Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Don't delete your batch files just yet...

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
11-07-2005, 2:53 PM
I've been messing around with the PC Dedicated Server file for SWBF2 and I noticed many options are missing.

The loader only lets you select a few pre-defined "Sim Rates" (ie: FPS cap), just like SWBF1... 15, 16, 20, 25 and 30. Using the /tps command in a batch file or command line you can set it to any number you want, or remove it entirely.

Likewise there is no place to modify the resolution of your server in the launcher (you're stuck at 640x480 res.. that's a big box!). With a batch file you can make it a nice small 320x240 so it doesn't take up so much room on your desktop.

Also, you can't change the number of reinforcement tickets per team! You're stuck with the default 200 per side. :P

There may be many more, but these I noticed right off the bat.

So while the PC Dedicated server may be a boon for newbies wanting to host, it doesn't offer quite the flexability that batch files have.

Does anyone know if the PC Dedicated Server works without the game installed (and without the original discs inserted)? Because that could be one possibly benefit, nonwithstanding the reduced customizability.
 Kurgan
11-07-2005, 4:33 PM
Oops, I didn't realize that the Dedicated Server package includes more than one tool! My comments above refer only to the "DSManager.exe" (which is more or less identical to the one from SWBF1).

I will be checking out the other tools and posting my thoughts when I get time!
 zerted
11-07-2005, 6:21 PM
Yea, I don't like DSManager.exe. swbf2sm.exe is much better. It does have its glitches, some of its options are limited (like the FPS rate), and you can't track how much your server is being used, but overall its much more powerful.
 Kurgan
11-07-2005, 9:51 PM
Yeah, and it doesn't force you to increase your desktop res to see the whole thing.
;)
Page: 1 of 1