Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Windows SP2 Kotor1/2 Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 6:56 AM
Hello all,
I already posted it on obsidian forum but i got nothing.
Well running windows xp sp1 kotor and tsl works fine no problems, but when i install sp2 happen 2 problems (tsl and kotor).

First: In many times game crash and finish to report to microsoft (many areas I CANT FINISH BECAUSE IT)
Second: Pc reboot n few times.

Ok, reading microsoft report file, i saw happen a problem about kernel32 and my video card drive, well i coded a simple patch fixed, resolved problem only for some time and bug back (I HAVE NO KOTORS SOURCE OR WINDOWS SOURCE TO DO A EXCELENT PATCH. NOTE: I code c/c++.)

Seeing last microsoft list for imcompatible softwares on sp2 was KOTOR1 but not TSL, and i was reading few ppls have this problem in nvidia and ati video cards.

Well, i installed sp1 again and it work fine, but sp1 have several bugs and i hate windows and his company. (UNIX LOVER) but i cant play kotor on netbsd and linux gentoo, right? (I think a conspiration about game eneterprises with microsoft but i dont like talk it, i only think bill gates need learn more with great coders who created free opensources).

Finishing it, here my pc specs.

Windows XP Professional SP2
Dual Boot - NetBSD 2.0.2
- Gentoo Linux 2005
HD: Maxtor 40gb 4200 rpm
Processor: Amd Sempron 2800+ (2000mhz) Cache: 512
RAM Memory: 512mb DDR
Video adapter: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb
Video adapter driver version: 77.77
DirectX: 9.0c
Motherboard: Asus A7v8x
Sound adapter: SoundMax (onboard)

Ok. Thank you, and sorry for long text and my english.

OBS: Only for know, pcgamemods dont exists anymore?
 stingerhs
10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
hmm, well your problem sounds like it could be exclusive to the international versions (i'm assuming you don't have the American version), although perhaps not. *shrugs*

anyways, could you describe the crash in a bit more detail. like, for example, is the game crashing in a particular area after you've been playing for a while, or does it crash while you try to load the game??

and as far as i'm aware, you can't play Windows games on Linux. but let me ask our local Linux user before i can give you a definative answer...
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, its american version, i live in brazil all tutorials are in portuguese (not in game or cd), but game is english (usa).

Kotor1: Crash a lot of time when u are in mannan in submerse base (using special suit going to star map) (where have a lot of sharks) (ALL PARTS incluing where have sea best and star map, but joing in the base without suit dont crash)

Kotor2: When u crash in polar region (3 droids hk-50).
Dantooine, Jedi enclave sub-level too.

But this bug can happen in any local, but above i said areas i cant pass. Thanks!
 RevanA4
10-21-2005, 1:37 PM
have you tried winex or other window emulators I can't rememer the specific one I used to have before redoing linux but it was good
 RevanA4
10-21-2005, 2:52 PM
Hello all,
I already posted it on obsidian forum but i got nothing.
Well running windows xp sp1 kotor and tsl works fine no problems, but when i install sp2 happen 2 problems (tsl and kotor).

First: In many times game crash and finish to report to microsoft (many areas I CANT FINISH BECAUSE IT)
Second: Pc reboot n few times.

Ok, reading microsoft report file, i saw happen a problem about kernel32 and my video card drive, well i coded a simple patch fixed, resolved problem only for some time and bug back (I HAVE NO KOTORS SOURCE OR WINDOWS SOURCE TO DO A EXCELENT PATCH. NOTE: I code c/c++.)

Seeing last microsoft list for imcompatible softwares on sp2 was KOTOR1 but not TSL, and i was reading few ppls have this problem in nvidia and ati video cards.

Well, i installed sp1 again and it work fine, but sp1 have several bugs and i hate windows and his company. (UNIX LOVER) but i cant play kotor on netbsd and linux gentoo, right? (I think a conspiration about game eneterprises with microsoft but i dont like talk it, i only think bill gates need learn more with great coders who created free opensources).

Finishing it, here my pc specs.

Windows XP Professional SP2
Dual Boot - NetBSD 2.0.2
- Gentoo Linux 2005
HD: Maxtor 40gb 4200 rpm
Processor: Amd Sempron 2800+ (2000mhz) Cache: 512
RAM Memory: 512mb DDR
Video adapter: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb
Video adapter driver version: 77.77
DirectX: 9.0c
Motherboard: Asus A7v8x
Sound adapter: SoundMax (onboard)

Ok. Thank you, and sorry for long text and my english.

OBS: Only for know, pcgamemods dont exists anymore?

Ok I'm running windows XP Sp2 with no problems what exacatly happens during you crashes I've played and finished both games without a problem. but it sounds like a video card issue seens how you have an relatively old Fx card have you considered upgrading you video card and as for not being able to play windows games on linux that isn't true you can it takes some work arounds and emulators to do it but it can be done

and since I dual boot windows and fedora core 3 I haven't tried to play a windows game on linux but I have some friends who swear by it let me check with them and get back to you ok.
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 3:30 PM
Wine/Winex? are u tricking with me? rofl. This projects developed to u can play SOME games and with not = windows quality.
I dont wanna be rude but rtfm. Im not stupid, yet.
About card issue probably not, i read some topics about ati new cards with this problem.
Remember Windows XP SP2 != Windows XP SP1 Architeture, so probably few video card have imcomptible with some game. Probably game call a fuction to video card and video card call to kernel32, but kernel32 thinks is n incorrect or unknown command.
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 3:37 PM
Bill gates "coded" a fake mac with infinite errors. I saw signature about einstein phrase, "Two things is infinite, universe and human stupid" add now windows bugs too. And ppls think bill gates is a hero! HAHA
 RevanA4
10-21-2005, 3:56 PM
Wine/Winex? are u tricking with me? rofl. This projects developed to u can play SOME games and with not = windows quality.
About card issue probably not, i read some topics about ati new cards with this problem.
Remember Windows XP SP2 != Windows XP SP1 Architeture, so probably few video card have imcomptible with some game. Probably game call a fuction to video card and video card call to kernel32, but kernel32 thinks is n incorrect or unknown command.

there are some better one out there like i said let me check with some of my friends which swear by it and personally I can't completely switch otherwise I would have dropped windows like a smelly diaper but I can't

and do a search for playing windows games on Linux I did that once and found a good one that has great reviews but my sound card was the limiting factor and fedora core 3 supports my Nevada geforce 6200 256mb card and I've never encountered this problem you are having with SP2 even in my time as a IT grunt I've never had this happen.

also I said let me try some things if there is a way I will find it more than likely cuz I don't let a problem drop until I solve it

and fyi if you ask for help don't jump on the person who offers it
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 4:02 PM
All have Wine(Opensource), WineX(need buy Transgaming), Cedega (Need buy transgaming), all are limited to some games only, and dont have a good quality than windows;
Im not jumping on u, but read more before say.
About help, i want know who have this problem and se somebody known what cause it, if i discover it will create a unofficial patch. Coding in c/c++.
 jxxx22
10-21-2005, 4:06 PM
Why do u think bill gates have 48bi U$. :) Windows is used by who dont know much about computer or dont wanna learn;
 RevanA4
10-21-2005, 4:13 PM
Why do u think bill gates have 48bi U$. :) Windows is used by who dont know much about computer or dont wanna learn;

well I'm a programmer/networker/and pc tech and I HATE windows with passion but alas I haven't found a linux solution to my .net languages yet
 TheOssusKeeper
10-21-2005, 8:57 PM

it sounds like you are having .dll problems, I recommend you re-install the .dll files from a clean source (Win XP cd and card drivers install files, not from a back-up, those might be bad also) to fix the corrupted .dll files for both windows and for the video card, see if that helps...
 jxxx22
10-22-2005, 6:24 AM
heh, not problem about corrupted files, but thanks;
 jmac7142
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Bill gates "coded" a fake mac with infinite errors. I saw signature about einstein phrase, "Two things is infinite, universe and human stupid" add now windows bugs too. And ppls think bill gates is a hero! HAHA

He does have a nice house though :p

***Edit***
Make sure your SP2 firewall is off as well.
 SITHSLAYER133
10-23-2005, 2:12 AM
i encountered a few crashes but nuthin special my advice is reformat ur comp a clean souce eg win xp cd as ossus said then install ur drivers for ur stuff and get to playin !
 RevanA4
10-25-2005, 3:36 PM
ok after asking this on a different forum which has a huge linux user community I was told this

You might want to look into the distro Cedega. It was dspecifically designed to run for running games under Windows.
Page: 1 of 1