Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Weapon That Killed Aunt & Uncle

Page: 2 of 2
 Kurgan
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Interesting. I thought the "Tales from Jabba's Palace" and "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" were retconned as just being the kind of wild stories you'd hear some old drunken spacers tell around the glow lamp, considering some of the stuff is contradicted by the Special Edition changes.

I don't own that particular book so I can't say that I've read the particular story in question. Can you quote any relevant passages? I also am less than familiar with SWGB, not having really checked it out since the demo... though that would be nice supporting source, even if it is a game. I'm sure the device would exist, the question is, is it what was really used on the Lars homestead...
 Darth_Malak02
03-08-2006, 5:39 PM
ok...this is a quote from the book...Davin Felth's commander issues these orders...(davin felth is a stomrtrooper)

"'Floating fortress, this house needs to be left as a reminder of what happens when quarter is given to the rebels. fire when ready."

it doesn't exactly say that it is an artillery, I suppose it could be some sort of atmospheric battleship, I just assumed it was a hover artillery...
 Fate's Decision
03-08-2006, 7:17 PM
!!
Perhaps there is much more to the Star Wars series than meets the eye...could this be the only clue Lucas left behind as to how Star Wars really went down? Maybe he tried to get the audience to concentrate on the petty things so they would miss the big picture...
 Kurgan
03-09-2006, 1:58 AM
Why would the Stormtroopers want to make an "example" of the Lars? And how did they "give quarter" to the Rebels (I thought "give quarter" meant to spare their lives by taking them prisoner, but in this case it sounds like they're using the term "quarter" as in "quartering troops in your home")? Luke wasn't a part of the Rebellion at this point, nor was Owen, or Obi-Wan that we know of. The Stormtroopers went out of their way to make their slaughter of the Jawas look like the work of the Tusken Raiders.

Plus, with what they left behind, how would anyone know that this is what happens to Rebel "quarter-givers"? What evidence would they have that this had to be the work of the Empire?

And why would an aerial (orbital?) weapon be so weak?

This story is fishy...
 TSR
03-20-2006, 5:13 AM
oh no! old peopel! call in the artillery! they'll kill us all! they smell of wee and death! burn them!!!!!
 PoiuyWired
05-03-2006, 7:17 PM
what kind of sadistic stormtrooper would sit there for hours shooting a human corpse until it turned into a smoldering skeleton haha

Its fun to be Evil!

And being a Sadist is tons of fun.

Either that, or the stormies are out of rations.

I mean, those bones are picked clean, and charboiled... you don't get that skeletal look from a burning body out in the (relatively) open.
 St. Jimmy
06-06-2006, 9:41 AM
Cannible Stormtroopers that didn't get to finish their meal?
 Davinq
07-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah, um, there were some Rebels defending the Lars' as the Stormtroopers attacked, a Bothan struck with an incinerator and missed - sort of.
 Nedak
07-28-2006, 2:38 PM
Didn't they just burn the place after they'd shot 'em?

What would be the point of burning the place anyways?
 TK-8252
07-28-2006, 2:41 PM
What would be the point of burning the place anyways?

To hide the evidence?
 Nedak
07-28-2006, 3:03 PM
Yea that’s true. So then what would have happened is the Troopers stormed the building most likely, interrogated Uncle, and Aunt Owen, Searched the place, killed them and put their bodies right next to each other outside and burned them to make it look like an accident.
 PoiuyWired
07-28-2006, 5:48 PM
Come to think of it, it might be some kind of high powered microwave gun... either that or a really friggin huge oven. (Think, a easy-bake oven and a hamster, only in a larger scale)
 Nedak
07-28-2006, 6:24 PM
But then how did they get outside?
 Davinq
07-29-2006, 1:49 AM
They were interrogated Daala style (muscle dystrophy) and dragged outside, where they were... *insert burn theory here*
 PoiuyWired
07-29-2006, 6:23 PM
I think the only logical reason would be them getting roasted INSIDE the house, then dragged out. kinda like what you do after your food in the oven is overdone.

Otherwise its hard to have that damage done outdoors.

Either that or dewbacks actually spout fire like dragons.
 MachineCult
07-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I always thought it looked like they had been trying to run away.
 St. Jimmy
07-29-2006, 11:23 PM
The Stormies could have been going to move the bodies and then recieved new orders or just couldn't be bothered anymore... so left them were they had already got them to... Just another possibility.
 PoiuyWired
07-30-2006, 7:50 PM
Maybe they expact the Wamp Rats (or other critters) to come and eat the roasted bodies, but Luke & Crew arrives too early.
 Great Scott!
08-10-2006, 11:09 PM
R5 unit technicallyThis R2 unit has a bad motivator, look!I think Luke knows a little more about droids. :lips1:
 coupes.
08-10-2006, 11:15 PM
I think Luke knows a little more about droids. :lips1:
Yet, his name is R5-D4 (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/r5d4/index.html).
 Great Scott!
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I know, but in some way "R2 unit" must make sense if Luke is going to call it that...
 PoiuyWired
08-11-2006, 3:01 PM
Yet, his name is R5-D4 (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/r5d4/index.html).

I thought he is called skippy the Jedi Droid or something XD
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-11-2006, 8:07 PM
They just burned the place and them down. Plain and simple. Although I like Troops' theory:D.

Well, even if SW.com somehow was canon we can still speculate on what they shot them with and what they burned the place with!Right. Starwars.com is as inaccurate as they get.

I know, but in some way "R2 unit" must make sense if Luke is going to call it that...Luke is wrong. Plain and simple.
 Great Scott!
08-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I thought he might just be wrong, but I think he should've been R2-D4 or something just so it would've been right. But whatever.
 coupes.
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Only Star Wars geeks can turn the smallest detail into a full blown argument :^:

...well maybe trekies too :p
 Jan Gaarni
08-12-2006, 3:39 AM
And if you put those 2 together ..... :D

Total mayhem. ;)
 PoiuyWired
08-12-2006, 12:59 PM
now... if you put them against each other at a con... Priceless.
 Jediking12
04-29-2009, 1:03 PM
The House was on fire so they were incenirated
 Blix
05-01-2009, 2:18 AM
I think a disintegration blaster is what turned Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru into KFC original recipe...
 M@RS
05-01-2009, 9:12 PM
The House was on fire so they were incenirated

I think a disintegration blaster is what turned Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru into KFC original recipe...

Guys, this thread is nearly 3 years old. Let it R.I.P. :)
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-17-2009, 8:57 PM
I always thought the cannon explanation was it was a thermal detonator
 TKA-001
12-19-2009, 3:34 PM
To Mission Command, Imperial-class Star Destroyer Devastator,

Command, this is Sergeant Mod Terrik of 501st Legion Zeta Squadron, Desert Sands unit. We are still on the trail of the two droids which escaped from the Tantive IV. After following the tracks, we eventually discovered that the two droids we are after were found by a band of indigenous Jawas. We followed their sandcrawler and, in compliance with standard procedure for military data recovery, destroyed the vehicle and killed all of its occupants (my men assured me that they would make it looks like the indigenous Sand People were responsible for the massacre). As it turned out, however, the rebel droids had already been sold to the residents of a moisture farm in the Great Chott Salt Flats, near the Jundland Wastes.

We've staked the place out, and my men have informed me that, after conducting extensive scans, they have concluded that the two droids are not on the premises. The farmers haven't spotted us, and we are prepared to move in after we are given clearance.

Before we do so, however, I hereby request a supply drop from the Devastator. In order to complete this mission in accordance with relevant Imperial regulations, our squad is going to need some heavier ordinance.

The Imperial Military Code for handling such delicate operations as this directly states that in such a situation that we find ourselves in, "local civilians should are to be dispatched with the most brutal means available" (Chapter 9Aii, Paragraph B2741-J). As such, we are in need of a supply drop of at least three Merr-Son FX/27a flamethrowers (or "plasma rifles", as they are sometimes called), plus a crate of high-grade thermal explosives. While I am aware that my squad members do carry one thermal detonator each, they are not sufficient to complete the designated operation, which requires that "any structures within sight of the central target are to be razed to the ground, if possible" (Paragraph B2741-K). Our relatively weaker thermal grenades will not be able to accomplish this task, even at their highest-yield settings.

While I suppose we can get by on the razing requirement with improvised explosive devices (IEDs), I must stress here that the flamethrowers are mandatory. It is "absolutely necessary" that all civilian targets are to be dispatched "with enough force to remove or vaporize most or all of the skin and muscles on their bodies", or to "reduce them to an entirely unrecognizable state," on the grounds that such measures are "totally ****ing badass" (Paragraph B2741-Lvii). The flamethrowers are the most efficient means by which this can be effected (I understand the new Incinerator trooper corps. was formed for this exact purpose). While we can produce similar results with our standard infantry weapons, I believe that it would be an unsightly waste of ammunition. Although some soldiers would think that simply shooting the targets would be enough, Imperial Protocol (Paragraph B2740-A) specifically determines such methods to be "for pussies." We therefore cannot shirk on this regulation in the name of expediency, sir.

Again, the explosives are not entirely necessary, but the flamethrowers are mandatory. I do not know why we were not issued this equipment when we landed, but I suppose it is of no matter. Whatever the reason, it is imperative that the supply drop is made ASAP so we can continue with our mission.

Signed,
Sergeant Mod Terrik, Zeta Squadron Commanding Officer
Desert Sands Environmental Unit, 501st Stormtrooper Legion
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-20-2009, 8:05 AM
Where did you get this?
 TKA-001
12-21-2009, 6:20 PM
Are you talking to me? If so, I wrote it myself.
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-23-2009, 4:32 PM
Yeah I was and that's cool then
 Lord B@nE
12-02-2013, 1:04 PM
Seeing Lars and his wife owned a moister farm the storm troopers could of exploded one of them pressure guages which prolly was under alot of pressure to collect water and something made the entire place to combust. Something i was pondering myself aswell
 Obi-Wan Bologna
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I thought I saw an explanation somewhere recently that said it was Boba Fett who did the job. "No desentagration"
 Lord B@nE
12-17-2013, 2:41 PM
that was pretty elaborate and i feel the darkside within you
 Kurgan
12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
As we're speculating on how it happened, the out-of-universe reason is that Lucas wanted his movie to be taken "seriously" as sci-fi action and not just a "kiddie" flick, so he threw in some burning skeletons to guarentee a "PG" rating (no PG-13 existed at the time). Skeletons are cheaper to pull off convincingly than gore makeup and say "atrocity" pretty easily to show the Empire as evil.

PLUS, he was going for another film homage to "The Searchers" (a classic John Ford western he referenced again in Episode II as Anakin massacres the Tuskens). Lots of people know that Lucas was inspired by Kurosawa and WWII movies, but they're not the only sources for "Star Wars."
Page: 2 of 2