Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

help with ERF files

Page: 1 of 1
 jinger
12-09-2005, 12:35 AM
there's a dlg file i want to override that has duplicates in some ERF files, is there any way of overriding it without overriding the whole ERF containing the dlg?
 Darkkender
12-09-2005, 12:47 AM
when you place your "*.dlg" file in overide it only overides the original dlg not the entire erf.
 jinger
12-09-2005, 1:37 AM
when you place your "*.dlg" file in overide it only overides the original dlg not the entire erf.
the problem is, as i said, that it has duplicates in other ERFs
 stoffe
12-09-2005, 7:07 AM
The only way I can think of would be to rename the dialog file to something unique and then modify the script or UTC/UTP template that uses the instance you wish to override to point to your renamed version instead. (Which unfortunately will leave you just as stuck if scripts or templates with those names exist in several RIM or ERF files as well.)

Override always overrides resources on the global, game-wide scope. There's nothing to do about that as far as I know.
 Darkkender
12-09-2005, 10:46 AM
If your working on a custom module you can insert the dlg file into the "*.MOD" file when you build it and it will also stay local to that module only.
 jinger
12-09-2005, 2:57 PM
If your working on a custom module you can insert the dlg file into the "*.MOD" file when you build it and it will also stay local to that module only.
that's not the case
Which unfortunately will leave you just as stuck if scripts or templates with those names exist in several RIM or ERF files as wellyep, that's the case… i don't suppose building an ERF with the same name of the one containing the dlg would override just it? would i lose the original's other files?
 Darth333
12-09-2005, 4:31 PM
that's not the case
yep, that's the case… i don't suppose building an ERF with the same name of the one containing the dlg would override just it? would i lose the original's other files?
That would also work but depending on what you're doing it can be overkill. Simply use Kotor tool's ERF builder and save your file as a .mod (make sure to pack everything in it, including the .are, .git and .ifo files). Since you are saving with a different extension, your original files won't be replaced but the new file will override them.
 jinger
12-09-2005, 5:13 PM
That would also work but depending on what you're doing it can be overkill. Simply use Kotor tool's ERF builder and save your file as a .mod (make sure to pack everything in it, including the .are, .git and .ifo files). Since you are saving with a different extension, your original files won't be replaced but the new file will override them.
you saying to override pippo.erf (that contains the original dlg file) with pippo.mod containing just the new dlg file? that'd be awesome, did i get it right?
 jinger
12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
well, stoffe was right. i was being generic about this because i'm trying this in more than one mod, in different ways, but it seems you cannot override a single file in a .rim/erf (not if it has duplicates) without having to override the entire module.

mmmm… i'm assuming out there there's no script decompiler, is there?
 Darth333
12-10-2005, 12:34 AM
yes, you can only override the entire module.

And yes, there's a script decompiler: DeNSC: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)

You can also have a look at this page for valuable info:
http://www.torlack.com/index.html?topics=nwndata_ncs)

You'll find a list of tools here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152392)
 jinger
12-10-2005, 1:54 AM
wonderful *__* most useful, many thanks
 Darth333
12-10-2005, 7:22 AM
Forgot to mention: you'll have to double check the output manually as it does not always give "clean" results (torklack's page becomes very handy here).
Page: 1 of 1