Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need Help!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Sion
10-15-2005, 1:48 PM
I can't seem to play KOTOR II because it says the viseo driver is not the correct version. So when it loads the site I have no clue what to do and dl the most resonable looking files and it still wont work write. The farthest I can go is the char setup but can't start the game.
 Darth Sion
10-15-2005, 4:06 PM
Sorry, this is all the info I can get.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 2

Compaq intel pentium 4 CPU 1.60 G.Hz 512 MBs or Ram
DirectX 9.0
GeForce2 MX/MX 400
 Darth Sion
10-15-2005, 5:34 PM
Figured out how to get all the date, it's been a while. >.<

GameInstallLocation=C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=Win95
Version=Windows 95 v4.0 build 950
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Fail

[SwapFiles]

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=1595
CPUFamily=15
CPUModel=1
CPUStepping=2
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName= Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Status=Warning

[Memory]
RAM=512
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=1.17GB
D: (FAT32), UNICODE=1.11GB
F: (FAT32), UNICODE=6.11GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=E:\
Drives=

[Video]
Video Card Name=NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
Video Memory=64
Desktop Resolution=0x0x0
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=1.5.4
OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer=GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE2
NVidia Driver=(null)
 TheOssusKeeper
10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Get the latest GeForce drivers and install them:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp)
 Darth Sion
10-16-2005, 1:34 PM
I've done that.
 Darth Sion
10-16-2005, 2:27 PM
Oh, BTW the scan keeps failling.
 TheOssusKeeper
10-16-2005, 3:07 PM
you may want to invest in a new vid card, the GeForce FX series seems to be a popular model, I have the FX 5200, and it works perfectly... you can get one for around $30 - $40 dollars...

Edit: whats the deal with the scan? it shows you have windows 95 not xp...

Edit x2: get new OpenGL drivers: you show 1.5.4, they have the new 2.0 version out... see if that helps
 SITHSLAYER133
10-16-2005, 5:46 PM
reinstall drivers fixed it when i had this prob
 Darth Sion
10-17-2005, 3:47 PM
BTW, I was playin KOTOR 1 before I decided to un-install it and install 2 the same day. BTW how do I reinstall drivers?
 SITHSLAYER133
10-17-2005, 5:12 PM
ok the first thing u need to do is wipe the old drivers off go to contol pannel and look for the display driver then restart ur comp then install the new drivers and restart then you are finsihed
 Darth Sion
10-17-2005, 6:17 PM
Will this have any bad affects on any programs?
 Darth Sion
10-17-2005, 7:28 PM
havin probs findin it.....
 Darth333
10-17-2005, 8:35 PM
Your viceo card is pretty old. If you want to be able to run this game without problems you better upgrade it as mentioned by TheOssusKeeper.

Anways, if you still want to upgrade drivers only, you can go to http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp) :)
 Darth Sion
10-17-2005, 9:13 PM
I've upgraded them already with te latest ones
 ChAiNz.2da
10-18-2005, 8:49 AM
Hey Darth Sion,

The reason you're having problems is because the MX Series cards doesn't fully support Open GL. It's not going to matter what drivers you are using :(

You'll need an entirely new video card in order to fix your problem. KotOR's/TSL's own readme states the the MX Series card isn't fully supported...
 Darth Sion
10-18-2005, 5:19 PM
I might need to mention I was able to play it when I first got it which was a year or two back.
 stingerhs
10-18-2005, 10:02 PM
well, unless you go through and wipe your HD clean or run through a thorough registry/HD cleanup, you'll likely find that the easiest solution is to just simply get a new card. the point is that a lot of things can change on a computer in the span of "a year or two" unless you haven't used it in that time span. viruses, spyware, different user installed programs, and even the aging of the hardware itself all makes an impact on how your system runs over the course of time. it may run top notch when you first get it, but you'll find that with wear comes a lot of tear.

and not to mention that in the tech world, things change rapidly, and that includes both software and hardware. gaming software in particular is primarily designed to work with the latest and greatest hardware while older hardware is just simply 'supported'. in other words, there isn't a lot of attention paid to it other than to make sure that the game works right. with the release of games like 'Battlefield 2' that don't even support a GeForce4, its getting more and more apparant that software designers are designing their products for the latest and greatest, not the 5-6 year old technology that only a handful of people are using.

if your insistant on trying to run the game on your computer, the only options i can suggest would be to run a thorough virus and spyware scan and take a look around the internet for programs that can optimize your registry and startup programs so that things work better. or you can take the time to save all your valuable data on the computer and wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows and put all the other important programs back onto your computer. then, you might stand a chance of getting the game to run, but don't get your hopes up.

if your time is valuable, you might want to consider that a video card upgrade to a GeForceFX 5200 is less than $50, and it will take considerably less time to install the video card than it will be to try out both of the options previously mentioned.

hope that helps. :)
 ChAiNz.2da
10-19-2005, 8:45 AM
I might need to mention I was able to play it when I first got it which was a year or two back.
That's why I said it didn't fully support Open GL. ;)

The MX Series doesn't have pixel shading.. period. KotOR/TSL uses pixel shading.

When the game runs into an area where it's wanting to use something that's not there... then you get glitches as the card is trying to convert back to Direct2D... sometimes it works.. other times.. you get glitches.

If you don't want to believe me, then here's LucasArts answer.

Q: What video cards are supported by Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords?
A: Below is a list of the video cards that are supported by Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. A 32MB OpenGL 1.4 compliant AGP or PCX 3D graphics card with Hardware T&L (Transform and Lighting) is required.

ATI Radeon 8500/9000/9200
ATI Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800
ATI Radeon X300/X600/X700/X800
Nvidia GeForce 2/3/4 Family
Nvidia GeForceFX family
Nvidia Geforce 6 family

NVIDIA GeForce 2 and GeForce 4 MX Chipsets
When playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II on a card with one of these chipsets, you may experience the following issues: Smoke effects may severely impact framerate when playing at a resolution higher than 1024x768. If this occurs, we recommend that you select a lower resolution.
You may see lines around buttons and dialog boxes when FSAA or Anisotropic Filtering is enabled. If this occurs, we recommend that you disable these features.
Performance may be slow during combat.
You may experience missing textures on character models when playing the game with High Textures enabled. If this occurs, lowering your texture settings should resolve this issue.
Textures may drop out or they may display incorrectly when playing at 1600x1200. If this occurs, we recommend that you select a lower resolution.
You may lock up at a black screen after selecting 1600x1200 for the Screen Resolution.
Frame Buffer Effects will not be displayed in the game.
You may experience color banding in sky textures.
Page: 1 of 1