Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Driver Problem, I think

Page: 1 of 1
 Bob Lion54
10-16-2005, 1:03 AM
I just bought a GeForce6800 GT Overclocked.

I already had the latest driver, v81.xxxx (dated August 2nd, 2005)
I was playing TSL again, and when I got to where Atton says
"We're still enroute to Telos, check the navicomputer behind you," I click the map and instead of the starcharts, I get coloured lines and blocks all over the screen.

So, I figured the game crashed. I control-alt-deleted my may to a restart. When I got to the windows login screen, the same coloured blocks and lines appeared. My mouse was just a big multicoloured square and I couldn't move it.

Hmmm..... maybe I should try an older driver. I restart in safemode, uninstall my driver, restart, windows comes up normal. I have no driver, so everything is slow, but I can see everything.

Now, I save my drivers. So I chose my next oldest one. V77.7xxxx (Dated September 11th, 2005) I install, restart. So far so good.

The driver installation comes up. I click continue. It installs. It askes me to restart, I do.

when it gets back to the login screen, its the same coloured blocks and lines!! I even tried using the 66.xxx drivers and the same thing happened.

I used my GeForce5600 for over a year with no problems. I don't know whats going on here. I'm currently in safe mode, so as I could ask for help.

My specs:
Intel Pentium 4 Proccessor @ 3.06Ghz
1.5 GB Ram
Windows XP Pro (sevice pack 2)
DirectX 9.0c

Anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?
 jmac7142
10-16-2005, 2:53 AM
So far I've found that the 77.77 drivers are the most stable of the new releases, so try rolling back to those first.
 Bob Lion54
10-16-2005, 3:50 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have multiple hard drives, so I set one of my secondary drives as the primary. I reformated and reinstalled windows.

When I tried to install the drivers, same thing happened. I'm thinking its a hardware thing, at this point. Later today, I'll exchange it at Best Buy and hopefully that will fix my problem.

I'm going to try my 5600, if it works, then that will pretty much tell me if I killed my CPU or if I just got a bad Video Card.

EDIT: Well, nevermind all.

I got my GeForce5600 running with the 77.77 drivers. So I guess it was a hardware problem. I'll have to exchange it later today.

Still, it picked an odd time to break. I know TSL has a few bugs, but I guess I can say it killed my Video Card. hehe

I know its silly, but I'm honestly afraid to play it now....
 supertoe
10-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Glad you got it running Bob. Let me know how the new card works when you exchange it.
 Bob Lion54
10-16-2005, 2:06 PM
Just put the new one in. It seems to be working fine, but so did the other one at first. I'm still a bit weary that this one is going to do the same thing.

Do you guys think that it was probably just a defective card? I'd still like input on that, because I don't think I will be confident with this one for a while. The other one pretended to work untill I clicked the dern map.

BTW, if Supertoe's comment seemed random, thats because shes a non-internet friend of mine I bribed convinced to check out LF. HI TOE!
 stingerhs
10-18-2005, 10:07 AM
sounds like it was indeed a defective card, and there's a multitude of explanations which i won't bother with. but if you have the same problem with the new card, i'd just try getting the same card from a different manufacturer and overclocking it yourself for the same performance results.

just my two pennies. ;)
 Bob Lion54
10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Cool. Thanks stingerhs.

That does put me at ease a bit. Its been 2 days on the new one. So far so good.

Just FYI, it made, or put together, or whatever you call it, by BFG Tech. My 5600 was Gainward.

Later on, I'll have to play K2 again... I think every time I click the map, I'm going to hold my breath. :p
 Darth333
10-18-2005, 1:07 PM
BGF normally makes quality video cards. You were probably just very unlucky.
 stingerhs
10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
i'm with D333 on this one. BFG is usually one of my first recommendations for Nvidia-based manufacturers. but not everybody's perfect, so you're just one of the odd ones out. hehe...
 Bob Lion54
10-19-2005, 8:11 AM
Well, thats good to know. Thanks.

I figured they where pretty good because they are the most prominent company that I've seen make them. Considering how many people use Invidia, if BFG wasn't that good, it would be known. (Not that I'm an expert, but I did do a little research before I bought it. Mostly I just read customer reviews on amazon and newegg. hehe)
 stingerhs
10-19-2005, 10:29 AM
generally, i look at it this way: if your not going to buy a video card straight from Nvidia or ATI, then you go with BFG for Nvidia and Sapphire for ATI. and since both of those can sometimes run cheaper, its just icing on the cake. :)
Page: 1 of 1