Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK1 Crashing

Page: 1 of 1
 ZeroX2
10-23-2005, 1:31 PM
So I decided to play through JK1 again (using the SBX mod, but I don't think that's the problem). It's always worked fine in the past, but now every so often the game decides to crash, and once that happens, the save file itself (including other save files I've made) can't load (crashes the game in the same way when I try), and I have to start a new save. I have the latest patch. Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks.

Edit: My system is a 1.25GHz Athlon XP, GeForce FX 5200, 512MB RAM, Windows XP SP2, if that's any help. Latest graphics card drivers.

Update: If I disable the SBX mod, instead of the game crashing, it gives a 'Could not load level' error. Any ideas?
 StaffSaberist
11-11-2005, 1:28 AM
Well, the SBX, a terrific mod, needs to be there because the game is looking for those resources. A simple saber color mod can probably be deleted without problems, but SBX is a huge mod (not to mention, the only way to fly :D)

As for it not working, how many save games do you have? I noticed when I had around 1 save -- per level -- it would crash whenever I loaded/deleted a save or two.

Not to mention JK was never meant to be played on Windows XP. So, yeah, there are compatibility issues. At least on mine, and I'm sure others.
 ZeroX2
11-11-2005, 9:06 AM
As for it not working, how many save games do you have? I noticed when I had around 1 save -- per level -- it would crash whenever I loaded/deleted a save or two.
Hmm. I do have around one save per level. So I should make more, or save less often?
 StaffSaberist
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Less saves. DEFINITELY. Oddly, my old system could handle all those saves, and it was a Pentium II. My Pentium IV can't handle all the old files. So, delete all the saves you don't need, and keep only your favorites. Like, I have a save of each saber duel. I Also have a quicksave which I use often. This way, I can skip levels like Level 6 (dunno why, I hate that level, probably because it's too large) and play the cool ones.

Here's what my system would do:

I would go into the saves window
I would save my game with a custom name.
1 out of 4 times, the game crashes to the desktop.
Ditto for deleting saves. 1 out of 4 times, it crashes.
So yeah, go with less saves. But don't worry about the quicksave, it never crashes, IME.
 ZeroX2
11-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Right, I'll try that then. Thanks.
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 12:34 PM
There is an auto save retrieval program that was released a LONG time ago (shortly after JK1 came out).

IIRC it was called JK autosave converter, or something along those lines. It takes your auto save from the beginning of each level and lets you use that as your save, so that you don't have to start completely over. Otherwise I guess you could just use cheats to get back to where you were.

It shouldn't be crashing so much. Check with the mod authors (if they still answer email) and see if they have any suggestions. Or try it without the mod(s) and see if that helps. A lot of crashing problems can be fixed with the patch and unchecking the "backbuffer in video memory" (or whatever it was) checkbox in video options.
Page: 1 of 1