Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KOTOR 2 worth it?

Page: 1 of 1
 Sithxace
11-14-2005, 5:04 PM
shouldi buy it? like in the first one for pc i found myself feeling like im part of the starwars universe. Cutscenes and story and graphics were all very nice. Is the 2nd one better? worse? Whats the pros and cons to it?
 Snafu7
11-14-2005, 5:33 PM
You should probably post this in th KOTOR forums...

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
 Jeff
11-14-2005, 6:13 PM
Yeah, what Snafu said. But still, KotOR 2, while probably not as good of a game story-wise as the first, is still one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it 5 times, so I definitely enjoyed it. I would recommend it to everyone.
 Sithxace
11-14-2005, 7:53 PM
haha whoops, completekly forgot that lucasforums has a forum for every game..duh! ha love how i lead by example as the moderator :)
 darthfergie
11-14-2005, 8:13 PM
eh, You could post it over there, but it's alright over here. Those guys are biased anyways. heh.
Secondly, I've always found that questions like that on a game in the game's forum that's been out for more than a few months usually get half answers or even flames from people who are tired of nOObs asking "a dumb question like that." So in my opinion I don't see much wrong asking your home forum (so people whose opinions you've come to know and to respect can answer).

I'd say KOTOR2 isn't as good as the first storyline wise. It goes really strong for parts of the game, and then just lets you down on a particular battle or two. It's got more statistical depth and a lot more abilities to access which are really amazing, so...I guess if you liked the first you should go for it, just don't expect to be as engrossed, but you'll have fun finding your way through the light and dark side especially.
 Hallucination
11-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Like the others said, it has better gameplay than the first one, and the story is good, just not K1 good. I'd recommend getting it, but don't come into the Telos Tourist Bureau in two weeks complaining that you want it to be twitch/the story doesn't make any sense/blathering on mindless about some character or another.
 THEredGERBAL
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
It was quite good - except for the ending, however that seemed to be everyones complaint - LA rushed the ending.
 90SK
11-15-2005, 5:14 PM
All that, plus in an undisclosed amount of months from now we get the TSLRP (www.team-gizka) which will fix said ending and add a great deal more to the game in the process.

I second the motion that you buy it. Or third, or whatever…
 Bob Lion54
11-15-2005, 8:52 PM
I second the motion that you buy it. Or third, or whatever…

And I *add one number*th that you buy it, too. If you liked the first one, you should like the second one. (I know thats not true for all games, but it should be for K2, I think)

Some of the things mentioned are a bit annoying, but overall its still a fun game. I liked the story, but it ends a bit abruptly. Still, I think most people took around 45-50 hrs to beat it.

If you like modding (or just downloading mods), check out Holowan Labs. I personally haven't seen any modding community as good as Holowan.
 Jeff
11-15-2005, 10:25 PM
There is no modding community anywhere as good as Holowan

Fixed.

:D
 Sabretooth
11-17-2005, 9:39 AM
Oookay... KotOR 2's nice, good if you liked the first game, since 80% of it is the first game itself. The story's a bit different, the ending rushed and all, but overall it's worth the buy. Oh, and it runs on most systems pretty fine, unless you don't have/have an old graphic card.
 popcorn2008
11-17-2005, 3:22 PM
I liked Kotor II for its better interface and more features. The begining was breathtaking in my opinion. The game starts strong but the ending is rather weak. It was an okay ending, but pretty short compared to the first one. The storyline is very intereasting, but it leaves you hanging.

I was in your shoes also, I had to ask people because I heard it wasnt good. I just bought it because despite the bad reviews I loved KOTOR. I think you should get it.
 Emperor Devon
11-19-2005, 2:12 PM
Of course you should buy it. But you should would wait until the restoration project is complete.
 Sithxace
11-19-2005, 2:54 PM
restoration project?
 Jeff
11-19-2005, 3:27 PM
Restoration Project (http://www.team-gizka.org/)
 Sithxace
11-19-2005, 4:12 PM
no what is it, like what will it do to the game?
 Jeff
11-19-2005, 4:22 PM
no what is it, like what will it do to the game?
Didn't you click the link? It explains it all there.
 Jmaster3265
11-28-2005, 5:40 PM
OMG WASTE OF $50.00 I hated it, it messes up your comp laggy...and just isn't worth $50...
 90SK
11-28-2005, 6:18 PM
Are you sure your comp had the right settings? It ran like a dream for me. :confused:
 JediKnight707
11-28-2005, 7:52 PM
One of my 5 favorite games of all time! Love it, though a little glitchy. Has a few bugs, but the RP is hard at work at it :) Like BL54 said, it has a great modding community. It has a lot of replay value becuase of this :D Defiantly worth it.
 cardif
11-28-2005, 9:34 PM
kotor2 lagged with ATI cards for some reason (especially on dantooine)... but there was a simple solution for that problem. after that, the game was smooth like pacman.

and thanks for the info concerning the restoration project. i was hoping for an official "content-patch", but i guess that was way too optimistic.
btw... are those unused soundfiles available in different languages too?

btw #2... korriban was probably one of the ... most impressive places to be... the whole atmosphere was great. especially the stories told about those sith lords. hasnt anyone of you been interested to enter one of those sith temples on korriban? to find out more about the secrets of those sithlords? ... uhhh... i'd probably pay for an addon containing more 'korriban-ish' missions. :D
 darthfergie
11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
kotor2 lagged with ATI cards for some reason (especially on dantooine)... but there was a simple solution for that problem. after that, the game was smooth like pacman.

what was the solution?
I'm running off of an ATI X800 and it'll get laggy at random times on dant for me too which really weirds me out because it doesn't lag on other games.
 Prime
11-29-2005, 12:08 AM
There is a fix for that, but alas I can't remember off the top of my head. IIRC there is something you can turn off in the config file that will help greatly. Try the troubleshooting forums in swknights section.

And definitely buy this game!
 cardif
11-29-2005, 4:57 AM
actually i thought that bug was fixed with the last patch... you just have to search in the kotor2 forums. shouldnt be hard to find.

(it prolly was this one, but i am not absolutely sure: http://support.lucasarts.com/tsg/SWKotORIIQuestions/Video%20Issues/LastChanceGraphicsFix.htm)
)
 Darth333
11-29-2005, 3:20 PM
what was the solution?
I'm running off of an ATI X800 and it'll get laggy at random times on dant for me too which really weirds me out because it doesn't lag on other games.
You can also check this sticky thread concerning ati cards issues in the Kotor forums: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144109)

I also heard that the latest catalyst drivers fixed that issue but I haven't tried it yet.

Those guys are biased anyways. heh.
Secondly, I've always found that questions like that on a game in the game's forum that's been out for more than a few months usually get half answers or even flames from people who are tired of nOObs asking "a dumb question like that." What? We're biased? :xp: seriously, even after nearly one year after the release, people over there are still happy to answer questions :D

As for the game, it's good, there are some nice features that have been added since k1 but there are a few loose ends. K1 is still my favorite but some people prefer k2 over the first game.
 90SK
11-29-2005, 3:28 PM
^^^
As long as they're not in the form of "The ending sucked. It made no sense and was stupid. wtf was wrong with it?" Those get a little old. ;)
 Mono_Giganto
11-29-2005, 3:56 PM
Heh.

Not the best game around, but still fun. Better mechanics than the first, story suffers a bit, bit it's still enjoyable. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like the second.
 Astrotoy7
12-19-2005, 8:03 AM
OMG WASTE OF $50.00 I hated it, it messes up your comp laggy...and just isn't worth $50...

sounds like your comp is messed up moreso :p

Ive got an 256mb grafix card, KOTOR/TSL runs like a damn movie at 1600 x 1200 on my 19" LCD..... awesomez :D

mtfbwya
 Bob Lion54
12-19-2005, 9:17 AM
what was the solution?

The easiest solution that works for alot of people is turning off the grass effects. It seems that the grass on Dantooine really causes lag, even on good CPUs.

I was getting alot of lag, like the kind you get in most games that your computer can only handle the minimun setting but you have them all the way up. When I turned off grass, the lag was gone. All the other setting were set on max.
 Ricardo_1701
01-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I liked KOTOR II, it's one of the best games for me, now only left for me playing the 1st, I don't played it yet
Page: 1 of 1