Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR low framerate - HELP!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 weebil
10-22-2005, 6:36 PM
I installed KotOR Game of the Year Edition and it has a veeeeerrry low framerate, despite the fact that my machine is brand new, has all the lastest drivers, etc. I also downloaded the 1.03 patch, which did nothing to help fix it. Lowering graphic options likewise did nothing. I am at my wit's end here. I also have Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast, games which have similar system reqs, and they run perfectly fine. I meet or exceed all the recommended config settings when I start the game up except for the video card (ATI Radeon Xpress 200) which says I meet the installation requirement, but not the recommended setting. This doesn't make sense considering that the PCI Xpress line is supopsed to surpass the AGP cards. I don't know what to do. No-one will help me. The only thing I can think of, but I doubt this is the problem, is that my emulation program, DOSBox 0.63, may be interfering. I'm not really a technical guy but I know how to make games work most of the time. Lucasarts told me to update my drivers but that's BS because I bought my computer a mere 2 months ago.

Here's the KotOR system scan:

CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=2393
CPUFamily=15
CPUModel=12
CPUStepping=0
CPUVendor=AMD
CPUName=AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=896
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=141.34GB
D: (FAT32), UNICODE=1016MB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=E:\,F:\
Drives=LITE-ON CD-ROM LTN-489S,_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A

[Video]
Video Card Name=MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Video Memory=512
Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz
DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=1.4.5396 WinXP Release
OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer=RADEON XPRESS 200 Series SW TCL x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Realtek AC'97 Audio
Status=Pass

I am desperate! Please send any helpful information to don't post your e-mail or just post a replay I guess. Thanks alot.
 stingerhs
10-22-2005, 10:20 PM
actually, you don't have a true video card installed on your computer. you see, the Radeon Xpress 200 is nothing more than a Radeon X300 chip that's on your motherboard. in other words: integrated graphics. integrated graphics currently don't even begin to stack up to the capabilities of a true video card that has its own resources to compute the graphics. true, your video processor will calculate the graphics, but it has to use more of the main processor to do it. it also has to partition off part of your system RAM in order to have its own "dedicated" memory. when you have a true video card installed, it has its own onboard memory, and it doesn't use the main processor for the calculations.

i'd recommend going ahead and getting either a GeForce 6600 or a Radeon X700 card if you truely want to have a video card installed on your system. both of them can be had for under $150 and they both offer much better performance than your integrated chipset.

if you don't have the money, or you just don't want to upgrade, i'd recommend using 'Medium' textures, disable soft shadows, disable both AA & AF, and use a 800x600 screen res.

hope that helps. :)
 RedneckRio
10-25-2005, 5:44 PM
Hey, you're not the only one having this problem... I've got the Xpress 200 also, so thanks to Stingerhs... I'll see if I can try one of the video cards :)
 SITHSLAYER133
10-25-2005, 8:12 PM
i got a friend who uses an x300x550 seeries does that means its a mobo card
Page: 1 of 1