Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Nooooooo! (JA fubar?)

Page: 1 of 1
 StaffSaberist
11-11-2005, 1:24 AM
I just f***** up my JA copy. Big time.

I wanted a new mod for JA, so I d/led it. I have installed hundereds of mods before, but this time overwrote all the JA base folders. So, I uninstalled it. Anything left I removed manually. Now, I cannot reinstall JA, it only gives me the option of SP or MP. No matter how many times I uninstall... it won't let me reinstall, repair, or install. It's gone. (Yes, shukrallah, lassev, and the rest of you guys who helped so much - I managed to erase The Rift Valley. :crybaby: I have to start... start over?!?)

I need big help, guys. I want my JA, so I can have my WIP back. I tried System Restore. It failed miserably. So did Norton unErase Wizard. :crybaby: Losing JA isn't so bad. I can reinstall. But I put a lot of effort into my WIP, and I lost it... *snap* just like that. All because I was too pissed at the mod to pay attention.

I did read Jedi_Knight_707's thread, but this is different. It won't install at all.
 ZeroX2
11-11-2005, 9:00 AM
Have you tried cleaning up the registry?
 StaffSaberist
11-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes. I deleted everything with Lucasarts in the name (also deleting JO... oops.) I still click on Install, it still just says, "Do you wish to remove Jedi Academy..." I still click yes, it still pretends to uninstall, I click on install again, it still says, "Do you wish to remove..." :aargh:

EDIT - I may need help fast... I am going through withdrawls and have just finished installing JK on my computer.
 StaffSaberist
11-11-2005, 9:31 PM
Hate to double-post but could I get some help? I've gotten bored of JK and JO by now. :(

EDIT - I reinstalled JO. It seems that any JK series game except JK is slowing down significantly. Under "Add or Remove Programs", it says JA still has 5 MB on my hard drive, but I have searched for and destroyed anything related to Jedi Academy, even the shortcuts to the scripts folder.

This is wierd. I tried to access D:, my DVD dtive, and it took an entire minute. And now, I got this extremely strange message box:

GURU MEDITATION FAILURE! ( :lol: )

File: \Source\lfx_system.cpp
Line: 227

Abnormal Termination.

Select Retry for an environment dump.

*clicks retry*

Now it tells me Jedi Academy has had a problem and needs to close, (not) sorry for the inconvenience. The error report is *far* too long to post in full. The first few lines:

EXCEPTION INFORMATION

Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x00000000000000000 Address: 0x0000000000401aae

System Information
Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600 (odd... I use XP)

Module 1
JediAcademy.exe

oh, god, too much to keep going.
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Hmm. I don't know. =/

A quick Google search revealed a lot of threads about this on the FileFront forums, but I couldn't see any solution, other than the following two.

Do a registry clean with RegCleaner (Google for it), then do a clean reinstall with the original disc. Nothing could be simpler.put your disc in and find the folder 'install' and extract everything from there into the JKA folder/Install to fix it
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 10:49 AM
OK. I'll try Reg Cleaner first. If that fails (I may have missed a few entries) I'll try the other method.

EDIT - RegCleaner failed to fix it. I'll try the other attempt...

EDIT II - Not only did I copy the Install folder... but I also copied as much as I knew from Gamedata and Base. Still nothing! I'm going to search myself, see what I can do.
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Okay. You could always try formatting. >_>
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Formatting??? That would erase my hard drive!!! This isn't entirely my computer. Actually, I'm in the middle of selling ot over the next few months, so I can get a better computer. But that's months from now! I've posted on Ravenforums.com. Maybe they can help.
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, it's good to format every so often - and you can always back up your files.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, I'll see about breaking it to my folks, but I doubt they'll let me go along with it.

"What?!? You want to format your hard drive because you ****** up your Jedi game?!?"

My family puts the fun back in dysfunctional... :lol:
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Don't 'break it to them'. Rather, offer to take the time to format the hard drive, and reinstall the main programs/games that get used. This will speed up the PC, clean up some space, clean up the registry, and improve it overall.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I'll do that. *shudders* I'll see about backing up the important files. But I am not running out of space, just so you know. I have about 33 GB left. But I will see about it.
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 12:01 PM
It's too late now, but I guess for the future... backup stuff on cd/dvd when you've got a lot of stuff/something you wish to save so this doesn't happen again!

A reg cleaner SHOULD fix the problem of leftover files after uninstalling. I use Registry Mechanic.

Wait, "33 GB left" is "running out of space"? Sheesh! How much drive space do you have/need?

I thought having 10 gigs free was good, and I have a 120 gig hdd!

If you haven't reformatted in over a year though it's probably as good a time as anyway (after you backup of course!).
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I said I am not running out of space.

But I am not running out of space, just so you know. I have about 33 GB left.

RegMechanic, eh? I'll try that. It appears to be the Registry, then.

I offered to reformat, but I got a resounding NO as soon as the word format left my lips. I'm not sure why. Do we not have enough CD-R's to cover it?

Yes, I will backup from now on. In the mean time, I am clearing even more hard drive space. It's about time I cleared the old games I don't play anymore. (OK, Jumpstart Kindergarten I stopped playing 9 years ago, it's gone... didn't even know I still had it, piece of junk.)

EDIT - Scanning now, found 38 problems so far... nice new sig pic, ZeroX2!

EDIT II - I'm scared now, no less than 622 problems... and counting!

EDIT III - It found 803 errors... wow! it fixed 73 of them, but refused to fix the rest, on the grounds that I have to pay money. I'm going to look for a free Registry fixer... :(
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Not! meh... sorry, I can't read apparently. ;)

With Registry Mechanic shareware you CAN run it again and fix more errors, and run it again and fix more, etc. But it takes a long long time if you've got a lot of errors (like you seem to have).

I finally purchased RM because I use it so much (every few days or after a major delete), but each to his own!
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I would love to own it, if I had the $$$ on hand. It seems to work extremely well. But I d/led another trial version, one that has all features - for a limited amount of time. It seems to be working well, it has found quite a few so far. But I will run RM again after I am done with this program. :)
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 1:00 PM
OK, it still won't work, and RM doesn't want to solve any more errors. :( I'm in a fix, now...

btw, what is a fubar?
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 1:30 PM
nice new sig pic, ZeroX2!
Heh, thanks. I have three that I've been alternating between every so often. I'm actually working on a new set now, with the new skin I'm using in-game.

I use Registry Mechanic.
That reminds me - I need a registry cleaning program myself. I'll try that one.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 1:45 PM
Oh, that's how you get kick-arse avvies! Makes me want to learn to skin... :)

Well, I'm exhausted from trying to figure this out. I'm going to take a break and load up JOMP for a while, and practice a single-saber frag fest. Or maybr Ctf. Meh, whatever I like. But I'll check up avery hour and see if any new ideas come up. :)
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 1:50 PM
Oh, that's how you get kick-arse avvies! Makes me want to learn to skin... :)
Just learn how to use a program like Photoshop - it's great for making signature/avatar images.

Well, I'm exhausted from trying to figure this out. I'm going to take a break and load up JOMP for a while, and practice a single-saber frag fest. Or maybr Ctf. Meh, whatever I like. But I'll check up avery hour and see if any new ideas come up. :)
I still say you should format. >_> If you can reinstall all the programs and backup all the files, how will anybody ever know? If you have another drive, you can simply copy all your files to the other one, note down the programs that are installed, format, reinstall Windows (and update it), reinstall the programs, and move the files back across. It does take a bit of time, but it's worth it in the end.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 3:09 PM
OK, I don't have the required CD's to back up the drive's necessities. But I thought of two other fixes which may work:

1) If I install the game on another drive, zip up LucasArts, and burn it to CD, I may be able to transfer it back to my good hard drive.

A noble attempt, but a failure. The old drive had only 300 MB free space, and I need 1.2 GB.

2) If I knew where all the files belonged, I could theoretically install the entire game manually. The game already is "installed", but the files are missing. If I placed the files back in, the game may kick-start and run properly, at least long enough to uninstall correctly and reinstall.

It may work, but I will need your help, guys. I do not know where all of the files go. I do know some, but not too many.

I AM NOT GOING TO ASK FOR UPLOADED FILES.

What I will ask you is to take screenshots of your GameData and Base folders, as well as each subfolder of GameData, Base, etc. Using these screenshots as a guide, I can assemble JA in whole. I think I hope I pray to God I can.

I still wish to know WTF "fubar" is.
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 3:35 PM
Would it be okay if I just listed the files, rather than take screenshots? It's fairly long, so I'll PM it to you.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 3:48 PM
I'm working on the Base folder now, so I am about 50% done. Recovery Attempt V is underway!
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 4:00 PM
Good luck!
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 4:23 PM
STAFFSABERIST IS BACK IN ACTION

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/6648/shot00016yu.jpg)

I can't believe I did it... I reconstructed JA from scratch!

Thanks. ZeroX2, a few of those files did appear after I booted up the game. WoooHooHoHooo!

An odd thing remains, however: It still tells me to install on the autorun. I'm going to BACKUP my JA folders, and do it. Let's see if I kick-started the game enough. :D :D :D :D
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 4:43 PM
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 4:50 PM
That last one could be great. A suggestion for the last one: Make the guy brighter and give the lava a reddish-black tint. This will bring out the glow of the saber and will make the figure much more striking.

Never cared for the Guardian hilt myself, but as Kurgan said, to each his own! The ones without the lava are too dark altogether, IMHO. But I know I can't do this yet anyway, just a few ideas.

Anyway, I am 67% through copying my JA folder into a .rar file. After that, I will see if the game will uninstall, and reinstall. If I can, great. If not, I may have an accidental No-CD hack on my hands. ;) Better figure that out. But just in case it does not work out, I have shortcuts to JAMP and JASP on my desktop. :)
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 4:54 PM
That last one could be great. A suggestion for the last one: Make the guy brighter and give the lava a reddish-black tint. This will bring out the glow of the saber and will make the figure much more striking.

Never cared for the Guardian hilt myself, but as Kurgan said, to each his own! The ones without the lava are too dark altogether, IMHO. But I know I can't do this yet anyway, just a few ideas.
Thanks for the ideas, but the Guardian hilt is the best of them all. >_>

If not, I may have an accidental No-CD hack on my hands.
You don't need the CD?
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 4:57 PM
Not sure. I haven't tried it yet. But I find it off that I can run JA, and the JA startup menu tells me to install... as if it doesn't know JA is there. I will check it out, might be cool.
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 5:14 PM
If you can run multiplayer JA without the CD, that would be great. I don't think there are any working no-cd patches for that.

By the way, in that screenshot I noticed you don't have the Red Slushie flags. I find them to be pretty useful (it just makes them transparent, so you can see what you're doing in third person mode). You can get the file from the Strategic Academy (http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml) if you want to try it out. Just a small suggestion. =)
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 5:59 PM
OK. I will check it out. AFTER I get the mod that killed my JA game to work. You see, normally, files we d/l for JO and JA are .pk3's inside of .zip files. Not this time. I opened it up, and overwrote the base files. *cringe* That's what led to this. But I found out that I do need the CD, though I might not if I copy the correct files from CD to GameData, never know, but I cannot uninstall JA. It's permanently on my computer, unless I reduce it to 5 MB via detetion. So, I will keep the .rar backup. And any mods I d/l will be secure that way. :)

When you said, "you don't have..." you scared the **** out of me. I thought I was missing some texture or something. But I like seeing the flag, any mods that make the flags smaller? I do need to see the flag if the enemy has captured my own, you know. That way, I know who to target most. :evil2:

Finally, this wierd problem is far enough behind me that I think I can play JA without consequence. :)

I still say I like the Vanquisher hilt better, for some odd reason.

And I still have no clue what fubar is. (It's in the title, now. What mod did that?)
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 6:14 PM
Well, the Red Slushie flags are still very visible, they're just slightly transparent to allow you to see in front of you. It works well.

And why would you ever want to remove JA, anyway? ;)

As for the fubar title, I'm guessing it was Kurgan, as 'Nooooooo!' probably wasn't clear enough. According to dictionary.com: fubar, adj. Slang - 1. Utterly botched or confused. 2. ****ed up beyond all recognition (or repair).
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 6:51 PM
I d'led them, and liked them. Thankx! :D As I am sure you noticed, you are in my sig now. :)
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 7:34 PM
The real test will be to see if you can actually play with other people online... MTFBWY!

PS: The Red Slushie flags also glow in the dark (though it's client side only so nobody else need know!), moreso than usual (turn on your r_dynamicglow 1 to see the pretty effect). Bear in mind that there's Red Slushie flags, that is just a client side visual thing and then Red Slushie MOD that is a whole bunch of stuff (it's it's own admin mod with lots of new features, etc).
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 7:38 PM
My system cannot support dynamic glow, it halves my framerate. But OK, I'll display my n00b status for the world to see! ;) I'll join a few games.

Yeah, I can connect. but something had to be wrong. Not with the game itself, but in a Team FFA game, this guy on my team started swinging at me with Red Stance. Small wonder his team was losing 37-87. Now I'm a little miffed at the players. What kind of idiot sabers his own teammates? It was me and him, both of us on Blue Team, and he kills me. Complete sneak-attack. What a jerk!
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 8:17 PM
I just got hit by an awful realization: WHERE ARE THE SCRIPTS?!? Is the folder base/scripts empty?
 ZeroX2
11-12-2005, 9:23 PM
Hmm? I don't even have a /Base/Scripts/ folder.
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 9:25 PM
Oh. I guess I just added it in when I started mapping. Oh well... ;)
 shukrallah
11-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Whoa... what did I miss?!?!

BTW, yeah, you added that folder. It sucks that you lost your project, but we'll help you out in anyway that we can at the mapping forum :whtsmile:

Oh, and the reason the launcher still asks you to install is because the registry isn't setup for JKA anymore. I guess its no big deal, the launcher just won't work right now. When you get that new PC you'll be set!

BTW, NOCD Cracks can cause MP to cut off giving you stupid errors... so, you should be carefull about that. ;)
 StaffSaberist
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah, you missed a lot, shukrallah! :lol: Lost all my work... ironically, in anger. But I don't have a NOCD crack, but I thought I accidentally created one.

Trust me, it sucks in every sense of the word that I lost my project. However, it won't be too hard to recreate: 70-80% of my time was spent learning how to to it. How hard is it to create an octagonal room with raised floor corners, pillars, a statue, model_static lamps, and misc_model lamps? The hard part will be redoing the destroyed door frames which explained why the huge doors would not open. =/

I'll hold off on the mapping till tomorrow. Then, I'll get right back to work. I promise. In fact, I'll give myself motivation: Tomorrow, expect to see a WIP thread in the showcase. :)
 Kurgan
11-13-2005, 1:53 AM
Very frustrating I'm sure. But I guess you can look at it this way... perhaps you can do it even better this time (since you did it once before!)? ;)
 StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 8:21 AM
Or at least make fewer mistakes along the way. :D
 acdcfanbill
11-13-2005, 9:54 PM
yeash, next time couldnt you simply navigate to the CD contents, and dbl click on the setup.exe file? it would overwrite any registry keys and put back all the files :s
 StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
How many times have I tried that? I refer you to my second post, the third post in the thread:

I still click on Install, it still just says, "Do you wish to remove Jedi Academy..." I still click yes, it still pretends to uninstall, I click on install again, it still says, "Do you wish to remove..."
 shukrallah
11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
No, not on the launcher, the actual setup.exe file. Unless thats what you mean... :-\ I see you have your WIP up, better check that out :D
 StaffSaberist
11-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Not much to see there, yet. But the Setup.exe is no different, I am afraid.
Page: 1 of 1