Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I miss those good old games that got me so into it....

Page: 1 of 1
 Sithxace
10-31-2005, 8:04 PM
there arnt many games that got me feeling like im part of the game, like great story and gameplay. Last game i actually found myself in the game was knightas of the old republic. But man i miss em, like Xwing alliance, awesome game! grerat stopry, great action working ur way part of a family business until ur in the rebellion leading a squad into the deathstar.

Speaking of that game why arnt they makinga sequel??? WHY? everybody loved it, so what there that we dont see thats not makin them wanna make a sequel?

with all this said, empires at war is gonna be awesome gameplay/strategy wise, but i still miss the great story games.
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-31-2005, 8:44 PM
From some videos I've seen it looks like they have a nice story line to it.
 Jeff
10-31-2005, 9:27 PM
Yeah, looks like you can create your own part of history sort of. I think this game will very much make me feel like a general in war, it looks so realistic (well Star Wars realistic that is XD)
 THEredGERBAL
11-01-2005, 1:17 AM
Now I may get slammed for this but... Galactis Frontiers - that brought out the meglomaniac in me every time. While it's story was effectivly non existant it was so easy to make up your own whilst playing it. I've heard tell of a history option where it will record all major occurances within the game, now if this is true that would be awesome. That aside this game still looks to game enought of a plot within single strand quests and then the larger goals to keep me feeling involved and directed without being pushed into following the same path everytime. I wan't goals sure - but I want a variety and a choice to follow them or not, or just to do my own thing.
 Tie Pilot
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm feeling really nostalgic about X-Wing alliance, JK and all those other great games these days. I miss the good old days when I'd cram every hour of the the day with X-wing goodness. It was one of the most immersive games I've played. I don't care about HL2, CS or even SWBF2 anymore, I just want my XWING back... :(
 Sithxace
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM
these days i guess now im startintg to notice the pc market shrinking, but thank god gamestop and really happy microsoft are gonna try and bring it to full force. Like for the exception of hl2 and maybe doom 3, games these days focus on gameplay, graphics and multiplayer. Thats all great but if only theyd go back to the storyline and atmosphere again. Id like to see the real life cutscenes like JK or atleast rendered high quality cutscenes. Yes the graphics in games these days are great enough to become cutscenes, but i always thought in-game cutscenes are just not good enough nor polished enough, bring back the rendered great cutscenes!
 Sithxace
11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
u kno what game that dissapeared that i thought was great thats non-starwars related? Microsoft's Mechwarrior! Yea the expansions packs came out but they dont count. THAT GAME was amazing. Story and everything. They deff need to bring like sequel out for that. And i hope this new rainbow six game that comes out soon isnt not even a lil ported, I want a full scale sequel for the pc.
 Dagobahn Eagle
11-03-2005, 8:19 AM
Why aren't they making a sequel
Two reasons, I think:
1. Money.
2. Kids nowadays are realismphobes and want everything to be as simple as possible (just look at how Battlefront with auto-aim and everything sold!). I can picture them coming out of a Rogue Squadron session, seeing a screenshot of an XWA cockpit, and promptly peeing their pants and condemning XWA for making them do something as horrible as "think" instead of just run&gun with no tactics or craft management whatsoever:D.

I hate LucasArts for slapping the development team of X-Wing Alliance on the balls the way they did. They didn't let the team finish the game, and they refused to let them produce more than one patch - true to LucasArts form.

The reason? Episode I was about to be released and they considered half-hearted Ep. 1 games like Battle for Naboo more important solely because they produced the most money.

Of all the games I've played latelly, it seems all of them have been dumped by their publishers:

Battlefront
Silent Hunter III
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World - heck, most people don't even know about it as Activision didn't care to do much marketting.
Empire Earth and Empire Earth II
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
Battlefield 2

It seems that it's becoming more and more accepted among developers to not care about the games they release. Rush the game and refuse to patch anything more than the most glaring errors. It's like getting pregnant with a kid, giving birth too early, and dumping the poor child on the stairs of an orphanage.

You want a great plot, though, play TIE Fighter. Wonderful dialogue, great atmosphere, creative story-line (they actually sat down and created new campaigns instead of just re-using movie battles over and over), fantastic cutscenes, and some excellent dialogue. The music is awesome, too, and fits the atmosphere so totally.

The graphics are laughable today, of course, but after a half hour of playing you've forgotten all about it.

I miss the good old days when I'd cram every hour of the the day with X-wing goodness.
Holy S***, X-Wing was hard. I mean, it was freaking impossible:D! Great game, though.
 Sithxace
11-03-2005, 8:31 AM
tie fighjter was great, xwing and xwingvstiefighter were games i didnt really care much abaout. But wow if they didnt even finish xwa completely, who would have known how it would turn out if they did, cause that game deff didnt feel rushed
 Logain
11-03-2005, 9:34 AM
....battlefield 2 is so not a game thats gonna be left alone, EA is going to whore it over with like 50 billion patchs, instead of making a good game, but then again, its EA, they dont really know what a good game is
 Tie Pilot
11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
BF2 is good enough, it has a nice graphical update over its predecessors but yeah EA like to seriously f*** up the balance now and then. Although the patches usually come with a little bonus that usually makes me forgive them for a while. I remember BF1942 when that came out it was riddled with bugs, took about 5 or 6 patches before it was fixed.

Anyway its all irrelevant, as soon as the mods come out BF2 vanilla can go f*** itself. I'm eagerly anticipating Forgotten hope and Star wars First strike.. :)

Speaking of X-wing, I'm reinstalling as we speak.. the urge finally got to me, time to rediscover one of the best games EVER!
 Sithxace
11-03-2005, 5:25 PM
i miss the space sims, flight sims, any sims. comon, and even the real life strategy of rainbow six seems to turn into arcadish, damn.....
 Sabretooth
11-17-2005, 9:47 AM
For me, Deus Ex was the most immersive game ever. Sure, it is old and now there are better games, but DX made the greatest impact on me any game could possibly make...
 darthfergie
11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Immersive games?
Rome: Total War. Seriously, after playing that game nonstop for months I was totally into it. I don't have a problem saying that while playing it I will taunt the enemy armies with my prowess in wordplay and my galant voice. I listened to ancient music, I watched history channel shows on Rome, and occasionally after conquering Rome with the Guals, I would strut around campus and expect all the women to bow to the conquerer...of course they didn't, but oh well...that was the only downfall.

I thought splinter cell was really immersive too. SW Galaxies sucked me in for a whole year. Really I've had no problem with the amount of emmersive games recently. The only problem I have is with developers making games that intensionally shallow for the "casual" gamer. I think there are enough immersive games out there to really keep me going for a long time. Games that I don't have the time to play or the money to buy, but I know right now if I went to Best Buy I could find 4-5 games right off the bat that are really immersive and if I had the time to invest in playing them all, I most definitely would.
Page: 1 of 1