The people who don't like it have no idea what they're saying. I like the old design too, but if I were a new fan visiting your site for the first time, I'd probably feel more at home with this design. It's a little more cozy, just like Charie said.
 Shuz
12-19-2005, 2:50 AM
Even though I haven't visited the site that much in the past, I think the new design is way better.
 El Virus
12-19-2005, 8:37 AM
It is good.
But I would change the font of "The Department of Death", and include a typewriter-like one; also, put the image of reaper Manny at the left and the one of the travel agent into the right (exchange them). I do not know if I made it clear.
Other than that, it is very good; I like your site, has some very good information.
 Charie
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
El Virus, hey, the TravelAgent/Reaper location is all right, it steadies equilibrium.
 James Isaac
12-22-2005, 3:36 AM
Ok, thanks for the comments :D. I'm glad you think it suits the Grim Fandango theme... now I can start working on coding the site.

But I would change the font of "The Department of Death", and include a typewriter-like one;

I spent a while looking through my fonts trying to find something suitable for the site, and that was the closest I could find. So, if you have any suggestions of fonts you think would look good please let me know.

also, put the image of reaper Manny at the left and the one of the travel agent into the right (exchange them).

Easier said than done ;). The only reason I put that picture of Manny there is because it was from an image where he was on a black background, so it was easy to cut him out. I was planning on putting a different image from in-game there, but I couldn't cut it out smoothly enough.
 evulkhuul
12-22-2005, 4:31 AM
nice one mate, I really luv that new look though I'd like some font which is a bit more "minimalistic". Either way I'd visit there ;)
 El Virus
12-22-2005, 9:13 AM
Easier said than done ;). The only reason I put that picture of Manny there is because it was from an image where he was on a black background, so it was easy to cut him out. I was planning on putting a different image from in-game there, but I couldn't cut it out smoothly enough.

I thought there had to be a reason to it; besides, I've got no idea about site-designing.
I'll let you know if I find a font, but it looks great like it is.
 DeadYorick
04-07-2006, 1:44 AM
Wow If it were an HTML template i would pay 1000$ for it. But just kidding. Yeah it would be the best template. Remember with great power comes great responsiblity
 James Isaac
04-07-2006, 3:18 AM
Thanks :). I've finished coding quite a lot of the site (the user/profile/comments/submit content sections are all done). If anyone is bored and wants to help out by testing it send me a private message and i'll give you the link (but I may take a few days to reply because i'm about to leave for a week-long holiday).
 DeadYorick
04-07-2006, 3:44 PM
Hey i would want to test it on my site.
Page: 1 of 1